Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus - Thoughts?

Hey guys

I don't want to go into another winter with my old SRA's and I am currently review the new Pirelli Scorpion's. Any thoughts or experience with these tires? Love the look of these babies but they need to perform in the lovely weather we get in Toronto. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fyi they are the "Plus" not the "Verde".

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, CANDenali said:

Hey guys

I don't want to go into another winter with my old SRA's and I am currently review the new Pirelli Scorpion's. Any thoughts or experience with these tires? Love the look of these babies but they need to perform in the lovely weather we get in Toronto. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fyi they are the "Plus" not the "Verde".

I agree with you regarding the SRA, definitely do not go back to those.  I recommend the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.  Been a great tire for my truck. Have a little over 23k on the tires and they still have like new traction.  If you are going to be doing a lot of towing or heavy hauling, make sure to get the LT version.  The Wildpeak comes in non-LT versions for those wanting a less harsh ride quality.  Check out all the reviews too, (Amazon, Google, YouTube, etc.) many good things to say about them!

• Like 2

As stated above I’d find all the reviews you can on the Pirellis. I had a full set I bought new at Sears of whatever they were at the time Scorpions on my S-10 Blazer years ago. I went with them partly because I liked the looks. In a little over a year and 15k miles one blew out going down the highway (cords separated) and about a week later another one the tread (all the way around) came off going down the highway at 65+ (looked like the tire shreads you see on the interstate off semi tires) pulled over and nothing left but side walls and cords. Replaced all 4 with Bridgestone Dualer Revos that lasted till I stopped driving the the Blazer about 40k miles later and still had deeper tread and out handled the POSellis in dry, wet, and snow/mud conditions. The only thing the POSs did better IMO is look good sitting still. I didn’t even trust the POSs enuff to use one of the two left to replace my full size bald spare Wrangler. Needless to say I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SET OF Pirellis AGAIN! Maybe they are better now but I’ll never know...

I was so impressed with the Revos I bought a set of LT Revo 2s for my 2500HD that I tow/plow with that have been on the truck 8 years/50k now and have enuff tread I will run them again this winter and possibly next. On my 1500 I went with LT Cooper AT3s that have been on it almost 3 years/32k with no problems. Can’t comment on winter driving with these but wet/mud traction is as good as the Revo 2s and tread is better than 3/4. Went with these cause of reviews I read about them and a guy I worked with put 75k+ on a set and still had 1/4 tread when he replaced them with another set of them for winter and some people were reporting shorter tread life with the Revo 2s over the original Revos (thought to be a softer rubber compound).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys. I ended up buying the Pirelli's from Costco and they have been great so far. Awesome looks, quite on the highway and good in the rain. Looking forward to trying them out in the snow. Check out my pic below.MVIMG_20180930_104235.jpegIMG_20180930_104200.jpeg

• Like 1

Those look good and I like that manufacturers are seeing the how important the severe weather rating is to buyers.  That being said, my experience with pirelli resembles the above blazer review.  I can safely say I’ll never own pirelli tires again...

• Like 1

Thanks man. I know I took a bit of a risk because they are so new but I really liked what a read about their 95/5 statement. 95% on road 5% off. New compound and tread pattern etc. Might be blowing smoke up my back end but I pulled the trigger. Hopefully I will only report good things in the coming months.

Those look good and I like that manufacturers are seeing the how important the severe weather rating is to buyers.  That being said, my experience with pirelli resembles the above blazer review.  I can safely say I’ll never own pirelli tires again...

• 3 months later...

Hey folks. If anybody out there is interested. We are well into winter in Toronto and just got a dumping of approximately a foot of snow and I'm happy to report the Pirelli's are holding their own. They are doing great and way better than those SRA's. So far I'm happy only regret is not going a bit bigger.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 1/29/2019 at 9:51 PM, CANDenali said:

Hey folks. If anybody out there is interested. We are well into winter in Toronto and just got a dumping of approximately a foot of snow and I'm happy to report the Pirelli's are holding their own. They are doing great and way better than those SRA's. So far I'm happy only regret is not going a bit bigger.

Hi CANDenali, thanks for the info. I’m looking into buying a set of these.  Any update now two years later?  Also what size did you end up going with?

Edited by Ben Eley