I've currently got my 2015 Yukon XL (106k miles) in the shop to have the AC repaired...a different story... and the shop gave me the usual run down of issues that need to be addressed.  2 items that they mentioned where the transmission cooler lines and engine oil cooler lines were both leaking.  They are not the first shop to tell me that these are both leaking (and make it sound like there is an immediate need for replacement).  I recently replaced transmission fluid on this vehicle and inspected the lines myself and I agree that the oil cooler lines have residue around the couplers, I think leaking is a strong word for my what I am seeing.  I don't agree that the transmission lines have any issues.

My questions for everyone, is it really that uncommon to have some residue around couplers for these lines?  When I haven't seen any evidence of oil/fluid on my garage floor and neither fluid is unexpectedly dropping, any reason you'd rush out to replace these?  I certainly feel like a little residue on these lines is the reality of running a complex machine and until it is noticeably losing fluid, replacing them would be a waste of money.

Thank you for any input!

If there are no spots on the floor and the level is not dropping considerably on the dip stick then I would not worry about it. You could also clean them with some brake clean on a rag and just keep an eye on them. When you do decide to replace them just get the part # from your Dealer and look on Ebay. Dealers sell on there all the time at a discounted price with no tax and sometimes free shipping.

I agree. Sweating and weeping are not leaking. I routinely check everything at every oil change. I use brake clean when ever I have a leak and then check again soon to see if it is weeping/sweating or leaking. On my '17 nothing is weeping. Just make sure you confident they are snapped in and secured correctly. There were issues mainly with the '14 pickups where they were not snapped in correctly. My Zo6 rear diff has a similar cooling line that has to be disconnected to drain. It snaps in the same way. I didn't hear it click when reinstalling it. Pulled on it and it was in....nope gave it a yank and it popped out. Did it a second time and clearly it went in and clicked.

Unrelated to a Yukon, but i had some weeping in the connections of my coooer lines and

dealer replaced under warranty.

Just a small sweat weep. No heavy dripping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ctc4Chev
      Has anyone ever placed a light bar into the front bumper? 
      I would like to know if placing a light bar would block too much air flow to the cooler.
      If anyone has placed a light bar as shown, did it result in a cooling problem?

• By Okie72
      I just purchased a new 2018 z71 LT, and was just wondering if it came with an auxiliary external transmission oil cooler?  It has the trailering package, but not the Max package.
      Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    • By 2004KrewKab
      Hey Guys,

I want to talk about transmission coolers for a minute...So, i drive a 2004 silverado crew cab with the 5.3 4x4 z71. I've got the cold air intake, the headers, exhaust and all. i'm eventually going to drop a cam in it and probably a slightly bigger stall. BUT my first priority is keeping that trans cool!
      So i'd like to talk with you guys about transmission temps and coolers. im wanting to get a bigger trans cooler than the factory one. (mostly for dyno purposes where theres not a lot of air moving besides the engine fan and the little fan they put down...) because i really dont need a bill for a new transmission... now i know theres a lot of them out there but i want your opinion. has anyone tried the inline aluminum fin ones? single pass? double pass? anybody doing a big one in front of the radiator and maybe and inline one somewhere else for extra cooling?
      Also, can you have TOO cool of fluid? from my understanding, besides keeping everything oiled, the fluid also acts as hydraulic fluid in your solenoids? would being too cool effect the performance of those?
      Thanks in advance for any input you guys have!
    • By Swhite5.3
      My 1999 Silverado LT has 300+k miles and its got a temperature problem I'm worried about. Running down the highway at 75 the engine temp soars to about 235 but normal temp at 65 and below is 205-210. The temp comes down once I slow down but worried about it being a precursor to a larger problem. Also, the tranny runs at about 210°F when its warmed up and will start rising to 215 if left to idle. Everything I've read says it should be about 175°F. Any help would be appreciated
    • By Johnroger13
      I currently own a 2013 Suburban LS 5.3. It has the code KNP transmission cooler. I want to add additional cooling for the transmission as I have see temps in the 240 deg range when towing my 4000 lb camping trailer over the various mountain passes in Colorado. I have read virtually all of the threads on here dealing with adding an additional cooler to my burb. I am certain I could add an additional cooler with ease. However I am a believer in the KISS principal and am looking for a larger replacement cooler that would connect to the existing factory oil lines with out having to modify them. If anyone has found a cooler like this I would appreciate hearing from you.