2500 VS 3500

Looking to upgrade my 1500 to a 2018  2500 Duramax.  Can't find the color and trim package that I want in the 2500 but dealer has it in 3500.  He says it's the same truck(engine, chassis etc) except for a few floating leaf springs that engage when the weight is on.

Is the gas mileage the same?  Is it a rougher ride than the 2500?  Any input would be appreciated on the differences.  Thanks in advance...

i would imagine the 3500 will ride rougher , and besides the springs, i thought the frame was also a little thicker ? 

Either way your  getting the best option and thats the DirtyMAX 

2500 and 3500 frames used to be the same.  So they probably still are.  It definitely depends on the specs of the truck itself.  I would assume you could get larger axles and larger brakes on a 3500.  Bigger springs and more towing and capacity.  Also more engine output?  Not sure about that one.  

3 hours ago, Elkrut said:

Looking to upgrade my 1500 to a 2018  2500 Duramax.  Can't find the color and trim package that I want in the 2500 but dealer has it in 3500.  He says it's the same truck(engine, chassis etc) except for a few floating leaf springs that engage when the weight is on.

Is the gas mileage the same?  Is it a rougher ride than the 2500?  Any input would be appreciated on the differences.  Thanks in advance...

Yes I would MPG would be the same.

Yes, I bet the ride is rougher.  How much, Im not sure.  A test drive will be helpful. If your cool with the ride, 3500 single rear wheel is the way to go!

If I was in your shoes, Id consider it luck that they have it in a 3500 but not 2500!

On the gassers, a 3500 gets a heavier duty rear axle than the 2500, but you're going Duramax so that doesn't matter. The only differences between a 2500 & 3500 Duramax (worth mentioning) are the added overload springs, increased payload, no mandatory TPMS, and required 18" wheels. Everything else is the same. Get the 3500! :thumbs: 

• 6 months later...

Know this thread is a bit old.  Been driving the 2019 Denalis (2500 and 3500SRW ) over the past two weeks.   Amazingly, the 3500 rides better due to the 18” wheels.  20” on the 2500s.  That little bit of cushion makes a difference in the seat.  Found all other characteristics to be identical.  And as best I can tell, they both ride on the same Spring setup when not towing.   Seems the small bit of overload springs are the only thing different on the suspension and are not in play when scooting around empty.