Fuel Injectors ?

So are new to us vehicle 2017 Suburban with the 5.3 with 39,000 miles on it. Have put a whopping 2,000 miles on it owned it for about 40 days.

Had a PO50D code and had a miss.

Took it to the dealer they say needs cylinder 1 and 3 injectors replaced. “The Chevy tech believes this will fix the code and miss” (Not covered under powertrain warranty) this seems like a common issue via google.

So do I replace all 8? (not at the dealer at this point not sure about them see above)

With new rails too. My cousins husband is a master tech and probably is going to do the job with me.

And what kind of preventive to prevent injectors going bad at 39k miles again.

I know it’s a GDI system.

I just had this on my 6.2L at 37k about a month ago...I had the p050d and p0300 with 4 cylinders found with issues. I got GM Assistance to cover half the cost of the 4 cylinders and had them go ahead and change all 8. I tried to find out if the part numbers of the injectors had updated for 2016 to now in hopes that an upgrade occurred to minimize this from popping up again in another 2 years or 37,000 miles. Never found out if any changes occurred to the parts. All is running really well now but super disappointed that an engine with this low mileage could have this happen. They did tell me that injectors they have changed none had come back with the same issue again. I hope that is the case. They reminded me to use top tier fuel which I only use but that was where they go first to see if you are.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So an engine part, fuel injector, is not covered under the Powertrain warranty? WTF? Are they calling it fuel system or something?  Under that thinking, a broken cam would be the timing system.  What other engine parts are they weaseling out on?

So an engine part, fuel injector, is not covered under the Powertrain warranty? WTF? Are they calling it fuel system or something?  Under that thinking, a broken cam would be the timing system.  What other engine parts are they weaseling out on?

You can google search it. There is a several things. But clearly states injectors are not covered. Smh

I just had this on my 6.2L at 37k about a month ago...I had the p050d and p0300 with 4 cylinders found with issues. I got GM Assistance to cover half the cost of the 4 cylinders and had them go ahead and change all 8. I tried to find out if the part numbers of the injectors had updated for 2016 to now in hopes that an upgrade occurred to minimize this from popping up again in another 2 years or 37,000 miles. Never found out if any changes occurred to the parts. All is running really well now but super disappointed that an engine with this low mileage could have this happen. They did tell me that injectors they have changed none had come back with the same issue again. I hope that is the case. They reminded me to use top tier fuel which I only use but that was where they go first to see if you are.

See that’s my issue. I’m not paying the dealer something that I can get done for half the price or less with all 8 injectors. ( and better learn to do them myself at this mileage rate!!!!!)

It’s a shame that there are so many posts about this on here and on the internet. And of course let’s blame the you didn’t use “top tier fuel”.

I own several vehicles that I have to keep up with. Do yo our business. And have 2 work trucks that have over 300k miles......that get about 9-12mpg would you like to guess how many injectors I have had to replace on the countless gallons of fuel that have been used?!?!......... 0.

See that’s my issue. I’m not paying the dealer something that I can get done for half the price or less with all 8 injectors. ( and better learn to do them myself at this mileage rate!!!!!)

It’s a shame that there are so many posts about this on here and on the internet. And of course let’s blame the you didn’t use “top tier fuel”.

I own several vehicles that I have to keep up with. Do yo our business. And have 2 work trucks that have over 300k miles......that get about 9-12mpg would you like to guess how many injectors I have had to replace on the countless gallons of fuel that have been used?!?!......... 0.
My previous 2008 SD with a 6.2L was bought by my brother has 180,000 miles and zero injector issues as well. I know it is a GDI engine but come on 37k. It concerns me that mid body style GM changed the major warranty items from 100k to 60k....I thought about it before purchasing but now I am really trying to understand. Did they know after two years of running the new engine design and other items going into 2016 they needed to alter the warranty? My 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix (0 fuel injectors), 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (0 fuel injectors), 1998 Vette (0 fuel injectors), 2000 Silverado (0 fuel injectors), 2008 GMC Sierra Denali (0 fuel injectors), 2016 GMC Sierra Denali (4 fuel injectors, 8 replaced). I know stuff happens and this could be a fluke but a good number of people have been noting this issue and so did the dealership since I was the 3rd vehicle in the last week to come in with P050D.

These new engines with direct injection work under really high pressures.  Different from nonGDI engines.  It seems that it is still new technology and will take a few years to work the bugs out.  I know it shouldn't.  But it seems to be the case with all the GDI issues.

What gets me is it isn't covered under power train warranty.  That makes no sense at all. 

Mostly just stick with a station that has a high turnover of fuel, that way you know it is always fresh.  I know Top Tier is recommend and the cost difference around here isn't much if not the same.  I'm currently running Exxon right now and seeing how it effects my UOA that I will take before I change my oil in a few months.

These new engines with direct injection work under really high pressures.  Different from nonGDI engines.  It seems that it is still new technology and will take a few years to work the bugs out.  I know it shouldn't.  But it seems to be the case with all the GDI issues.

What gets me is it isn't covered under power train warranty.  That makes no sense at all. 

Mostly just stick with a station that has a high turnover of fuel, that way you know it is always fresh.  I know Top Tier is recommend and the cost difference around here isn't much if not the same.  I'm currently running Exxon right now and seeing how it effects my UOA that I will take before I change my oil in a few months.

The reason why it’s not covered under power train is because they KNOW sits a problem and will go broke fixing their issue. So we get to be the test and tune guys.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sooooo finally was told by GM it’s my problem. And my bill in full.

Told dealer to fix it. 2 injectors (cylinder 1 and 3) and 3 fuel rail parts.

Went to go pick it up....drove a mile down the road and then throws code. Now a fuel trim code bank 1. They have reset stuff. Swapped a o2 sensor. And not “think the all injectors on bank 1 is the issue”.

And this isn’t a small dealer either. But this 39,000 2017 vehicle has become a joke.

Posted in wrong place so I have moved it.

So are new to us vehicle 2017 Suburban with the 5.3 with 39,000 miles on it. Have put a whopping 2,000 miles on it owned it for about 40 days. 

Had a PO50D code and had a miss. 

Took it to the dealer they say needs cylinder 1 and 3 injectors replaced. “The Chevy tech believes this will fix the code and miss” (Not covered under powertrain warranty) this seems like a common issue via google.

So do I replace all 8? (not at the dealer at this point not sure about them see above) 
With new rails too. My cousins husband is a master tech and probably is going to do the job with me. 

And what kind of preventive to prevent injectors going bad at 39k miles again. 
I know it’s a GDI system.

Took to dealer said yes 2 bad injectors 1 and 3. And also need to replace 3 fuel rails too.

Went and picked up suburban and didn’t make it a half mile down road had to turn around. Now throwing fuel trim code bank 1 code. Dealer now has put a Tahoe and and started swapping parts o2 sensor. And it didn’t fix it. So put mine back on. They now think that the other 2 injectors are bad on bank 1.

How much did they charge you to do nothing? 

$1200? 

Yep pretty close and they don’t know what is causing the “slight miss”

Keep in mind they replaced the motor mounts at 37,000 due to a tsb with misses.

Imo I believe I have had a slight miss for a while/since I bought this vehicle.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. 

READY !    SET  !!    RANT !!!!!!!

I do not understand why repair shops think they can charge you for no results. Doctors are the exact same. I hate automotive repair shops and I hate medical clinics. 

When I work on peoples vehicles, if I do not solve the problem, then the bill is $0.00, regardless of how many parts I put on the rig. You are paying me to FIX your vehicle, not to bolt on unnecessary parts. I offer free mobile service, free diagnostics, and free estimates. If I misdiagnose the problem and replace the wrong parts, then why should you have to pay for my incompetence? For hourly rates, why should a slow lazy mechanic get paid more than a fast mechanic?  I do not charge by the hour, I charge by the job. I offer a best price guarantee. If you can provide a local repair shop quote that is for less, then I will beat it by 50% on average. 

Most repair shops have one goal: GET YOUR MONEY. Period. They don't care about fixing your vehicle at all. If they fix the problem with your car, they lose a return customer. 

I became a mechanic to combat these problems. Now I have way too many customers. I do not give out business cards, I do not advertise, and I would really appreciate it if people would stop referring me to their friends. All I ever do is works on cars anymore. I never wanted to be this busy. My billing is usually 15 to 30 days behind, due to a lack of time or necessity. Sometimes they receive a free radar detector or Leatherman multi-tool, rather than a repair bill. 

If you are a fair honest mechanic, you will never have a lack of customers or a lack of money. 

Most people are sharks. That's why I hate most people. 

The rant is over.......

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. 

READY !    SET  !!    RANT !!!!!!!

I do not understand why repair shops think they can charge you for no results. Doctors are the exact same. I hate automotive repair shops and I hate medical clinics. 

When I work on peoples vehicles, if I do not solve the problem, then the bill is $0.00, regardless of how many parts I put on the rig. You are paying me to FIX your vehicle, not to bolt on unnecessary parts. I offer free mobile service, free diagnostics, and free estimates. If I misdiagnose the problem and replace the wrong parts, then why should you have to pay for my incompetence? For hourly rates, why should a slow lazy mechanic get paid more than a fast mechanic?  I do not charge by the hour, I charge by the job. I offer a best price guarantee. If you can provide a local repair shop quote that is for less, then I will beat it by 50% on average. 

Most repair shops have one goal: GET YOUR MONEY. Period. They don't care about fixing your vehicle at all. If they fix the problem with your car, they lose a return customer. 

I became a mechanic to combat these problems. Now I have way too many customers. I do not give out business cards, I do not advertise, and I would really appreciate it if people would stop referring me to their friends. All I ever do is works on cars anymore. I never wanted to be this busy. My billing is usually 15 to 30 days behind, due to a lack of time or necessity. Sometimes they receive a free radar detector or Leatherman multi-tool, rather than a repair bill. 

If you are a fair honest mechanic, you will never have a lack of customers or a lack of money. 

Most people are sharks. That's why I hate most people. 

The rant is over.......

Sir I have one question for you.... are you remotely near the zip 32054. Or in the south east this side of the Mississippi??? A friend just told me about you!!! Lol.

My family owns a small family propane company and largely of what you said applies to me and the way I conduct our Bussiness.

The only reason why I took it to the dealer was because of the powertrain warranty to 60k miles. But at this rate I have given them $1100 and still have a vehicle that had a very very small miss. To one that hardly can stay running.

I am not a mechanic but very mechanically inclined and understand vehicles to a large degree. But at this point idk what to do.