Active grill shutter system removal

I am on a mission to figure out how to remove the active grill shutter system from my truck without having to live with a CEL so I can install the RC 30" light bar behind the grill.

I have a Diablo i3 and can easily clear the code and reset the light, but it will just keep coming back.

I've read posts of folks hacking up the assembly and stowing away the motor with the stops glued to it?  This sounds too backwoods and unreliable for me.  There has to be another way.  Is this system controlled via the BCM?  If so, perhaps Chris White can hack the BCM to forget it had the shutters?  

The light bar sits at the very bottom of the shutter assembly.  I know the bottom two shutters can be removed easily, but guys are saying the bar still won't fit.  I assume it is the "center spine" hump running vertically in the middle of the assembly where the motor is located that is interfering with the bar?  Can just the lowermost portion of this hump be cut out to make room for the bar?

Let's brainstorm together and make this happen!

Can I just remove all the shutters from the assembly and cut on the two yellow lines to free up the portion with the motor and stops?  Wouldn't this keep it all intact so I can just stow it away somewhere out of the way?  What is there to glue to the motor if I do it this way?

s-l1600.jpg

9 minutes ago, Crstfr said:

so what is the downside of removing this..?.. 

The CEL just keeps coming back because it thinks something is wrong.  Can be annoying when you know why its there and you want it gone for good.  Makes the truck seem a little less hacked together.  

20 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

The grill is no problem - it goes IN FRONT OF the grill shutters. 

I'm trying to install a lightbar BEHIND the grill - that's where the shutters become a problem.

Ok great. I was worried about the depth. since this grill is more recessed. I wanted to install a lightbar also so hopefully someone can help.

My shutters make the heater work alot faster for sure. Comparing my 16 to my 17 I can say that definitively. Beyond the heater I don't know that they do much else.

I don't understand why everyone goes crazy for these LED lights that are illegal to run on public highways, and 2016 and newer lights are really good anyway.

These work great offroad if that's the goal though, as I have them on my Polaris Ranger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really surprised a company like rough country hasn't come out with a plug in error eliminator. I'm sure it would sell well with the amount of people wanting to remove these for various reasons.  I would hate to cut up the factory part as I',m sure its expensive (anyone know the actual cost?)

I ended up just getting the rough country Bull Bar with the built in 90W led bar because I couldn't be bothered with the amount of work to get the LED bar in the grill.

jhds54y.jpg

Has anyone had a problem with this, replacing the grille? I just purchased a new grille and want to install but now worried I might run into a problem. Here is the grill 

27023762_1736023849753315_2514904338691965312_o.thumb.jpg.4f570cffa47c72fde5c13c50f33433b6.jpg

That looks nice. What’s the brand?

Edit: I see it says race mesh now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
Can I just remove all the shutters from the assembly and cut on the two yellow lines to free up the portion with the motor and stops?  Wouldn't this keep it all intact so I can just stow it away somewhere out of the way?  What is there to glue to the motor if I do it this way?
s-l1600.thumb.jpg.d2572acbffbeaea46a291e0fdea1fa08.jpg
Good idea I think it should work. Have you tried to do your idea?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, alodawg26 said:

Why are you wanting to remove this? 

It's earlier in the thread.  He's trying to make room for a light bar behind the grille.