Time to change some parts

It’s that time to go thru my 2001 gmc 2500 truck and go ahead and change some things out after many years and miles put on the truck. I’m going to change my plugs and wires out. One question i have is what brand does everyone else use in their trucks and how well do they seem to last. I’m going to also change air filter, cabin air filter since I didn’t know I had one till the other day, fuel filter and change out the oil and grease everything up that I can reach. Is there anything else I should do that you can think of. Transmission, transfer case where just out being built stronger and fluids changed. Axles have been gone thru a few months ago. Any help is appreciated. Truck has 250,000 miles on it

F21981CF-5B74-4FDF-BFB8-E7443D79C09B.jpeg

Edited by Robert Wylie

Careful with the plugs. And new should be Iridium. Please use "Copper" never seize on the new plug threads. If it doesnt misfire, I would leave the wires. Why, you may ask?  Often people put on the "bigger is better" wires and burn out components due to more current drain. Be sure to set the gap as close as specs, I think its .035. Some truxcks in that era had cabin filters, some dont. Its only a door under pass side. It can greatly improve Ac and heat if you change it.

I would suggest checking the brake lines for rust.  Easy place to check is in the driver's side wheel well, there are 4 lines that come together and run along the frame rail.  They tend to rust badly there.  The other spot, more difficult to see (you might try using an inspection camera or even your phone to take a picture along the inside frame rail above the fuel tank on the driver's side, it also tends to rust badly there.

And if it's been more than a couple of years, flush the brake fluid with new stuff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robert Wylie said:

It’s that time to go thru my 2001 gmc 2500 truck and go ahead and change some things out after many years and miles put on the truck. I’m going to change my plugs and wires out. One question i have is what brand does everyone else use in their trucks and how well do they seem to last. I’m going to also change air filter, cabin air filter since I didn’t know I had one till the other day, fuel filter and change out the oil and grease everything up that I can reach. Is there anything else I should do that you can think of. Transmission, transfer case where just out being built stronger and fluids changed. Axles have been gone thru a few months ago. Any help is appreciated. Truck has 250,000 miles on it

F21981CF-5B74-4FDF-BFB8-E7443D79C09B.jpeg

Where did you find the cabin filter located?

On the passenger side, I believe you need to remove the cover under the dash, then there is a long narrow cover to remove and you take out/insert the air filter.  There are plenty of youtube video's on this, as well as how to retrofit the filter/cover if your truck doesn't have it already.  GM sells a "kit" (the cover, screw and some directions), and I think dorman might as well.

I know my '04 doesn't have it, earlier years did, then GM started putting them in again after a bunch of years.

• Like 1