1500 pulling a travel trailer

I may have screwed up. I purchased my 16' silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the intent of pulling a rockwood 2509s. I saw the truck was rated at 9100lb, the TT was 6869 GVWR and pulled the trigger. What I did not take into consideration of, was factoring the tongue weight of the trailer into the 7200LB gvwr of the truck. I put the truck on the scale yesterday, and it came in at 5900lb. TT has a tongue weight of 694lb.  Once I factor in my passengers, I have 160lbs of payload left on the trucks GVWR of 7200. Do you guys think I'm over thinking all of this, or cutting it too close for comfort on the GVWR of the truck? 

Over thinking it.  You're fine

I tow a KZ MXT 301 toy hauler all the time with a GVWR of 8800lbs and have no issues.  I put everything possible in the trailer and usually towards the back.  I'd rather pull heavy then have added weight in the truck.

I did the math on a similar trailer with my '15 Sierra V6 with a 7,000 lb tow rating.  I know I would be fine so you'll be more than fine!  As said earlier, get a proper weight distribution/anti sway hitch and enjoy.  I currently pull a Winnebago 2108ds rated at 7,000 lbs gross weight however it is only 3900 lbs dry.  This setup is not challenging for my truck and I wish I had purchased a larger trailer!

First year I bought a cheap weight distribution hitch from amazon. It was ok and did the job. Felt clunky and noisy as hell. Plus it needed to be greased multiple times. So next year I bout a Reese Strait Line and oh my god. Butter baby.  It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes. The once you experience it; you really appreciate the value.

Hate to be a counterpoint here but I was in the same boat as you.  I bought a '17 1500 5.3l thinking I wouldn't have any issues pulling our 7250lb GVWR Jayco trailer.  I traded it in on a '18 2500 gasser.  Was barely under the max payload on the 1500 but it worked too hard in my opinion on the mountain passes here in the Northwest and even with the trailer brakes and my WDH dialed I always felt on edge.  

With the 2500, I don't sweat how much I have in the bed of the truck or where exactly the load is in the trailer anymore.  It probably is the placebo effect but I arrive more rested and less stressed.

There are some issues with the 2500 though.  I thankfully have a short commute but the gas mileage sucks, I get 12-13 mpg not towing and around 8 mpg with the trailer. 

Overall it all to me it came down to how much I was going to be towing the trailer, did I feel comfortable pushing the limits of my 1500 and how stressed after towing the trailer was I when I got to the place we were camping? I do not regret my decision.

If we lived somewhere flatter I would have kept the 1500 I think though.

4 hours ago, mammut said:

Hate to be a counterpoint here but I was in the same boat as you.  I bought a '17 1500 5.3l thinking I wouldn't have any issues pulling our 7250lb GVWR Jayco trailer.  I traded it in on a '18 2500 gasser.  Was barely under the max payload on the 1500 but it worked too hard in my opinion on the mountain passes here in the Northwest and even with the trailer brakes and my WDH dialed I always felt on edge.  

With the 2500, I don't sweat how much I have in the bed of the truck or where exactly the load is in the trailer anymore.  It probably is the placebo effect but I arrive more rested and less stressed.

There are some issues with the 2500 though.  I thankfully have a short commute but the gas mileage sucks, I get 12-13 mpg not towing and around 8 mpg with the trailer. 

Overall it all to me it came down to how much I was going to be towing the trailer, did I feel comfortable pushing the limits of my 1500 and how stressed after towing the trailer was I when I got to the place we were camping? I do not regret my decision.

If we lived somewhere flatter I would have kept the 1500 I think though.

I'm thinking I should have gone this route as well. One thing I did not take into consideration when purchasing the 1500, was how little payload the truck actually had, and how easy it is to get over the 7200 GVWR of the truck. I weighed the truck and was surprised to see it come in at 5900. Leaving a mere 1300 lbs for tongue weight, passengers and cargo. 

I may have screwed up. I purchased my 16' silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 with the intent of pulling a rockwood 2509s. I saw the truck was rated at 9100lb, the TT was 6869 GVWR and pulled the trigger. What I did not take into consideration of, was factoring the tongue weight of the trailer into the 7200LB gvwr of the truck. I put the truck on the scale yesterday, and it came in at 5900lb. TT has a tongue weight of 694lb.  Once I factor in my passengers, I have 160lbs of payload left on the trucks GVWR of 7200. Do you guys think I'm over thinking all of this, or cutting it too close for comfort on the GVWR of the truck? 
I have the same trailer and pull with '10 silverado. My only issue is power.
Handeling and stopping is fine after i re did the wt hitch, dealer didnt do it right. I am mindful with what i put in the truck bed when loaded. Probably near the max payload with 2 adults and 3 small kids, minimum stuff in bed.

We went from twin cities to black hills last summer, only real issue was headwinds and older 5.3l. Engine temp would spike on longer hills.

I will be getting a different truck next yr, sticking with 1500.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scale obsession said:

I'm thinking I should have gone this route as well. One thing I did not take into consideration when purchasing the 1500, was how little payload the truck actually had, and how easy it is to get over the 7200 GVWR of the truck. I weighed the truck and was surprised to see it come in at 5900. Leaving a mere 1300 lbs for tongue weight, passengers and cargo. 

The GVWR on these trucks is a ball park.  Its simply there to classify the trucks as 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton.  Tow ratings are usually conservative.  You can go to youtube and watch vid after vid of people doing tests to see how much a particular truck can tow and usually its several thousand pounds over its capacity.  If you go a few hundred lbs over the gvwr you're not gonna blow out your tires or snap an axle.  Again I think you're over thinking it. 

Like mentioned above, you have plenty of spare capacity in the trailer weight so load it not the truck and it should be good.

This is why I went with the max tow package. I was planning on a travel trailer and the 1300-1500 payloads were really close on the standard 1500s. I have 1900lbs payload but still have the 1500 for my daily driver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scale obsession said:

You are well within your maximum limits. Proper loading, proper hitch and common sense are required.  The weight class of trailer you are looking at is targeted to 1/2 ton truck owners.  If you've never towed a TT your first experience may be a little intimidating.  Your truck will be working (like it's designed to do) but after a couple of short trips you'll be having to remind yourself that you are pulling a trailer!

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

You are well within your maximum limits. Proper loading, proper hitch and common sense are required.  The weight class of trailer you are looking at is targeted to 1/2 ton truck owners.  If you've never towed a TT your first experience may be a little intimidating.  Your truck will be working (like it's designed to do) but after a couple of short trips you'll be having to remind yourself that you are pulling a trailer!

technically, once I subtract 500lb for passengers and 694lb for tongue weight, there isn't much left. While I'm probably playing on the edge of extra conservative, I would hate to get into the mountains and have issues. 

technically, once I subtract 500lb for passengers and 694lb for tongue weight, there isn't much left. While I'm probably playing on the edge of extra conservative, I would hate to get into the mountains and have issues. 
You will be fine.
I also found inflating tires to near max psi was noticeable (better) in how it handled loaded with trailer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, scale obsession said:

You will not be short of power.  You are right in doing the math for payload etc. but you will have more than ample horsepower!