Service Prices Question

I was at the dealer this morning for an oil change and they told me that on my next visit I should expect to pay about $1k.  They told me I'd need TC, F&R difs serviced ($400), Brake Fluid flush ($250), Transmission Flush ($200) and the oil change.  These prices seem a little inflated to me. the 4wd components especially so.  Are these normal prices? 

FWIW, I'm right at 49,000 miles and the truck is running great and sees a weekly jaunt through the muddy dirt. 

I'm sure I could (and probably will) do the TC/Diffs myself, but I don't like cracking the brakes open much and I don't trust automatic transmissions for anything  ...not since the incident.

Did they offer the muffler bearing grease at $59.95?

I admit that I have not read the service intervals yet, but just why would the brakes need flushing when they should still have 1/2 of the pad life left at 49K miles?

24 minutes ago, muddkatt said:

Did they offer the muffler bearing grease at $59.95?

I admit that I have not read the service intervals yet, but just why would the brakes need flushing when they should still have 1/2 of the pad life left at 49K miles?

Got me, but it's on the table at 45k.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2015/chevrolet/silverado_1500/2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500.pdf

No muffler bearings, but I'm thinking of changing the tape in my backup camera... It is spring after all.  :D

Actually, muffler bearing grease isn't quite the joke it used to be since they added the flapper valve.  It probably could use a bit of lube now and then.

$250 for a brake fluid flush?  That's a bit nuts.  I do that myself on all the vehicles I own.  I always do the entire system when I change brakes.  Unless you live in an extremely humid area or you fluid has turned dark, you can probably let that one go a while.  You can probably do both diffs and the transfer case for less than $75 in fluid costs.  I would go ahead and do the tranny, but I might look for a less expensive shop.  I see $129 deals all the time and even get coupons like that in the mail from local dealers.

The Blinker fluid is what is really expensive. Just wait till they quote changing that out...........................it could be more than the depreciated value of the truck! 

Personally id do everything myself but the brake fluid.  Change that whenever it needs brakes.  Makes it an easier job.  Rear diff is crazy easy.  Front is a bit harder but still very simple.  Its been said that its probably less than $75 worth of fluid.  I've heard that dropping the pan to change the filter on these transmissions is pretty difficult.  I wonder if they plan to flush it and leave it with the original filter?  Either way, sounds exorbant and unnecisary.  I would stop taking my truck there as soon as the oil changes stopped being free.  Dealers always charge big for labor.  There isnt a reason to use them for anything but warranty work or special situations that require their tools.  

my work truck 2014 GMC Sierra I took it in for a recall told me radiator was leaking and that there was TSB on it , it used a quart of water in 80,000 mi they said we will do a 100,000 mi service for total $3,700 I call our fleet manager and got the ok , they gave me a 2018 yukon loaner so i wasnt complaining, came back a day later and they told me $ 4500 , I said we agreed on a price and my fleet manager will not pay it,  after back and forth they reluctantly remove the extra charges , 

when I looked at the bill for labor it was $ 2500, I told them before I gave it to them I just put a new battery in , they still charged my company $89.99 to say "yes it is a new battery " and $ 300.00 for a radiator flush , I am like wait shouldnt that be included with the new radiator ? "no"  we flush the motor too , I asked why the extra charge ? "well the belts got wet so we changed them" why did nobody call and tell me the extra $500 was added to the bill " well we were busy and was going to explain it to you when you picked it up" Really $500 for a belt I could buy one $30 the most !!!  I would not let them work on my own truck like that,

I feel sorry for everyone that goes through this, with no idea how much they rip you off at the dealer for these , and to tell you the truth brake fuild change is the biggest BS of all time the oil is there only as a fluid slug to pressure the brake cylinder ,

I got the same feedback from the dealer when I went in for a TSB repair.  I am at 70k miles and just bought all of the stuff off of amazon to do the trans filter and fluid, front and rear diffs and transfer case.  All parts/fluids were AC Delco and cheaper than i could get locally.  It was $180 worth of materials and 3 hours of my time. I am going to hold off a bit on the brake flush and do that when I need to change brakes.  They wanted $150 just for that service.

I know not everyone has the mechanical ability or the know how to do your own work but these are fairly simple things to do.  Plan on it taking a good part of your day and getting a little dirty but in the end you will know more about your truck, learn something new, and save quite a bit of money.  

Rear diff is easy, I would buy a new gasket though.

Front Diff is more of a pain, I use a hand pump to fill the front diff up with (on previous chevys)

Transfer Case is easy, just don't over tighten the fill plug when your done, it is an aluminum case.

Brake fluid is something I just don't mess with unless it is really dirty or I introduce air in the system like when changing out a caliper or master cylinder.  On my motorcycles I use speed bleeders and they are just plain awesome!  You replace your oem bleeder with these and then bleeding brakes becomes a one man job.  My last two silvys went 10+ years with the original brake fluid and all of the company trucks I have had we never touch the brake fluid.

3 hours ago, Artie61 said:

100,000 mi service for total $3,700

OMG!  This kind of  service estimate would find me looking to trade-in!  IMO, $700 is a lot, but expected at such a major service interval.  I question the $2500 labor when you picked up the truck a day later.  Did they work through the night?  I know they set the amount of time each task will take and charge you that amount even if it actually takes less time.  However, if they run into problems and take longer than estimated, watch your bill!

9 hours ago, Donstar said:

OMG!  This kind of  service estimate would find me looking to trade-in!  IMO, $700 is a lot, but expected at such a major service interval.  I question the $2500 labor when you picked up the truck a day later.  Did they work through the night?  I know they set the amount of time each task will take and charge you that amount even if it actually takes less time.  However, if they run into problems and take longer than estimated, watch your bill!

the radiator was replaced with this price , I think they used 5 mechanics LOL , but this is a fleet owned truck so I guess they can get away with it, my fleet manager OK'ed the price , I am sure when the owner sees it , there will be phone calls

Archived