Getting quite a bit of pulsating and steering wheel shimmy at certain speeds at this point, 30,000 miles.  That doesn't seem very good.  I plow with the truck and I've been told plowing is hard on brakes.  What is everyone else getting for life out of these brakes?

I don't plow and only tow occasionally so I may not be a accurate judge on brakes for these trucks.  I have 40k miles on my truck and the brakes have more than 1/2 left on  the pads.  The rotors are still smooth with no serious grooves .  I service  the brakes twice a year though. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I call BS on the plowing issue.  GM has historically had an issue with cheap rotors.  My last truck had rotors replaced 2x under warranty and they still sucked.  The fix was go to NAPA and buy quality rotors.  The way to tell for sure that it's bad rotors is to put a dial indicator on them and rotate and measure runout.  The gauge will tell you the story.  Sticking calipers will often create excess heat which will ruin the best rotors so at every brake job I replace calipers.  They are not that expensive and live in a very harsh environment.  

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, Skeld said:

Getting quite a bit of pulsating and steering wheel shimmy at certain speeds at this point, 30,000 miles.  That doesn't seem very good.  I plow with the truck and I've been told plowing is hard on brakes.  What is everyone else getting for life out of these brakes?

This is going off of our rates at work, but those that drive highway are pulling 60-100k on brakes on these HD trucks.  Even our heavy towers get 50-60k on fronts.  Winter and plowing use (tends to lead to corrosion buildup on the back sides of the rotors) 40-60k.  Taking everything apart once or twice a year to lube and clean prolongs issues pretty good.  You should see the buildup of friction material in the grooved areas on brake pads. 

Edited by newdude

2 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

Come on man, those are 1500 series brakes, big difference. 

I have no doubt that they are the incorrect parts for your exact vehicle. You would always want to verify fitment prior to purchasing the parts. That link is more of an example, rather than the exact item you should purchase. The brake pads in that link are ceramic. You may prefer semi-metallic, metallic, carbon fiber, etc. Try searching around Amazon, and sort by lowest price first. 

Funny..I got on here to see if others were having a issue with warped rotors. My Max tow 2015 ( yes I know it's just a half ton) just started shaking when I brake from 45 and higher. Getting off the expressway is really a shaky experience. I try to cost as much as I can now.

I have about 35,000 miles on it now. I've never replaced brakes before 100, 000 miles on a truck.. Totally ridiculous to have sub par parts on these expensive trucks.

Maybe I'm pissed because I've been GM loyal all my life and each truck I've bought since my 98 has had more and more issues. Not less like should be expected.

I really felt like blowing the damn thing up yesterday. Got it back from the dealer for trans issues. Worked good for about 2 miles.

It's been one thing after the next with this truck.

It's turning into a love/ hate relationship. .. More hate as time goes on lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/16/2018 at 12:23 PM, michigan2500hd said:

Funny..I got on here to see if others were having a issue with warped rotors. My Max tow 2015 ( yes I know it's just a half ton) just started shaking when I brake from 45 and higher. Getting off the expressway is really a shaky experience. I try to cost as much as I can now.

I have about 35,000 miles on it now. I've never replaced brakes before 100, 000 miles on a truck.. Totally ridiculous to have sub par parts on these expensive trucks.

Maybe I'm pissed because I've been GM loyal all my life and each truck I've bought since my 98 has had more and more issues. Not less like should be expected.

I really felt like blowing the damn thing up yesterday. Got it back from the dealer for trans issues. Worked good for about 2 miles.

It's been one thing after the next with this truck.

It's turning into a love/ hate relationship. .. More hate as time goes on lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Your not the only one that has this issue, I'm on my second set and ready for the third and theres only 35,000kms. I'm not hard on brakes but it seems GM cheaped out again. I could get another set under warranty but why bother if they only last for 10,000kms. Anyone have any suggestions on a good rotor that will last?

5 hours ago, High Country 6.2L/8 said:

Your not the only one that has this issue, I'm on my second set and ready for the third and theres only 35,000kms. I'm not hard on brakes but it seems GM cheaped out again. I could get another set under warranty but why bother if they only last for 10,000kms. Anyone have any suggestions on a good rotor that will last?

Ironically I just changed my rear brake pads ...again a few days ago. The fronts are still decent and they're the z36 Powerstops. 

I wanted the same for the rear this time but Amazon couldn't ship them before we left on vacation so I just grabbed a set of OEM pads and will probably order the z36 pads and rotors before winter. 

Went with

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Skeld said:

Had a 2015 and now have a 2017 2500 Silverado HD. 100k on both trucks before brakes or tires. We tow all the time, usually a GN horse trailer or a bumper pull TT. Little pulsating going down a steep hill ( Fancy Gap ) but otherwise they have served us well.  Rock Auto has a good selection of OEM parts from economy to heavy duty.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2016 gasser and live in Texas.  I got 60K miles out of my brakes and had to have all rotors turned, new pads and hardware to fix the pulsating in my steering wheel.  That is way to early on a 2500 to do anything to the brakes.  Also the guy that did the bakes said they cannot be turned again and I will have to replace all four rotors next time.  

I have two duramax's an 2002 and a 2012 that I got over 150,000 miles on before I had to change the pads.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hindsight being 20/20,  I'm guessing my issue is sticking calipers that ruin the rotors.  Truck is up to 60k miles and I had to do rotors front and rear again.  Truck is 4.5 years old, not very high miles, but a lot of winter driving, plowing, and some towing particularly in the winter.

Well mine is a 2016 2500HD with now 66,000 not only have I had to do brakes at all four corners but I had a knock in the steering wheel and the dealership just replaced upper and lower pittman arms, inner and outer tie rods, both front hubs, upper and intermediate steering shafts.  This is crazy on a 3.5 year old truck that is highway driving.  When I bought it new the dealership put a 2" leveling kit on and they are now saying that is possibly the culprit?   Bullsh..!  I had the torsion bars re-keyed I did not just crank the torsion bars.  Plus no oversized tires or anything just a 2" level.