oh, not another "should I buy a 2500 or 1500 Silverado?" thread

I've been looking for a used 2014-2015 1500 Silverado because I LOVE the way they look. I only wish I could still buy one new. They have such a classic "squared" body style in my eyes... I have looked at quite a few and I'm really worn out on the search as every one that is the color/configuration I like ends up having some cosmetic, mechanical, or other disappointment that wasn't disclosed before I drove hundreds of miles to look at it.  But, somehow I found myself looking at 3/4 tons one day when I was worn out on my usual search parameters and I came across one I liked that's fairly close to me. I drove by and looked at it but didn't drive it or talk to a salesperson yet (as I said, I'm pretty worn out on dealing with them and the whole process at this point)…. So, lately I've only been towing a car on a 16ft trailer on average once a month...so it's hard to justify the 2500 as an actual "need".  The only 3/4ton pickup I've ever driven was a 1975 Chevy so I don't have a feel for modern 3/4ton driving experience.

Here are some things I like about the 2500:

-4.10 rear axle ratio

-from what I'm reading it sounds like they don't have the AFM that deactivates 4 of the cylinders, correct?

-surely it has to feel way way better towing 6000lbs than with a 1/2ton....right?

Here are some things I worry about:

-ride quality...how much am I going to regret using this as a daily city driver and regular ~1000 miles trips without a trailer? 

-power....The 6.0 gas engine makes similar power to the 5.3 in the half ton...but it weighs a heck of a lot more...(I can't find curb weight with the 6.0, but I would guess it weighs 7500lbs vs 5500lbs for a 1/2 ton???)… So, I worry that it's going to feel sluggish just with everyday driving.

-and of course gas mileage...It sounds like I should expect 11-13mpg?... But, if the other things I pointed out weren't an issue, it would be worth overlooking poor mpg I think.

I am looking at the double cab/standard bed configuration in both the 1500 and 2500. 

Edited by Ke32
submitted thread before finished typing

Your choice.

The trade offs are something you have to decide.

It seems you have a good handle on the differences.

I don't think towing a car once a month is a big deal in Louisiana with a 1500 being no big hills or mountains.

The 2500 would be easier to drive if the car is towed a long distance, less tiring I would imagine.

:)

• Like 1

1. Don't think there's a double cab 3/4 option.
2. To fix ride quality issues simply lower your tire pressure unless you are towing.
3. the gas mileage issue might be less of an issue than you think. if you are driving a typical short trip profile in the wintertime the half-ton V8 is an absolute gas hog until the engine and Catalyst fully reach temperature. The 6. 0 will be more consistent year round.
4. After going from a half ton to a 3/4 ton I can tell you that the ride quality is much more secure in the 3/4 ton. Towing quality is much better with the increased mass.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

An HD double cab would curb weight at 6300-6500lbs gas depending 2wd vs. 4wd.  About 1000-1200lbs over a DCSB 1/2 ton. 

The 6.0 is not a total slouch IMO.  It moves those HD pretty good.  Yes, the 1/2 ton with 5.3 will be faster. 

I daily drove a RCLB 2015 for 2 years.  I loved the ride compared to my 2012 ECSB 1500 I had before it.  But a 1/2 ton 2014 and up rides nice.  MPG, expect 12-14 as a daily.   

The HD would handle the 6000lbs trailer more confidently with its suspension and chassis. 

HD will give you higher payload capacity.  If you use the 10-15% tongue weight rule, that's 600-900lbs payload eaten up on the truck end.  On a 1/2 ton that drops remaining payload down more than HD will.  HD gives you a better net for people and other cargo.   

Best of both worlds IMO, might be a 5.3 NHT Max Trailer.  That way you get the towing mirrors, 10,700lbs towing capacity, higher payload than a non NHT 5.3 (should be just over 2000lbs from the ones I've looked at), and 3.73 gears.  Plus the better unloaded ride.  And AFM can be turned off rather easily.

The downsides on the 5.3 to me though are AFM lifter failure (results in the failed bank being replaced along with the VLOM), vacuum pump failure (has taken engines out because its fed engine oil as lubricant via a passage in the block, so guess where the metal goes if it fails) and the DI injectors have been a bit troublesome, as well as oil pumps.

The 6.0 is a tank, a thirsty tank.  6L90 behind it is a tank as well.              

• Like 1

If you’re happy with your ride with the once a month exception consider searching a little longer. Look for an older vehicle such as a 3/4 ton suburban or Avalanche. In your neck of the woods and Texas there’re plentiful and some were grocery getters. Even a diesel expedition. The up side you already have a backup. Those older vehicles aren’t even broke in with 100K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, newdude said:

An HD double cab would curb weight at 6300-6500lbs gas depending 2wd vs. 4wd.  About 1000-1200lbs over a DCSB 1/2 ton. 

