Locking Diff- G80

6 hours ago, Nasty said:

What brand and part number was your trutrac? I having trouble finding one for the k2 trucks 

My last truck, which I swapped the G80 for the TT, was a GMT800. 

There was a couple other recent threads about the Truetrac and K2's in this forum, just in the past month.

Apparently, there is a solution to getting a Truetrac to fit on a K2. I believe there is a spacer ring needed.  See this thread:

Edited by Nanotech Environmental

Complaints about the G80 are often the result of the driver and not the G80. Spinning the tires is going to cause it to lock, it's also going to trigger the traction control system.  Read up on TC, you will see it will activate the brake on the spinning wheel only by pulsing it to stop the spin to gain traction.  The noise it likely the TC kicking in.

7 hours ago, elcamino said:
Complaints about the G80 are often the result of the driver and not the G80. Spinning the tires is going to cause it to lock, it's also going to trigger the traction control system.  Read up on TC, you will see it will activate the brake on the spinning wheel only by pulsing it to stop the spin to gain traction.  The noise it likely the TC kicking in.

Yes, my point. Doesn't even sound like the "clunk" of a G80 locking. Watching the video it sounds like TC pulsing the brakes.

Edited by cire0309

10 hours ago, elcamino said:

I shouldn't have to wire switches to the ABS fuses to shut off all "aids" when off road. Having TC brake the wheels when you don't want them to is only causing more pain to the already painful G80. This causes the rear end to lock/unlock multiple times in a situation that a little wheel spin and a locked rear end would get you out no problem. Even when you turn off TC and SYS with the button, it is still somewhat active, you need to pull ABS fuse as well. It seems counter-intuitive to have two systems working against each other, especially off road. 

• Like 1

Then you should have done your research before buying a modern pickup truck, they all have TC and other computer controlled systems.  If you want a simple truck to do a little off roading in then get you an 800 series or older.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 11:01 PM, elcamino said:

I think that (in bold) is only true in a small amount of cases. The G80 has been heavily documented as trouble prone & when one looks at the design, it's easy to see why. It's an inherently screwball design that has heavy shock loads happen when it's supposed to engage. Those shock loads ultimately cause many of the units to fail. It's a design that looks great on paper, but has issues in the real world.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2018 at 7:44 AM, 10SierraA.T. said:

I shouldn't have to wire switches to the ABS fuses to shut off all "aids" when off road. Having TC brake the wheels when you don't want them to is only causing more pain to the already painful G80. This causes the rear end to lock/unlock multiple times in a situation that a little wheel spin and a locked rear end would get you out no problem. Even when you turn off TC and SYS with the button, it is still somewhat active, you need to pull ABS fuse as well. It seems counter-intuitive to have two systems working against each other, especially off road. 

Gm's marketing and sales department is a bunch of mouth breathers.... honestly.  You can do like me and buy a Z71 2500HD and have to wire switches in or pull fuses to disable the utterly useless stabilicrap on the truck above 35 mph wheel speeds.  I knew that and it is what it is.. wait for my detroit locker to start making it throw fits lol.

Or you can go buy an Impala and be able to disable traction and stability control at any speed and keep it off... makes sense right.  For all that "performance" oriented driving a front wheel drive crap can Impala is going to do lol.  Meat heads lol.

• Haha 1

Most of the G80 problems you read on the "net" are over hyped and most don't know what they are talking about.  I get paid to drive a truck off road and since it is not mine I beat the crap out of them.  Had plenty of GM's over the years with the G80 locker as well as hundreds of others in our fleet over the last 20 years and none of them have had the rear end "grenade".  If myself and the guys I work with can abuse our work trucks and not have any problems then the weekend warrior should not have any troubles either.

• Like 1

I know the older G80 was called a "gov-bomb" because they tended to grenade if abused...they would cough parts out through the cover if it was really bad.

I really haven't read of any discernable trend with the newer trucks to speak of...mine has 130k miles, still works as advertised. If there are issues, they appear limited in number.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd