2018 Colorado transmission issues

Kenneth Haines

Question

Question to all new truck buyers who bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado, you having any transmission issues, like slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear on the automatic floor shiftier or problems with the + and - buttons ?

Edited by txab

We've had 2 in for the torque converter shudder on the 8 speed with the V6.  One got a torque converter, the other the fluid flush fixed it. 

What engine/transmission do you have in your Colorado? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Not1lost said:

have a 2017 Canyon V6, 4x4 SLE started doing the same thing at about 12000 mi continually getting worse! The worst shudder shaking is at about 55 steady speed with slight off and on exelaration to hold the speed in cruise or whatever. However it will do it at nearly any speed at times. Yes it helps when cruising at hwy speeds to downshift to 7th but that’s not what you should have to do! Besides it will do it in 7th too when it pulls just right up a grade.I thought the tires were out of balance and took it back to the dealer which re-balanced all of them and didn’t help at all. So I have another appointment next week. Going to give them a ride and shake their teeth out to show them what it is doing! The truck only has a little over 14000 mi. On it so this is completely unacceptable! And getting worse! I noticed the transmission temp. Probably already damaged the internal parts... After all I have read on this forum and other about this I don’t think I’m going to go along with all the “we’re going to fix it crap” and tell them either buy it back or give me another “new” different kind of truck and transmission maybe like the Duramax since it has the 6 speed in it. 

——————————

update: Took it to the dealer another day and had the service manage ride with me to show him and have it documented that it will shake your teeth out while cursing. however when he got into the truck he said "I'll take a ride with you but I am well aware of this problem, I know what it is doing.” I'm sure he does... he then told me they have to go through "the process" and do triple flush to see if that fixes it. said it probably would but if not they would put a new torque converter in it. I said if that will for sure fix it why not just go ahead and put it in there? GM says have to do the flush first... yeah$$$ I told him even if it fixed it how much damage has already been done to the longevity of the truck? Oh he said the transmission is fine... yeah sure. I had the lemon law book laying in the console so he could see it but said nothing. He knew what that meant... this whole thing makes me sick. I have always trusted GM and now they are trying to cover up an obvious recall issue. sickens me.

——————————-

Update again:

Next visit to the dealership to do the triple flush on the shuddering transmission. while I was in the lobby waiting (only a few minutes) reading my lemon law book; the service manager came out and said it looks like we have an update on fixing your transmission. now GM is saying go ahead and skip the triple flush and replace the torque converter. well well, that's what I asked about to begin with if they knew it would fix it, why not!? so  they kept it about a week to replace the torque converter. I've driven it about 700 miles so far and it is very smooth, no shaking or shuddering so far. the thing that worries me is how much damage did it do to the rest of the transmission driving it with the wrong fluid in it and the torque converter going out (metal shavings pumped throughout the transmission) what is going to happen say 50,000 miles down the road? this was to be my last new truck since I am retired and on a fixed budget. I won't have the money to pay for replacing a transmission... concerned, don’t know what I should do even if it seems like it's fixed?

Any advice would be appreciated; thanks

No damage should be done.  On your paperwork, does it show a part number for the converter?  24293013?  Does it show fluid 19355656? 

Edited by newdude

On 10/5/2018 at 6:51 AM, newdude said:

damage should be done.  On your paperwork, does it show a part number for the converter?  24293013?  Does it show fluid 19355656? 

Yes that’s the exact numbers for the converter and fluid. Is that right? What does that mean to me and my concerns ?  Thanks for your reply 

10 hours ago, Not1lost said:

Yes that’s the exact numbers for the converter and fluid. Is that right? What does that mean to me and my concerns ?  Thanks for your reply 

That would indicate you have the newest updated torque converter, and the proper version of Dexron HP installed.  We did a Colorado 2 weeks ago, that got a converter about 6 months prior to that.  We put in the correct HP fluid, but used the torque converter that was available at the time.  The truck started to shudder again with the new converter, and GM had us replace that 6 month old converter with the new version that came out 2 months after we changed the first converter. 

So, you've got the right stuff in your truck, and should be good to go.  Those that we've installed a 24293013 converter on have not come back other than for regular service. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, newdude said:

So, you've got the right stuff in your truck, and should be good to go.  Those that we've installed a 24293013 converter on have not come back other than for regular service. 

I just looked again and according to the receipt it has the same numbers for the torque converter that was taken out (core return) as the one they put in???

GMC Torque converter change.png

8 hours ago, Not1lost said:

I just looked again and according to the receipt it has the same numbers for the torque converter that was taken out (core return) as the one they put in???