The 6.0 is not a total slouch IMO.  It moves those HD pretty good.  Yes, the 1/2 ton with 5.3 will be faster. 

I daily drove a RCLB 2015 for 2 years.  I loved the ride compared to my 2012 ECSB 1500 I had before it.  But a 1/2 ton 2014 and up rides nice.  MPG, expect 12-14 as a daily.   

The HD would handle the 6000lbs trailer more confidently with its suspension and chassis. 

HD will give you higher payload capacity.  If you use the 10-15% tongue weight rule, that's 600-900lbs payload eaten up on the truck end.  On a 1/2 ton that drops remaining payload down more than HD will.  HD gives you a better net for people and other cargo.   

Best of both worlds IMO, might be a 5.3 NHT Max Trailer.  That way you get the towing mirrors, 10,700lbs towing capacity, higher payload than a non NHT 5.3 (should be just over 2000lbs from the ones I've looked at), and 3.73 gears.  Plus the better unloaded ride.  And AFM can be turned off rather easily.

The downsides on the 5.3 to me though are AFM lifter failure (results in the failed bank being replaced along with the VLOM), vacuum pump failure (has taken engines out because its fed engine oil as lubricant via a passage in the block, so guess where the metal goes if it fails) and the DI injectors have been a bit troublesome, as well as oil pumps.

The 6.0 is a tank, a thirsty tank.  6L90 behind it is a tank as well.              

Thanks, lots of good information! The 2500 I'm looking at is a 4wd. 

I have been looking for one with the NHT 3.73 gears, but it seems like they are impossible to find ( to be fair though I've only been looking at black ones) When I started looking I was set on 3.73's, but I've come to the conclusion I'm lucky enough to just find one with 3.42 instead of 3.23 (sigh).

The last 1/2 ton/5.3 I looked at in the Dallas area had a noise that I suspected was a lifter. Aside from that it was in great condition and everything I wanted...I was incredibly bummed. The Chevy dealer selling it wasn't willing to address it and said I shouldn't worry about it??? 

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Your choice.

The trade offs are something you have to decide.

It seems you have a good handle on the differences.

I don't think towing a car once a month is a big deal in Louisiana with a 1500 being no big hills or mountains.

The 2500 would be easier to drive if the car is towed a long distance, less tiring I would imagine.

You're right. Louisiana is one of the flattest states in the country. But, when I go to events pulling a trailer through Tennessee, Missouri, Georgia with my current 2000 Chevy 1500/5.3/3.73 gears...it's kinda miserable honestly. Every time I think of these drives, it makes me want to go for a 3/4ton just so I have it when I do need it.

Edited by Ke32

1 hour ago, calgator73 said:

1. Don't think there's a double cab 3/4 option.
2. To fix ride quality issues simply lower your tire pressure unless you are towing.
3. the gas mileage issue might be less of an issue than you think. if you are driving a typical short trip profile in the wintertime the half-ton V8 is an absolute gas hog until the engine and Catalyst fully reach temperature. The 6. 0 will be more consistent year round.
4. After going from a half ton to a 3/4 ton I can tell you that the ride quality is much more secure in the 3/4 ton. Towing quality is much better with the increased mass.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

That's a good idea on the tire pressure. I guess I just keep thinking about all the unsprung weight of the heavy rear axle pounding itself into the chassis with every bump. With my current 2000 Silverado 1500/5.3 I get 15-17 on hwy unloaded, about 10-12 towing a car, and probably 13-14 around town. I was hoping for an increase in mpg with a 14-up, but I guess at least the 3/4ton sounds like it might not be much worse. 

My previous truck was a 2005 Silverado with a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. It would be comparable to a max tow now I guess. 

My current truck is a 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0. Both trucks were double cabs. 

I honestly get better mileage with my new truck. Its bad on gas around town and idling... But does well under load on highway. I use the bed payload very often and this is why I bought the truck. With a heavy load in the box you don't really feel it where my 5.3 was sagging and just felt bagged. I don't tow much so no need for Duramax. 

Paid less for my 6.0 than most 5.3 and definately cheaper than 6.2 trucks. 

6.0 is ancient technology and I love it.

• Like 2

I have had a few trucks over the years. Four being 1/2 tons and two being 3/4 tons. A 2006 and my current 2016. The bigger truck is nicer for pulling for sure. But I put on an average of 40 to 70 thousand km per year. I need the 3/4 ton for pulling my holiday trailer 3 times a year amd for pulling skid steers and tractors about once per month. Otherwise I would go back to a half ton for daily driving. With all the mileage I put on the rougher ride of a 3/4 ton makes a difference. Some times I will drive 900km per day on rough highways. The "more planted" ride  gets old.

