2018 Colorado transmission issues

Kenneth Haines

Question

Question to all new truck buyers who bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado, you having any transmission issues, like slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear on the automatic floor shiftier or problems with the + and - buttons ?

Edited by txab

On 10/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, newdude said:

That would indicate you have the newest updated torque converter, and the proper version of Dexron HP installed.  We did a Colorado 2 weeks ago, that got a converter about 6 months prior to that.  We put in the correct HP fluid, but used the torque converter that was available at the time.  The truck started to shudder again with the new converter, and GM had us replace that 6 month old converter with the new version that came out 2 months after we changed the first converter. 

So, you've got the right stuff in your truck, and should be good to go.  Those that we've installed a 24293013 converter on have not come back other than for regular service. 

Just got my 2017 3.6l Z71 back from dealer. The went straight to a torque converter and fluid flush.  Shifts very smooth and no shudder.  They kept it 4 days but washed it and gave me a new 2019 Tahoe to drive while it was in the shop.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:03 PM, Not1lost said:

Sorry to hear that. I can’t believe that GM is allowing this to continue without something serious being done about it; pathetic for a company like this just brushing this aside as if it didn’t exist... I had to really push; threatening with my lemon law book to get them to do a complete torque converter replacement. I have put about 3000 miles on it since this and haven't had a problem with it since. However I still read the horror stories of it continually coming back which keeps worried. It makes me wonder if they are just doing enough to keep you driving until the warranty goes out??? I'm thankful and keep praying mine will hold up. I really love this truck in every way except this. Maybe it just takes getting the newer torque converter but your story makes me wonder about that because you would think with a 2019 it would have it already in it? This makes me even more concerned. However there may be something that they did or put in my truck and others that were finally fixed that is more expensive for them and they are reluctant to do it without a push? It did take pulling the motor and transmission and keeping the truck for a week giving me a loaner. I'm thankful that they did give me a very nice new vehicle to drive while they had it; a 2019 Acadia 'loaded' I wish you well

Going for the 3rd flush. I have been told that the GM engineers believe that it is a fluid issue. After the second flush the transmission problem got worse than originally noticed.

• Sad 1

I bought a 2019 Colorado in November of 2018 with the V-6 and 8 speed tranny.  The build date of the truck was May of 2018.  At 900 miles the shudder started.  Dealer had it 14 days waiting for the correct ATF and then did a triple flush but no torque converter change..  200 miles later it started the shudder again and it's been in the shop for 8 days so far this time and is still there.  Dealer said GM isn't replacing torque converters anymore, there's a newer ATF out.  I don't know what they're doing to it this time but I now qualify for the lemon law and they're getting it back.

On 2/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, Yrag said:

I bought a 2019 Colorado in November of 2018 with the V-6 and 8 speed tranny.  The build date of the truck was May of 2018.  At 900 miles the shudder started.  Dealer had it 14 days waiting for the correct ATF and then did a triple flush but no torque converter change..  200 miles later it started the shudder again and it's been in the shop for 8 days so far this time and is still there.  Dealer said GM isn't replacing torque converters anymore, there's a newer ATF out.  I don't know what they're doing to it this time but I now qualify for the lemon law and they're getting it back.

If you can please keep me updated.  Looking at a 2019 ZR2 V-6 8 speed around Tampa FL.  Would love to know how yours keeps progressing.  Gives me info to process and make a better decision.

21 hours ago, bisonbumps said:

If you can please keep me updated.  Looking at a 2019 ZR2 V-6 8 speed around Tampa FL.  Would love to know how yours keeps progressing.  Gives me info to process and make a better decision.

Bisonbumps, I'm now at 26 total days of my truck being in the shop for this issue since November when I bought it.  Maybe you could go in to a dealer and talk with the service manager and see how many they've done.  GM is quick to respond to my emails about how sorry they are but they aren't fixing anything!  Just Google "Colorado shudder" and there's plenty to read.  I'll keep you posted.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:23 PM, Yrag said:

Bisonbumps, I'm now at 26 total days of my truck being in the shop for this issue since November when I bought it.  Maybe you could go in to a dealer and talk with the service manager and see how many they've done.  GM is quick to respond to my emails about how sorry they are but they aren't fixing anything!  Just Google "Colorado shudder" and there's plenty to read.  I'll keep you posted.

Well, you are going to find this not funny.  According to one tampa area service department, they are not expecting to have any 2019 colorado's coming in as they are being told that all 2019's had the offending fluid removed from use on the factory floor.  Can I ask what area of FL you are near?  Anyways, they have done approximately 12 triple flushes with the new Bosch system in the 2 weeks they have had the system and their highest mileage customers are reporting 500+ miles with no shudder.  As a result, they are being told no TC replacements are to be expected and this fluid/system is the official solution (as of now).  They have offered to allow me to pay for a triple flush using the system if I so choose.  Sigh. 

3 hours ago, bisonbumps said:

Well, you are going to find this not funny.  According to one tampa area service department, they are not expecting to have any 2019 colorado's coming in as they are being told that all 2019's had the offending fluid removed from use on the factory floor.  Can I ask what area of FL you are near?  Anyways, they have done approximately 12 triple flushes with the new Bosch system in the 2 weeks they have had the system and their highest mileage customers are reporting 500+ miles with no shudder.  As a result, they are being told no TC replacements are to be expected and this fluid/system is the official solution (as of now).  They have offered to allow me to pay for a triple flush using the system if I so choose.  Sigh. 

