Stuck lifter

Ammaroah

Question

Hi everyone,

I’m working on my 2008 gmc 5.3 engine but I’m having a real big issue with the lifter, I cannot remove it in order to replace it with a new one.

I have been trying to pull it out since 3 days! 

What should I do to get this work done?

Thank you. 

10 hours ago, BNSF said:

I’m in the same position.

Truck had 135000 on it when the #1 cyclinder lifter collapsed. Had a buddy do the work and only cost me $400.

Now at 192000, the #4 did the same.

Along ways away from my buddies place, and the dealer says $1800 for parts and $1800 to do an entire side, and recommends a crate replacement for a motor with that many miles.

I change my oil regularly and it’s never close to dark tan, let alone black.

So done with AFM, it’s either diesel or a delete on my replacement truck.

Only problem now is, what to do with this one?

I should throw it out there, I’d love to fix it myself, but have absolutely no time with work and kids taking up 100% of my time.

$1800 for labour?  Just did a quick google search and found mention of a document called #PIP4568S:.  Perhaps it is the reason for the high to me labour cost.  Here is a cut and paste of the text:

- Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations if you are working on a 2008­/2009 Full Size Truck/SUV or a 2007­/2009  Chevrolet Tahoe with the Police Package

- On the 2008­/2009 Pontiac G8, 2010­/2011 Camaro, and 2007­/2010 Full Size Trucks with AFM, also determine if the AFM pressure relief valve shield that is listed in the latest version of 10­06­01­008 has ever been installed for anything else. If not, remove the oil pan and install the AFM shield. If the shield has been installed before, disregard this step. On Passenger Cars with the LS4 engine, determine if the updated oil pan gasket that is listed in the latest version of 11­06­01­007 has ever been installed. If not, remove the oil pan and install this updated oil pan gasket. It is also important to thoroughly clean the inside of the oil pan while it is removed. Due to oil pan differences, this shield and gasket will not fit Mid­Size Utility Vehicles with the LH6 Engine.

- Carefully inspect the camshaft lobes through the lifter bores with a pen light or bore scope to ensure that they are not  obviously worn. It is suggested to rotate the crankshaft and camshaft so the entire circumference of all cam lobes can be inspected. Also inspect the lifter bores for any obvious scoring/damage that could be a concern. 

– When reassembling, ensure that the lifters are properly aligned to the new plastic lifter guides before they are installed. If  they are not aligned properly, it may damage the plastic lifter guide once it is torqued, which may allow the lifter to turn in the guide. 

– Clean out the related lifter control oil passages (item 1 below) while the old lifters are removed. Generally, it is only  necessary to blow through the passages with shop air but if a lot of debris is noted, it may also be necessary to flush the passages out with brake cleaner. The oil should be changed after doing this since the cylinder heads will be off to replace the lifters anyhow. 

– Low oil pressure to the VLOM can also cause AFM lifter damage. As a result, it is suggested to note the Tech 2 oil pressure  parameter at a hot idle. This is located in the Cylinder Deactivation Data List of the Tech 2. Generally most known good vehicles will have around 25 PSI (172 KPA) or greater oil pressure at a hot idle with new engine oil. As long as there are  no oil pressure sensor DTCs, such as a P0522 or P0523, the oil pressure sensor is fairly accurate. If the sensor reads 19 PSI (131 KPA) or less while at a hot idle with new oil, also perform the Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) Oil Pressure Relief Valve Diagnosis and Testing as outlined in SI and repair as necessary. In some cases, the new VLOM could correct a low oil pressure concern if there is an internal leak or plugged VLOM filter screen.

If all the previous steps have been done and there is a Repeat AFM Lifter Concern, replace the oil pump (to correct for a  possible aeration of the oil) and the lifters for the cylinder with the Tick Noise and/or Misfires concern.

Edited by Doug_Scott

Knowing this engine, it could very well be mushroomed at the bottom - in that case, going to have to yank the cam and pull the lifter out from the bottom.

Luckily, one good thing GM did was design this thing so the lifters won't all fall into the crank when you pull it ... but seems they dropped the ball on everything else. 

15 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Knowing this engine, it could very well be mushroomed at the bottom - in that case, going to have to yank the cam and pull the lifter out from the bottom.

Luckily, one good thing GM did was design this thing so the lifters won't all fall into the crank when you pull it ... but seems they dropped the ball on everything else. 

Mushroom a roller lifter? Are these lifters not in a tray, and they get removed in that tray?  I may be confusing this engine with a different generation, but pretty sure they have been roller lifter for over 20 years. 

What about trying one of the various throttle body sprays to dissolve and oil crap on the lifter body? 

That's a great way to unlock those POS lifters. Great video.

The OP has a lifter that's physically stuck in the block, however.

BTW to the OP, any luck?

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

That's a great way to unlock those POS lifters. Great video.

