Chevy Shake Fixed

I have had the dreaded Chevy Shake since I bought my 2015 SILVERADO last October. At 55mph it had a sudden vibration in the center console. At 70-85mph it was a noticable steady shake. At around 105-108mph it felt like the truck was going to fly apart. Now thanks to Performance Driveline out of California. It is gone. I ordered a 2 piece Driveshaft conversion kit from them. Installation was simple for any avid handy mechanical guy or girl. The heads, cam, DOD AFM delete and stall Converter was a bitch I'll admit that. But they couldn't run my truck on the Dyno due to that Chevy Shake. So I had no choice but to find a solution. It worked and I couldn't be happier. Drives smooth as glass now. At all speeds. Even yes well into 3 digit speeds it's smooth now. Having an over 6 foot paper thin driveshaft is ridiculous from the factory. I had the stock driveshaft balanced and rewelded one end was .125 out. It still had the annoying vibration. Now this fix isn't cheap it was 685.00 shipped. But like I said if I wanted it dynoed I needed a solution. Pm me or ask any questions. Chevy Shake can SUCK IT???????

• Like 2

I have had the dreaded Chevy Shake since I bought my 2015 SILVERADO last October. At 55mph it had a sudden vibration in the center console. At 70-85mph it was a noticable steady shake. At around 105-108mph it felt like the truck was going to fly apart. Now thanks to Performance Driveline out of California. It is gone. I ordered a 2 piece Driveshaft conversion kit from them. Installation was simple for any avid handy mechanical guy or girl. The heads, cam, DOD AFM delete and stall Converter was a bitch I'll admit that. But they couldn't run my truck on the Dyno due to that Chevy Shake. So I had no choice but to find a solution. It worked and I couldn't be happier. Drives smooth as glass now. At all speeds. Even yes well into 3 digit speeds it's smooth now. Having an over 6 foot paper thin driveshaft is ridiculous from the factory. I had the stock driveshaft balanced and rewelded one end was .125 out. It still had the annoying vibration. Now this fix isn't cheap it was 685.00 shipped. But like I said if I wanted it dynoed I needed a solution. Pm me or ask any questions. Chevy Shake can SUCK IT[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]
Yeah.... I traded my 2015 in and pawned my Chevy shake off on someone else! Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 10:36 PM, UrbanRage said:

How was the installation? Do you do it or have a shop? I would imagine that you would need to have precise measurements so the center support bearing is straight. 

Nope installed it in the driveway. It's easy if you are mechanical

Edited by jackgraves

Yes a pic or two would be great!  So you had the shake, and swapping out the single piece to an aftermarket two piece rear driveshaft got rid of it?  I was under there doing a swap on the transfer case fluid and caught a look at it, it's like a lumbering beast under there!

I have just over 3k miles and there is just a slight shake, but it could just be a wheel slightly out of balance because I started to feel it coincident with a tire rotation.

38 minutes ago, jackgraves said:

I'll get a picture when possible. I'll get a picture when I change the gear lube. I swapped rear end gears so I'll be under the truck again in a couple weeks

What gear set did you go with?

I installed it myself. The 2015 SILVERADO only has 35000 miles. But I replaced all the races in the housing, the bearings on the carrier are new also. New crush collar and everything torqued to spec. Crushing a new crush collar sucks Ass

• 5 months later...

My 2014 Sierra shake is fixed! I've been dealing with this issue since the truck was purchased new in May 2014. I was convinced it was the OEM tires, had them balanced and rotated several times with same results. I replaced them with Michelin Defender tires and had same issue. I took it to a GM dealer, they charged me to re balance the tires and said it "meets GM standards" for ride quality. I called BS on that. The truck still had the same issue so I was going down the axle/driveshaft route to see if that would help. I took it back to the shop I purchased the tires from (Discount Tire) and asked if they would road force balance the tires. They checked for a vibration first and one tire was out of balance. This shop did not recommend road force balancing my tires since they had around 6K miles on them. The shake was not as bad but still present. After a few months figuring out what to do, either trade the truck or just deal with the poor ride. I took it to another Discount Tire shop and asked if they would road force balance, they had no problem road forcing the tires. The tech showed me where one tire had weight all over it and said this should not be. After checking all the tires one was at 38, the tech said anything under 20 is good. Once road force balanced all tires were under 20. I was super surprised when I drove it and the shake is gone! I did the glass of water test and not a ripple up to 90 MPH. I didn't go any faster than that since I was catching traffic. I feel as if I have a new truck now and really enjoying it!

My 2014 1500 has the Texas package with 20" wheels. 

Bottom line try different tire shops before you give up. They all have balance machines but the tech operating it needs to understand what is going on. 

• Like 2

My 2014 Sierra shake is fixed! I've been dealing with this issue since the truck was purchased new in May 2014. I was convinced it was the OEM tires, had them balanced and rotated several times with same results. I replaced them with Michelin Defender tires and had same issue. I took it to a GM dealer, they charged me to re balance the tires and said it "meets GM standards" for ride quality. I called BS on that. The truck still had the same issue so I was going down the axle/driveshaft route to see if that would help. I took it back to the shop I purchased the tires from (Discount Tire) and asked if they would road force balance the tires. They checked for a vibration first and one tire was out of balance. This shop did not recommend road force balancing my tires since they had around 6K miles on them. The shake was not as bad but still present. After a few months figuring out what to do, either trade the truck or just deal with the poor ride. I took it to another Discount Tire shop and asked if they would road force balance, they had no problem road forcing the tires. The tech showed me where one tire had weight all over it and said this should not be. After checking all the tires one was at 38, the tech said anything under 20 is good. Once road force balanced all tires were under 20. I was super surprised when I drove it and the shake is gone! I did the glass of water test and not a ripple up to 90 MPH. I didn't go any faster than that since I was catching traffic. I feel as if I have a new truck now and really enjoying it!
My 2014 1500 has the Texas package with 20" wheels. 
Bottom line try different tire shops before you give up. They all have balance machines but the tech operating it needs to understand what is going on. 
Thanks for that knowledge

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk