Dead battery cells

2016 1500

I'm on my third battery now (all under warranty) in 24k miles. Every time the truck sits for 3-4 days, it won't start. This morning, the truck had sat for 2 days and wouldn't start. So took it to dealer and they said bad cell and are replacing the battery again. I'm worried that if I end up in a situation where I can't wait for or find a jump or I run out warranty, this could escalate. 

What are my options? What questions should I be asking? 

8 hours ago, Bushleaguechew said:

You’ve got a phantom load. Anything plugged into your outlets? Has the dealer performed a test to check for draw while sitting or just replaced batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally keep my phone charger plugged into the three prong outlet in my center console but no phone plugged into it. And I have a hard wired valentine one radar detector which was off. I pick up the truck this morning so I'll ask what all they tested. 

IMO

There is something draining the battery when it sits.

Being retired my truck can sit for days.

Sometimes for 7 days and it always starts.

I would unplug all the added on items for a start.

If you have a DVM you can check the draw on the battery when it's sitting.

:)

52 minutes ago, Homeslice said:

Doesn't that seem odd?

It does seem odd. I’ve left my truck for weeks and never had a problem and now all of a sudden it’s dead. I have not changed anything on the truck at all so maybe it’s just a bad battery.

51 minutes ago, Willie will said:

It does seem odd. I’ve left my truck for weeks and never had a problem and now all of a sudden it’s dead. I have not changed anything on the truck at all so maybe it’s just a bad battery.

The battery in my '11 2500HD didn't last 4 years (I'm think 2 & a half). Brother who still works in a GM plant says the quality of the batteries has 'gone south' since GM sold the battery business. He knows a few guys that have bought 'staff vehicles' w/ low miles and the batteries die after 2 years of service.

The odds of getting 2 bad replacement batteries in a row is slim (unless GM is now using Exide). As others have mentioned, look for parasitic draw.

a lot of times the dealer will pull a battery that’s been sitting on a rack for months that’s charged enough to start the car a couple times then if u do a short drive home and let it sit for a week it never got fully charged. Go for a long drive before letting it sit to be sure it’s fully charged. 

Edited by paumat