Power steering... sensor?

Hey Guys, I have a 2005 Chev 1500 Work Truck model, 4.8L v8, auto, 4x4, tow package. 

I tried a search on here for my issue, but found only people posting the same issue as me and no one actually posted back that something fixed the issue (that I could find)

My power steering starts failing when my truck is warm, the longer it runs, the less the power steering works. It gets to the point in the summer that it's basically like manual steering and I have to crank the wheel so hard that my steering wheel starts to get a bunch of play in it. 

Someone said that it could be the power steering sensor, but I just don't know why it would start working fine when I start up the truck and get worse as I drive more? 

Has anyone had this problem and has found the cause for it? The pump whines when it's struggling too, it gets louder/worse when the wheel is harder to turn, but it's not a bad sound, just a labored power steering pump thats making up for something not working. 

Any help is awesome 

Thanks 

I've had a similar issue with the truck at work.  One second it will be fine and another you'll have to crank on the wheel with 2 hands to get where you need to go.  A lot of work has been done and sadly it hasnt been fixed.  

This may be a dumb question, but it does have enough fluid in it right?  Have you tried changing the fluid?  Redline ps fluid has quieted noisy pumps for me in the past.

If non of that works, I would replace the pump and lines.  Obviously, the only part left after will be the steering box if the pump and lines don't fix it.

22 hours ago, carnau said:

Sounds to me like you have a hose that's collapsing. Check and see if the rubber part of the hose looks collapsed when it is giving you a hard time.

That's a good idea, I'm going to check that! Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Mike GMC said:

This may be a dumb question, but it does have enough fluid in it right?  Have you tried changing the fluid?  Redline ps fluid has quieted noisy pumps for me in the past.

If non of that works, I would replace the pump and lines.  Obviously, the only part left after will be the steering box if the pump and lines don't fix it.

Ya it sure has enough fluid, always clean, always between full cold/full hot. I haven't tried changing the fluid because it's pretty clean, and it's quiet when it's not struggling, I think I'll try replacing lines based on above recommendation and go from there. 

19 minutes ago, Dilljeepo said:

That's a good idea, I'm going to check that! Thanks! 

Ya it sure has enough fluid, always clean, always between full cold/full hot. I haven't tried changing the fluid because it's pretty clean, and it's quiet when it's not struggling, I think I'll try replacing lines based on above recommendation and go from there. 

For as inexpensive as the parts are. I personally would replace the pump and the lines.

Pump - http://amzn.to/2FWGVf7

pressure Line - http://amzn.to/2FXeugY

Return Line - http://amzn.to/2G1xrz8

Archived