I bought the truck in Gainesville last Nov. and they had quite a few 2019's in stock but how many had the V-6 with 8 speed tranny, I don't know.  Dealer called me yesterday at total of 27 days in the shop and said come get it.  Said they driven and tested it and couldn't duplicate the shudder.  I drive 34 miles each way to work and this morning it seemed fine.  On the way home was a different story, it had that engine miss feeling which is the start of the shudder.  I'm hooking up the boat for the first time and see what happens.  I was told that GM isn't replacing TC's anymore, just doing a new flush.  Since mine didn't act up, they didn't do mine.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:59 AM, Not1lost said:

I just looked again and according to the receipt it has the same numbers for the torque converter that was taken out (core return) as the one they put in???

Thanks a lot, you have been a big help, I appreciate it.

My 2019 started the shudder at 900 miles.  Since Dec. 28th it's been in the shop twice for a total of 27 days.  First time they did a flush and it started shuddering again after 200 miles.  Next trip in they said they couldn't duplicate the shudder.  Also said GM just came out with a new service bulletin (February 2019) and they aren't replacing torque converter's anymore, just some kind of new fluid change.  They didn't do that to mine as they couldn't duplicate the problem.  Now have almost 4,000 miles on the truck and yesterday I backed out of the driveway, put it in drive and 1st gear was pretty long and when it shifted to 2nd it slammed REALLY hard.  Mine will slightly shudder while accelerating from a stop as well as going up a grade.  Very noticeable between 45 & 55 mph.  Two times now the radio display will start vibrating wildly and will change stations by itself and mark each one as a favorite and locks up all controls.  I've kept in constant contact with a GM senior customer service agent who assures me they will fix the truck.  No they won't.  GM turned me over to a senior agent after I asked them to either give me a different truck or my money back.  Has anyone out there had better luck getting this 8 speed tranny actually fixed and if so, how was it done?  I'm about done with this.

It is well known, and even acknowledged by GM, that the problems with this transmission cannot be fixed. Therefore, as soon as possible and with as few miles on the vehicle as possible, take it back to a dealer and request the defect be repaired. Do this several times, keeping all records of when, where, action taken (even if none), any advice or comments made by dealer persons, and if possible, record everything on video with sound. Remember it's not the dealers fault you bought a vehicle with a problem that cannot be fixed by any means, but the dealer is the one that's stuck with trying to fix it. Obtain all the information you can find on this problem, and even similar problems in other models (because the same transmission  is used in multiple other vehicles), obtain all applicable GM TCB's (such as TCB 18-NA-177 and TCB 18-NA-355) that have any bearing on the problem, and then after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts apply for Arbitration according to the requirements applicable in your state. In Arbitration, which is free to the vehicle purchaser, present all evidence regarding nature of the problem, past history and the manufacturers inability to correct these serious defects, evidence that the issue exists in the vehicle you purchased, and the history of repeated attempts by dealer(s) to fix the problem but that the problem still exists. When is all is said and done, you may be given a refund of the vehicle purchase price, a replacement vehicle having the same configuration and options, a decision to return to a dealer for further repair attempts, or no other action or remedy. In the case of the 8L45 / 8L90 transmission issues, arbitration in many states has already ordered refunds and replacement vehicles, as the problems with this model transmission have been around for so long and are so well documented. In any event, Good Luck.

2 hours ago, OldChevyNut said:

It is well known, and even acknowledged by GM, that the problems with this transmission cannot be fixed. Therefore, as soon as possible and with as few miles on the vehicle as possible, take it back to a dealer and request the defect be repaired. Do this several times, keeping all records of when, where, action taken (even if none), any advice or comments made by dealer persons, and if possible, record everything on video with sound. Remember it's not the dealers fault you bought a vehicle with a problem that cannot be fixed by any means, but the dealer is the one that's stuck with trying to fix it. Obtain all the information you can find on this problem, and even similar problems in other models (because the same transmission  is used in multiple other vehicles), obtain all applicable GM TCB's (such as TCB 18-NA-177 and TCB 18-NA-355) that have any bearing on the problem, and then after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts apply for Arbitration according to the requirements applicable in your state. In Arbitration, which is free to the vehicle purchaser, present all evidence regarding nature of the problem, past history and the manufacturers inability to correct these serious defects, evidence that the issue exists in the vehicle you purchased, and the history of repeated attempts by dealer(s) to fix the problem but that the problem still exists. When is all is said and done, you may be given a refund of the vehicle purchase price, a replacement vehicle having the same configuration and options, a decision to return to a dealer for further repair attempts, or no other action or remedy. In the case of the 8L45 / 8L90 transmission issues, arbitration in many states has already ordered refunds and replacement vehicles, as the problems with this model transmission have been around for so long and are so well documented. In any event, Good Luck.

Th

Edited by Lori Kochemba Hineman
Thank you for advice. I am extremely frustrated and hope someday to get resolution.

2017 Canyon.  Same shudder issue as described.  A bulletin is out there instructing a torque. Converter change,  

They replaced torque converted and transmission (4 days) and resolved the shudder. It still seems to be a VERY weak transmission with the jerk, delay etc. All as decribed. 

I bought a 2019 Colorado zr2 with the v6 engine. Truck had 101 miles when I left the dealer on 3-21-2019 had to have it towed back to the selling dealer on 3-27-2019. On Friday the service department informed me that they would need to rebuild my transmission. The truck only has 417 miles on it. What the hell? How do I get gm to give me another truck? I really don’t want this one back after this. Rebuilt transmission on a new truck? 

Edited by Taj2019
Just because

Bought a new 2019 Colorado zr2. Had 101 miles on odometer when I left the lot. At 417 miles I had to have it towed back to the selling dealer. They have informed me that my transmission needs rebuilt. Granted it’s under factory warranty it I don’t want the truck back. I bought this new so I wouldn’t have to deal with something like this much less after only driving it about 300 miles. How do I get gm to take this one back and get another one?

97DC723F-8739-48E7-A7A5-A153A49FE8BF.jpeg