3 shooting stances: Which one's right for you?

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/articles/7981637-The-3-shooting-stances-Which-ones-right-for-you/

It's an interesting read.. 

IMO and my opinion only... Shooting at the range or competition is different than the "two-way" range. Common sense says a smaller target is harder to hit than a larger one. So offering the bad guy less target sounds wiser than offering a full frontal view.

In the fighting stance the shooters natural point of aim will be close to the target. Utilizing cover and moving off the X are my preferred options for not presenting myself as a large target.  

13 hours ago, ShawnR said:

In the fighting stance the shooters natural point of aim will be close to the target. Utilizing cover and moving off the X are my preferred options for not presenting myself as a large target.  

By natural point of aim, do you mean point shooting? Point shooting is similar to pointing one's index finger; it is, as they say, close enough.

With point shooting, I do best with 1911s, Hi-Powers and S&W M59 or M39 kind of pistols. I'm not as close with P38, P1 or most Glock pistols. I've heard it's a height of the bore axis to trigger finger and grip angle to bore. IMO, pistols are similar to shoes or one size doesn't fit all feet. :)

The easiest test of what works best is point a pistol pretending you're pointing your index finder. Then, move your head to see where it really would hit.

To me, there is a difference between cover and concealment. Cover is something that stops bullets; concealment conceals, but doesn't stop bullets.

Natural point of aim is where the gun is pointing without using any visual input to aim. Point shooting is taking the shot(s) without use of sights. Dry fire drill: Close your eyes, wait 2 seconds,  draw your gun, open your eyes and see how close to the target you are. Adjust stance as needed until the gun naturally acquires the target.

Your distinction between cover and concealment is correct.  

By natural point of aim " without using any visual input to aim" and " Dry fire drill" , it sounds similar to shooting at "sound??"

As ex-Infantry with a CIB, learning to point and hit is important. There isn't time to adjust stance; so one learns to shoot from all kinds of positions. I have competed so I know what you are saying.. OTOH, when someone is shooting back, offering less target is wise. Competitive shooting and combat. home invasion or any form of being attacked shooting are different.

It's one of those it depends situations. When shooting at multiple targets in competition, I used a stance I would not use if being shot at..

From the link. their "tactical" stance offers the most target to someone shooting at you.. Hitting a 24"x24" target is a lot easier than a 12"x12" target and so on.. Or prone with cover can be best.. :)

Edited by Yonah_Mtn
Poor spelling :D

I was taught Isoceles stance by a former Royal Marine instructor who felt that Weaver was out dated.  I am about to start a four-day defensive pistol course at Front Sight where they teach Weaver stance.  From their videos, it appears most students evolve to Fighting stance over the course of instruction.  I was taught a careful, fighting stance in Security Officer training and this was incorporated into my shooting practise for dry shooting and live shooting at the range.  It will be interesting to see how things develop over the coming week.

23 hours ago, Yonah_Mtn said:

By natural point of aim " without using any visual input to aim" and " Dry fire drill" , it sounds similar to shooting at "sound??"

Isn't that how everyone does it??

Edited by ShawnR

Depends on what one is shooting at and if there is a family or animals in the house or neighbors close enough for shot after damage. So no, everyone doesn't shoot at sound in the darkness as one might miss and as it gives away one's position, the bad guy might have a gun.  One of the better ideas, is create "fatal funnels" were a night light silhouettes them.  

Here, no kids the forest is too thick to see the closest neighbor's flood lights at night and the Pitts don't take kindly to strangers on the property nor inside the house.

For us 1911 dyed in the wool shooters, Glocks point to the sky.  But there is a little part for the back of the grip that is sold, which I've read makes the effective grip angle like a 1911.  I've taken half a dozen simulator shoot/no-shoot scenarios.  The provided laser gun is a Glock.  I always have trouble with any instinct shots.  I really have to knuckle down and use the sights and concentrate on the unnatural grip angle.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2011/01/01/review-grip-force-adapter-for-glocks/

Edited by Spurshot

Personally, Glocks don't point well for me at all. 1911-A1, S&W M59/M39 and Browning Hi-Powers/High Powers do work for me.. To me, the stock Glock trigger feels as if I'm pushing on a rubber eraser.

Pistols and revolvers are not the one size fits all for sure. Basically, the bottom line is whatever works for you may not work for me or vice versa..  The key is whatever works for you; stick with it while accepting it may not work for me..

My wife prefers hammerless  DA wheel guns.. It works for her..  If you saw what she can do to a target with one; there isn't much one can say..

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Yonah_Mtn said:

Personally, Glocks don't point well for me at all. 1911-A1, S&W M59/M39 and Browning Hi-Powers/High Powers do work for me.. To me, the stock Glock trigger feels as if I'm pushing on a rubber eraser.

Pistols and revolvers are not the one size fits all for sure. Basically, the bottom line is whatever works for you may not work for me or vice versa..  The key is whatever works for you; stick with it while accepting it may not work for me..

My wife prefers hammerless  DA wheel guns.. It works for her..  If you saw what she can do to a target with one; there isn't much one can say..

I was thinking something like a bungee cord hooked to my truck's tailgate latch, but your description works too. LOL.  And yes, I own one of the dang things too.

"3 shooting stances: Which one's right for you?"

The 4th one, where I'm behind cover.

Edited by Spurshot

It sounds as if you would have enjoyed listening to my wife dealing with the clerk at the FFL.. He gave her the typical buy this and in .380 or the typical clerk response to women.. She said I want a hammer less snub nose revolver in .38/357.. He said why would you want that? Her answer was it is simple; in a high stress situation, nothing to do with it but point and plug.  Him: but it only has 6 shots; her when some 220 pound ape  is charging me, how many shots will I get? As the sale was going down hill rapidly; another clerk came over.. As it didn't point well for her, he swapped grips and added more to the sale.. He proved the customer is always right and by knowing what he was doing sold her a set of grips also..

We have the same thoughts about cover as compared to offering the frontal profile.. :D