Battle of the flows (muffler choice)

halp  

7 members have voted

1. 1. who do you love???

• magnaflow 12909
    • Dynomax ultraflo 17517
    • other

This poll is closed to new votes

So, decided not to go straight pipe route. Just don't think it will be the sound I'm looking for. I want deeper than stock. But I don't want too loud. So based on research I've read here, the Magnaflow 12909 seems to be a good choice. Then I came across the Dynomax Ultraflo 17517. ITs about $50 cheaper than the Magnaflow right now. But sound clips are rare and can be misleading I find. some sound VERY mild, others pretty wild. 

So..suggestions?? 

So, decided not to go straight pipe route. Just don't think it will be the sound I'm looking for. I want deeper than stock. But I don't want too loud. So based on research I've read here, the Magnaflow 12909 seems to be a good choice. Then I came across the Dynomax Ultraflo 17517. ITs about $50 cheaper than the Magnaflow right now. But sound clips are rare and can be misleading I find. some sound VERY mild, others pretty wild. 

So..suggestions?? 

I’ve always been a big fan of Borla exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On my '17 6.2 I did a muffler only delete. Keep the flapper, keep the stock tailpipe and resonator. Had a nice bark on cold start, rumbles around town and is as quiet as stock on the highway. If you turn the radio and AC off you can hear it chop a bit in V4 but who drives with all that off anyways!? Then, if you decide you decide it's not right put a muffler back in. Worth a shot isn't it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Magnaflow 12909 in place of stock muffler and flapper valve.  Have used this same setup on both my previous 2014 All Terrain 6.2 and the current 2015.  Sounds relatively stock while cruising and at highway speeds with no/minimal V4 chop and drone.  Sounds good at startup and when on the gas. If you go this route make sure the exhaust shop who does the work measures and cuts out everything correctly for proper fit and that they use a 12909.  Another forum member was snookered initially with a cheapo repo muffler.

• Like 1

Got the dual Borla Atak system on my 6.2L.  Best sounding truck exhaust on the market.  Mild for around town driving, and extra throaty and lets everyone know you have something a bit more sophisticated than a little flowmaster muffler.  Zero drone.  Even sounds fine when it switches to V4 mode (althought best bet it to tune/get rid of V4 mode altogether).  Get it and you won't be disappointed.  Just $,$$$

A lot of other guys may say Corsa is the best, and I agree Corsa's sound great on these trucks, but it makes more of a muscle car sound, and feels a bit out of place for a truck.  The ATAK is a deeper, more throaty tone that roars.  The Corsa is more of a loud screamer.  There has also been reports of the Corsa having drone too [to each their own].

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:56 AM, Roscopcoletrain said:

I ended up going with the Dynomax. Got it installed yesterday. Very happy with it so far. Just a bit louder than stock, nice deep tone. doesnt seem to make any noticable drone, but I've got limited kms on it. 

Did you keep the flapper?  Very happy with Flowmaster 53553 and no flapper.......

Edited by Krusty

My friend did a muffler delete you can barely tell, he kept resonator though. More or less just on a cold start. I put a CAI in my 6.2L with the stock cat back and my truck is a lot louder (to drive, not the actual exhaust note) than his. I was surprised at the difference the CAI made, noise when you want it only under load and quiet when you don't. I put a Magnaflow in my 2010 and on a 4 hour drive the drone would give you a headache so I don't think I will end up putting one on this truck.  

8 minutes ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

My friend did a muffler delete you can barely tell, he kept resonator though. More or less just on a cold start. I put a CAI in my 6.2L with the stock cat back and my truck is a lot louder (to drive, not the actual exhaust note) than his. I was surprised at the difference the CAI made, noise when you want it only under load and quiet when you don't. I put a Magnaflow in my 2010 and on a 4 hour drive the drone would give you a headache so I don't think I will end up putting one on this truck.  

Think it really depends on which one. I had a magnaflow on my 09 and loved it. No drone at all. 

• Like 1

Yeah don't remember the P/N but a droney truck is the worst thing ever so make sure you talk to some people running the same muffler you want to buy to get a review. I would honestly rather live with Chevy Shake over a droning exhaust. Nice set-up you have there, I love where they put the axles on your trailer, and the spread. Must tow nice and be easy to maneuver that big girl. Let us know how the muffler sounds when you are pulling that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

No drone with the Flowmaster - link below.........

2 hours ago, 10SierraA.T. said:

Yeah don't remember the P/N but a droney truck is the worst thing ever so make sure you talk to some people running the same muffler you want to buy to get a review. I would honestly rather live with Chevy Shake over a droning exhaust. Nice set-up you have there, I love where they put the axles on your trailer, and the spread. Must tow nice and be easy to maneuver that big girl. Let us know how the muffler sounds when you are pulling that. 

I could live with drone, straight pipe, glass/torpedo pack exhaust sounds when I was in my teens and early 20's.   Now at 40 thanks but no thanks.  Can't remember if it was on this or another forum but a member said he would just as soon park his truck and walk into oncoming traffic than put up with exhaust drone.??

• Like 1