It does seem that the 3/4 tons have better reliability and my 2010 had the lifters fail and I agree it is probably from the AFM. So for that reason I like the 3/4 tons. They both have good and bad points. My previously broken back makes me want to head back to a half ton more every year though......

• Like 1

I've had 1994 GMC , 2000 Silverado LT, 2005 GMC SLT, all 1500's. the 2000 & 2005 were 4wd. I ordered a 2018 GMC Denali 2500HD CC z71 4x4, October 1, 20017. Got it in November. I went back and forth on a 1500 max trailer 6.2 and a 2500HD, for three years! I didn't want or need the diesel. I was hoping GM would make the 6.2 with a iron block. Didn't happen. So I read all I could find, about the 6.0. Pretty much bullet proof, if you service it. The ride around town, is a little stiffer, if you have to go on rough roads. The ride on the interstate, unbelievably smooth and quiet!  (Also; my neck and lower back are fused!) The gas milage around town, not much different than the 5.3"s. Interstate at 68 - 70 mph, 13.7 - 14.6. Not what I was hoping for, but I already read it probably would be less than 15mpg. I have 8600 miles on it now. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY! I Love this truck! I will never go back to a half ton. Bigger and better brakes,frame,etc. The price difference between a 1500 and 2500HD, is really small. I'm not pulling anything right now but a 3500lb utility trailer. Loaded with 3 cubic yards of mulch, I can't hardly tell it's back there!  Looking for a Sea Ray 280 Sundancer( 8500lb) now. I think if your willing, to give up a little ride comfort around town and know your milage, is not going to be great. You will be happy you got a 2500 HD. Good Luck!  here's a pic. of mine.

IMG_1116.JPG

Edited by hatman74
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's your answer.

Every time I think of these drives, it makes me want to go for a 3/4 ton just so I have it when I do need it).

Not as many 2500's.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hatman74 said:

I've had 1994 GMC , 2000 Silverado LT, 2005 GMC SLT, all 1500's. the 2000 & 2005 were 4wd. I ordered a 2018 GMC Denali 2500HD CC z71 4x4, October 1, 20017. Got it in November. I went back and forth on a 1500 max trailer 6.2 and a 2500HD, for three years! I didn't want or need the diesel. I was hoping GM would make the 6.2 with a iron block. Didn't happen. So I read all I could find, about the 6.0. Pretty much bullet proof, if you service it. The ride around town, is a little stiffer, if you have to go on rough roads. The ride on the interstate, unbelievably smooth and quiet! The gas milage around town, not much different than the 5.3"s. Interstate at 68 - 70 mph, 13.7 - 14.6. Not what I was hoping for, but I already read it probably would be less than 15mpg. I have 8600 miles on it now. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY! I Love this truck! I will never go back to a half ton. Bigger and better brakes,frame,etc. The price difference between a 1500 and 2500HD, is really small. I'm not pulling anything right now but a 3500lb utility trailer. Loaded with 3 cubic yards of mulch, I can't hardly tell it's back there!  Looking for a Sea Ray 280 Sundancer( 8500lb) now. I think if your willing, to give up a little ride comfort around town and know your milage, is not going to be great. You will be happy you got a 2500 HD. Good Luck!  here's a pic. of mine.

IMG_1116.JPG

3 years...You sound like me, ha! I wish I could be the guy who doesn't worry about it and just buys something and if it doesn't work out just get rid of it...always trying to get the thing that's "just right" though. I agree on wishing for a 6.2 iron block in a 2500... I've kept an eye out for 6.2 1500s but I have to admit I'm a little skeptical of things I've read about the 8 speeds mated to the 6.2.

41 minutes ago, Ke32 said:

3 years...You sound like me, ha! I wish I could be the guy who doesn't worry about it and just buys something and if it doesn't work out just get rid of it...always trying to get the thing that's "just right" though. I agree on wishing for a 6.2 iron block in a 2500... I've kept an eye out for 6.2 1500s but I have to admit I'm a little skeptical of things I've read about the 8 speeds mated to the 6.2.

Yes I wish I was that guy! Lol I'm pretty picky. When I was going to lay out that kind of $$$$, I wanted to get it right! I drove the 6.2 eight speeds, 3 different times. Two were fine, one (Chevy) seemed liked it hesitated and kicked. They were new trucks, so I took that into consideration. I didn't like the aspect of the cylinder deactivation. I liked the power of the 6.2. My 2005 had,5.3 Flex, headers, tune, cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, etc. I am going to leave this 2018, stock. GM has flowed the heads almost to the max, and I do like the quiet! Guess I'm getting older! Lol! I've kicked it down a couple times to pass on a two lane highway. It sounds like it has a cold air intake. I'll have to say, the transmission, shifts smoother than my wife's 2013 Terrain Denali AWD. This truck surprised me, I knew I was going to like it. I didn't know I would fall in love again! She's made to pull and please!  

Edited by hatman74