Input

Need y'alls input. I'm trying to find a flexplate and a torque converter for my 2000 suburban 5.3 4x4. I've been looking on the web but cant seem to find what im looking for. From my guess the engine along with the torque converter have been replaced at one point. Would it be best to replace the whole engine instead of guessing what is wrong with it? There's this ticking sound coming from the flexplate/torque converter section. I've posted in the past about this and still haven't figured out what the problem is. Any input would be good thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Torque the TC to flex plate bolts.  When I pulled the engine on my 00 Sierra, 2 of the 3 were finger tight.  I thought it was a spun rod bearing until I got the motor out and removed the pan.

They are kind of a bear to get to.  You have to pull the starter and rotate the engine until they show up in the starter opening.

The flexplates can crack on the LS truck engines.  If removing the transmission is within your capability, I'd pull it and check the plate first. 
Would I have to drop the trans completely. Well duh right lol. Would anything else have to be removed as it is a 4x4

Torque the TC to flex plate bolts.  When I pulled the engine on my 00 Sierra, 2 of the 3 were finger tight.  I thought it was a spun rod bearing until I got the motor out and removed the pan.

They are kind of a bear to get to.  You have to pull the starter and rotate the engine until they show up in the starter opening.
Already tried that they were tight but will look into it again

12 hours ago, arielleon90 said:

Would I have to drop the trans completely. Well duh right lol. Would anything else have to be removed as it is a 4x4

Driveshaft, transfer case, transmission.  If it was an older 4L60, you could try looking by removing the lower part of the bellhousing, but the newer ones went to a 1 piece bellhousing.  There might be an inspection plug you can pull, but you might not be able to see it good enough. 

Driveshaft, transfer case, transmission.  If it was an older 4L60, you could try looking by removing the lower part of the bellhousing, but the newer ones went to a 1 piece bellhousing.  There might be an inspection plug you can pull, but you might not be able to see it good enough. 
Guess I'll just go ahead and remove all these things just to save time n be there guessing wat to drop wat not to.

Not necessarily.  And while you have to disconnect everything (driveshaft's, wiring harness, cooling lines), you don't have to drop the transmission to do it, you should be able to just shift the transmission back a couple of inches to be able to look at it and get a torque wrench on the bolts.

Mine had Allen head bolts.  Only access was through the starter hole.  If you pull the tranny, I'd just replace the TC an flex place.  Once you have them out you should be able to get them matched up with new parts.

What was different about the day it seemed ok?  Weather, temperature, full or empty tank, did you use a different gas station.... ect?  If you can figure out what's different, it may help diagnose the issue.

Not really much of a difference in anything only thing would be the weather. The day I stopped hearing the ticking it was warm out. Today it's freezing out n still no noise the weather down here is crazy. There was the one day I took a drive out to a city a couple miles away maybe 25-30 min drive. Before I took it the noise was there and wen I got back home the noise was no more. I was doing 85-90 mph not safe but my way of driving. Like I said besides that little trip nothing has changed in gas only temperature.

Archived