GMC Torque converter change.png

Your old one that came out goes back to GM as a core.  GM has a core on them to send them out for remanufacturing at one of their designated reman facilities.  No different that if you buy some new OEM alternators, or a reman caliper.  Some parts have core deposit so that they can get the old part back and remanufacture it.  GM has a core on them to send them out for remanufacturing.  The 24293013 is a new converter, not a remanufactured one.  I'm sure at some point in time that will change, but the ones going in are new. 

Edited by newdude

On 10/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, newdude said:

Thanks a lot, you have been a big help, I appreciate it.

I took my wife's 2018 Colorado in for its second oil change today (7300 miles and one year old) and told the service writer about the shudder that started some time ago and is getting worse. She said it's probably the Torque Converter.

I  just can't believe this goes back years and they haven't fixed the problem at the source.

Now waiting on the new TC to arrive at the dealership and go back for this work.

• Sad 1

On 10/20/2018 at 7:17 AM, newdude said:

The 24293013 is a new converter, not a remanufactured one.  I'm sure at some point in time that will change, but the ones going in are new. 

The point I'm trying to make is that the work order is showing THE SAME NUMBERS for the torque converters - the one taken out and sent back in (core) and the new one put in... Therefore how would you know it is THE NEW ONE? Same numbers? same part? no? I was a service supervisor for a big co before retiring and even the same part has a differing number if it has been changed or from a different manufacturer. Concerned... 

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH A HIGH MILIAGE GMC CANYON 8 SPEED - HOW MANY MILES?

Or Colorado of corse. 

I'm trying to figure out if this truck is worth keeping or I should get rid of it while its newer and worth more money? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your response.

Edited by Not1lost

11 hours ago, Not1lost said:

The point I'm trying to make is that the work order is showing THE SAME NUMBERS for the torque converters - the one taken out and sent back in (core) and the new one put in... Therefore how would you know it is THE NEW ONE? Same numbers? same part? no? I was a service supervisor for a big co before retiring and even the same part has a differing number if it has been changed or from a different manufacturer. Concerned... 

No.  The CORE number is the dealer's system returning the core into their inventory.  Its NOT a documentation of what converter came out.  Its for the parts department's core inventory.  So they billed out 24293013, and then received the core part back into their inventory, the converter that came out of your truck which could have been a 24289784, a 24285732, 24280382, etc.  Especially being you have a 2017 truck, it would have not ever had the 24293013 converter as that was a new part release as of May 2018.

I can confirm this as I work for a GM dealer in parts. 

Edited by newdude

11 hours ago, newdude said:

No.  The CORE number is the dealer's system returning the core into their inventory.  Its NOT a documentation of what converter came out.  Its for the parts department's core inventory.  So they billed out 24293013, and then received the core part back into their inventory, the converter that came out of your truck which could have been a 24289784, a 24285732, 24280382, etc.  Especially being you have a 2017 truck, it would have not ever had the 24293013 converter as that was a new part release as of May 2018.

I can confirm this as I work for a GM dealer in parts. 

THANKS A BUNCH! That is a BIG relief! I can have a little more confidence in my truck now. That's just not what I had experienced in my job at AHTD we had a different system. I was the one who had to also keep inventory on everything coming in and going out. Had me worried... Still wondering why I am seeing posts by some 2018 owners having issues as well but not 2019 owners yet. Again Thank You so much! 

14 hours ago, Not1lost said:

THANKS A BUNCH! That is a BIG relief! I can have a little more confidence in my truck now. That's just not what I had experienced in my job at AHTD we had a different system. I was the one who had to also keep inventory on everything coming in and going out. Had me worried... Still wondering why I am seeing posts by some 2018 owners having issues as well but not 2019 owners yet. Again Thank You so much! 

No problem LOL.  Sorry if I caused any confusion. 

5 hours ago, frenchman said:

I own a 2019 Colorado v6 and have the same problem with the torque converter after 1000 miles. Had the flush done and just as bad if not worst than the first time. Taking the truck back in to the dealer again today.

Sorry to hear that. I can’t believe that GM is allowing this to continue without something serious being done about it; pathetic for a company like this just brushing this aside as if it didn’t exist... I had to really push; threatening with my lemon law book to get them to do a complete torque converter replacement. I have put about 3000 miles on it since this and haven't had a problem with it since. However I still read the horror stories of it continually coming back which keeps worried. It makes me wonder if they are just doing enough to keep you driving until the warranty goes out??? I'm thankful and keep praying mine will hold up. I really love this truck in every way except this. Maybe it just takes getting the newer torque converter but your story makes me wonder about that because you would think with a 2019 it would have it already in it? This makes me even more concerned. However there may be something that they did or put in my truck and others that were finally fixed that is more expensive for them and they are reluctant to do it without a push? It did take pulling the motor and transmission and keeping the truck for a week giving me a loaner. I'm thankful that they did give me a very nice new vehicle to drive while they had it; a 2019 Acadia 'loaded' I wish you well