Coded keys?

Is it possible to key the lock to the old key if he just got one lock?

Parts list for a 2016 Silverado:

13590041   Driver door $76.10
23476975   Ignition $86.51
20765510   Glove Box  $59.54
22855172    Spare $45.00
23338181    Tailgate $120.36
23286584     Key $46.07

I am a Service Advisor for a Chevy Dealer and just finished this job for a customer, calls for 4.2 hours of labor if a tech does the r&r. Parts department will have to key the lock cylinders to the new key...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't get a new key when you buy a lock cylinder. The cylinder will come as a blank kit that is then coded with the tumblers to match your vehicles key code. There will still likely be some kind of programming required for the install of the cylinder but no, you will not need to replace all the lock cylinders. Not sure who told you this or why so many people are agreeing but its just not the case. Your old keys will be just fine and only the cylinders that were damaged will need to be replaced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeremyW426 said:

You don't get a new key when you buy a lock cylinder. The cylinder will come as a blank kit that is then coded with the tumblers to match your vehicles key code. There will still likely be some kind of programming required for the install of the cylinder but no, you will not need to replace all the lock cylinders. Not sure who told you this or why so many people are agreeing but its just not the case. Your old keys will be just fine and only the cylinders that were damaged will need to be replaced.

Well hopefully that’s the case and I only have to replace the driver side lock.

Yes, you should definitely replace only the damaged lock on your door and leave everything else alone. Probably need the dealer to do it for you since these new keys are so "high tech".

It would be interesting to find out the cost for this, please follow up. I hope your insurance helps you out since it was attempted theft.

3 hours ago, Willie will said:

Well hopefully that’s the case and I only have to replace the driver side lock.

If the ignition cylinder was untouched then you're honestly golden. I work in parts at a dealer and we code cylinders all the time for customers. There's no programming for a door cylinder so hopefully your local dealer is like mine where parts can build the cylinder to your code (usually like to have an original key just to make sure its all good) and it would be a matter of swapping the door cylinder. Usually there's an extra charge for building the cylinder, it is extra time so it makes sense but that's how we do it.

8 hours ago, JeremyW426 said:

If the ignition cylinder was untouched then you're honestly golden. I work in parts at a dealer and we code cylinders all the time for customers. There's no programming for a door cylinder so hopefully your local dealer is like mine where parts can build the cylinder to your code (usually like to have an original key just to make sure its all good) and it would be a matter of swapping the door cylinder. Usually there's an extra charge for building the cylinder, it is extra time so it makes sense but that's how we do it.

that's awesome!!! thanks for the info!!