Locking Diff- G80

Has anyone had issues with their rear ed not unlocking at slow speeds, mostly while turning?  a few times now in parking lots at 5 MPH or doing a U-Turn my rea end has locked under no throttle input and i get a lot of hopping and popping.

Has anyone had issues with their rear ed not unlocking at slow speeds, mostly while turning?  a few times now in parking lots at 5 MPH or doing a U-Turn my rea end has locked under no throttle input and i get a lot of hopping and popping.
Your rear end shouldn't be locking up in the first place as 5mph isn't fast enough to create the rpm difference in wheel speed needed to engage the g80. How ever with that said when I do things to make mine engage it takes a few tire rotations going straight before it unlocks.

Sent from my xperia xz premium using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, jauldusmc said:

Your rear end shouldn't be locking up in the first place as 5mph isn't fast enough to create the rpm difference in wheel speed needed to engage the g80. How ever with that said when I do things to make mine engage it takes a few tire rotations going straight before it unlocks.

I agree, it should not be locking.  Just going to need to take it to the shop i guess.  Was curious if anyone else had it happen. 

I agree, it should not be locking.  Just going to need to take it to the shop i guess.  Was curious if anyone else had it happen. 
Probably your best bet especially if you still have your warranty!

Mine was doing it so bad that I pulled the cover off the rear end and was expecting to see chunks of metal in there. Luckily none found. I replaced the fluid in the differential and the locking up during turning in the parking lots went away. This was at about 175,000 miles. (no wty)  I'm not sure what the maintenance intervals are on differential fluid is supposed to be, but with the locking rear be sure to use the recommended type of fluid.

Not sure on the specified interval for the truck you reference, but I can guaranty it isn't 175k!  I usually change mine every 50k for limited slip or lockers, 75-100k for open diffs.

The G80 did that in my last truck. It would lockup quite frequently, when it wasn't supposed to. The only solution I found was to take it out and replace it with a Truetrac. 

How does the Truetrac perform vs the g80?

1 hour ago, 6TEEN5.3 said:

How does the Truetrac perform vs the g80?

It's much smoother when engaging.The G80 can often engage with a noticeable clunk, or bang. The Truetrac is seamless.

The TT doesn't lock both axles together, but rather sends power to the wheel with the most traction. In slow situations, such as in snow, say when you're only going a few miles an hour, it can sometimes chuck from side to side quickly, but it usually keeps you moving forward without going sideways.

At the same time, you can flick the truck sideways at faster speeds & do donuts etc, without worry of the diff exploding, which is what can happen with the G80.

1 hour ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

It's much smoother when engaging.The G80 can often engage with a noticeable clunk, or bang. The Truetrac is seamless.

The TT doesn't lock both axles together, but rather sends power to the wheel with the most traction. In slow situations, such as in snow, say when you're only going a few miles an hour, it can sometimes chuck from side to side quickly, but it usually keeps you moving forward without going sideways.

At the same time, you can flick the truck sideways at faster speeds & do donuts etc, without worry of the diff exploding, which is what can happen with the G80.

What brand and part number was your trutrac? I having trouble finding one for the k2 trucks 

Archived