Front end popping

2 minutes ago, AgDoctor said:

I don't see how the strut can turn if it is installed properly. It does make sense that possibly it may not be torques down enough on the shock shaft and the clicking could be coming from excess play on the shaft hat, or either the threads on the same shaft. If the coil spring turns with the wheels you have serious problems.

Sent via Morse code

Yeah I tend to agree.  I was looking at my assembly after I typed that last post and I just don't see how it can rotate either.  The clicking/popping is too consistent in my opinion to be associated with the coil/spring.  It's definitely the steering assembly making the noise

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

4 hours ago, Silverado-Hareek said:

Actually starman8tdc the more I think about this, I think you're onto something.

I have no idea if the springs are the issue, I was was just throwing ideas out there. I have seen front springs on vehicles rotate and cause popping, but I don't know if your vehicle is susceptible to that problem. Both my Chevys have torsion bars, so I cant go out there and test any theories on my vehicles. Every time I inspect, diagnose, or shake down a front end, I always have someone sitting in the drivers seat to turn the wheel back and fourth while I look everything over. If you don't have a helper, you could tie ropes to the steering wheel, and run them out the driver and passenger windows, and down under the vehicle so you can move the wheel back and fourth while your under the rig, but its not as effective. 

I ran into a squeaking problem in the front end of a Lincoln Town Car yesterday. Without someone turning the wheel for me, it would have been pretty difficult to locate the problem (upper left ball joint). 

Yeah, my main issue is that while stationary, it will only make noise a few times. Not long enough to find the source. Doesn't sound like it's coming from either strut though. 

Typically I hear a single pop when I get into the truck from what sounds like right under the hood slightly off center to the drivers side as weight shifts. Occasionally I can produce 3-4 occurrences while stationary before whatever is problematic settles (for lack of a better term) by turning the wheel. Does not need to be full lock. Usually within a single rotation of the wheel. Then on some (not all) slow turns. 

I'm presuming at this time that whatever the problem is, it's minor enough to not be a serious concern and as time progresses I'll have an easier and easier time to find it. 

Edited by MBSierra17

Could be something like a body panel rubbing, or maybe something weird like the steering shaft. One thing you might try, would be to beat the hell out of the suspension and frame. Run the truck over some train tracks real fast, or maybe a bunch of large speed bumps. Maybe do some off-road'n. 

Hopefully, that would either make the problem go away, or at least make the issue more prominent - thus making it easier to locate. Plus if there is something that is about to fail, it will happen when your ready for it, rather than on the freeway. 

2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-miami-lakes-chevy.jpg

I spoke with my mechanic tonight.  The plan is to hold off on the tires for now.  I'm going to go ahead and get an alignment done tomorrow and see what that does.  He's going to call around to some people he knows at four wheel drive shops and get their input and then give everything a good look over during the alignment process.  I guess from there we'll see what happens.  I agree about driving it around for a bit starman...it probably is a good idea to let everything get some miles on it and face some bumps, potholes, etc. and get all good and settled in.  I'll keep you all posted on what I find out as the week goes on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was under My Truck Last Night. I randomly pulled on My passenger Front Axel  It Has a Little Play Out Of the Transfer case. I Think That Night Be the popping sounds i've Been hearing. I'm lifted on coilovers. So who knows What wore Out. Lol

Hopefully you can track it down. 

I've found some play in the steering shaft that I can create faint knocking noises with while stationary. Figure the weight of the vehicle could certainly amplify that into the noise I am hearing. Unfortunately my dealership is booked up until next Thursday, but hopefully they can diagnose it. 

Edited by MBSierra17

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. Steering shaft play is normal. Couldn't find anything problematic in suspension. Tie rods good. Ball joints good. Sway bar good. They're confident it's just an annoyance at this point, but they couldn't find a source. Want me to come back in the near future when it's actively being problematic so the tech can ride with me instead of the service manager. 

Edit: nobody seemed to care that it had bilstein 5100 or larger tires. 

Edited by MBSierra17

>they're are confident its just an annoyance
Exactly the same thing I was told except "it's perfectly safe to drive". I'm sure popping when when turning is indicative there is a problem somewhere. How can they be sure of anything if they can't properly diagnose it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They replaced a strut on mine. Noticed noise was exactly the same. Brought it back, they supposedly changed the steering shaft (upper and lower) noise immediately heard upon pulling off. They can change insignificant parts and claim they made an earnest effort. Gonna try a different dealership and hope their staff is more competent. It's been the 1st of April since I've taken it, it's taken this long to cool down from the ridiculous amount of incompetence I've dealt with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I get the same kind of knock from the left front wheel, but its usually when going in reverse with the wheel turned fully or nearly full to the left. Its just one loud knock and I can feel it on my foot. The one person I took it to couldn't find anything wrong and I couldn't replicate it as it doesn't happen every time. A lot of posts are talking about it doing it while stationary, I haven't tried cutting the wheels while stationary so that's something I'll have to try and see if it happens. Just wonder if it doesn't happen stationary for me if it could still be the same thing that every one else is hearing? 

• 1 month later...

I'm leaning away from anything suspension related at this point. 

Will occur simply when stepping up into vehicle. I'm starting to suspect some body or hood mount. Pop seems to disappear as soon as I pop the hood, so I'm thinking it's somehow connected to hood flexing. 

• 9 months later...

Anyone find root cause on this yet?

Just leaving home today and some other random times. It seems mostly on left turns. It is one good pop and done. I am going to check the bolt torque on everything in the front end. My question/worry is more around the front axle. I am in 2WD, but curious if there may be random noises from it. If I can get it to happen consistently I can try different scenarios. It has probably happened 5 times in the last 2500 miles, but just now 2 times in the last week.

I took mine in today for the popping and harsh downshift.

I was told that they retourqued everything but still had the popping so they are going to replace the leaf springs eventhough I told them it was heard near the front.

They told me that the leaf springs could transfer through to the front, I call BS.

I ask what did they do for the hard shifting and he said the leaf springs are causing that too, I call BS.

Either way they are replacing the leaf springs once they come in. Ill be honest I haven't had a hard down shift after I took it in.