The OP has a lifter that's physically stuck in the block, however.

BTW to the OP, any luck?

Oh,  guess I should learn to read,lol.  My 15 Silverado 5.3 is in the shop as we speak because of a failing lifter.  they are going to replace all 8 on the left side.  Damn AFM technology,  the only reason gm came up with this BS system was to meet the epa regs, not to help the buyer out in any way.  Anywayz,  my truck only has 40k miles on it and this should happen.  take care!

Sorry to hear that. Looks like they've done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fix this problem going all the way back to model year 2007. This system has cost alot of people ALOT of money over the past 11 years. Some sooner than others, but all eventually end up this way. Problem is, nobody will know if/when they fix it until their new trucks have 90k or better on them.

AFM sounds like a great idea on paper, but like most things GM does, they create a system by pinching every single penny they can. What really burns my ass about this whole thing is, THEY are the ones who cheaped out on the entire valve train from top to bottom, yet, it's the CONSUMER who got stuck footing the bill. In the days of old, THEY would have had to pay for THEIR screwup! It's only right! As much as I'm against lawsuits, this is one that I'd agree with 100%.

They did cover a few under warranty, but a large number got stuck holding the bag (like I will, eventually).

If ALL the engines were going to have lifter issues with DOD you can be sure GM would have heard of it and would have been forced to address it.  Don't confuse only hearing about those that have failed with all have failed. The Internet has its positives and negatives. This is one of its negatives. My buddy and his son both bought new trucks in 2012.  Both trucks have DOD, and both trucks are driven completely opposite to each other.  My buddys truck just turned 50,000km, most miles summer driven, his sons truck will turn 160,000km by year end. Both trucks are over maintained,, both trucks have had zero issues with DOD lifters. 

I think the issue with DOD is how sensitive it is to oil changes. In the video above the engine has evidence of lengthy time between oil changes.. The "fix" that was applied simply un stuck something.  If you pay attention at the removal of the tool you can see it came out a lot dirtier than it was going in. 

I think the majority of fault lies in the maintenance, not the design. 

Lubrication! It's more than what oil you use or how often you change it. The oil is subject to the motors state of tune as well as heat and load. Stuck lifters, stuck rings, these are lubrication issues not metallurgy or design issues. For the most part. Yes, mechanicals fail to load stresses or poor designs as well but even a crappy design operating within it's limits is a life time event. It isn't always obvious. 

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Lubrication! It's more than what oil you use or how often you change it. The oil is subject to the motors state of tune as well as heat and load. Stuck lifters, stuck rings, these are lubrication issues not metallurgy or design issues. For the most part. Yes, mechanicals fail to load stresses or poor designs as well but even a crappy design operating within it's limits is a life time event. It isn't always obvious. 

They put a screen under the oil pressure sensor that plugs up and starves that area, and the rest of the engine of oil. That's a design flaw.

If the system was designed correctly, it would run 300K+ WITHOUT an issue ... like anything built prior to '07 did. Not 90k-130k - if you think that's acceptable on a $40,000+ truck, then they'll keep building them this way.

Edited by Jsdirt

1 minute ago, Jsdirt said:

They put a screen under the oil pressure sensor that plugs up and starves that area, and the rest of the engine of oil. That's a design flaw.

If the system was designed correctly, it would run 300K+ WITHOUT an issue ... like anything built prior to '07 did. Not 90k-130k - if you think that's acceptable on a $40,000+ truck, then they'll keep building them this way.

Agree.  Just a semi-serious side note;  I grew up with small block Chevy V-8’s, 283, 327, and later the 350. All during this period I thought the sound of a sticky lifter clattering in a cold morning was a GM design feature,  kinda missed it when the sound went away on the newer engines ?...

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

IMO this plugged screen is a result of extended oil change intervals, poor quality oil or filters.

This screen would not plug if the oil wasn't loaded with carbon and other material.

:)

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

IMO this plugged screen is a result of extended oil change intervals, poor quality oil or filters.

This screen would not plug if the oil wasn't loaded with carbon and other material.

:)

Bingo!! 

I'll let ya know how it looks when mine fails.

If the system was so great, my 94k mile engine wouldn't be ticking like a stuck lifter in a 350, and I'd still have the same oil pressure I had when the truck was new, up until about 80k miles. Royal Purple and Amsoil is all this engine has ever had in it. Amsoil is capable of 25k mile runs - I've never hit 10k. Definitely won't try now. Gets changed an average of 6k miles. Is that excessive on a premium name-brand synthetic? Since I've seen regular dino oil run 15k in 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's engines, with valve covers blacker than coal inside, I highly doubt it. Lack of maintenance isn't a new thing in the 21st Century - it just becomes evident, since no modern engines can handle this anymore!

The AFM system is a poorly engineered POS, and I'm sticking with that.