Range Device Disable AFM ODBII $78.75 woot

2018GMC

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Interesting, I would have never thought AFM would lead to 3+ mpg improvements, 

Would that be because most people drive in a way that never allows the AFM to be active more than in a hit/miss fashion? 

If you work with it instead of against it the gains are huge. That's not a opinion. That's getting near 80,000 miles of experience. 

Hot tip for AFM hatters. Drive in M6 and when you find it lugging toggle back a gear. I have a spot near Monroe Illinois that goes from 55 mph to 40 mph on a slight up hill. It will hammer left to it's own but a toggle back just as the cruise engages the 40 mph mark makes it act like it should. Only spot I've ever had it act funny. Sort of like forgetting your in third with a manual and forgetting to grab a gear as you leave town. Not that big a deal. 

25 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Would that be because most people drive in a way that never allows the AFM to be active more than in a hit/miss fashion? 

If you work with it instead of against it the gains are huge. That's not a opinion. That's getting near 80,000 miles of experience. 

Hot tip for AFM hatters. Drive in M6 and when you find it lugging toggle back a gear. I have a spot near Monroe Illinois that goes from 55 mph to 40 mph on a slight up hill. It will hammer left to it's own but a toggle back just as the cruise engages the 40 mph mark makes it act like it should. Only spot I've ever had it act funny. Sort of like forgetting your in third with a manual and forgetting to grab a gear as you leave town. Not that big a deal. 

The mileage I got in some places were hands down amazing in v4. But I just prefer v8 mode. It wasnt much, but just the little click it made switching bothered me and triggered my sense of dislike. I have made the comfortable decision of giving up mileage for the sake of my sanity. Still average around 20mpg in V8 mode with my style of driving. No regrets. 

Wasn't ever interested in these for the original price, but now after installing my black widow muffler and seeing this for $78, I think I am going to pull the trigger... I mostly want it for when I'm driving up north on back country roads doing 55-65mph.  The v4 drone can get annoying, and running in M7... I'd rather not as then I'm doing like 1700-1800RPM.  I'm also a bit worried about the drone getting annoying pulling the snowmobile trailer this year on the back roads.  I can't remember if it goes into V4 occasionally while towing, but for sure the drone would get annoying fast.

I'm gonna think on it just a bit more. If I do decide to get one, I likely won't use it all the time.  I still like using V4 mode around town. I am a fan of it.

So to get it updated, you gotta mail it in? Whats the expected turnaround time?

Edited by SkiDooNick700

Received mine today. Box had red dot so leds are red. May put  some electrical tape over them. 

Box firmware says 8.6R1. I verified same version by counting led blinks when first plugging in. Keeps my 2018 in v8 all the time. 

if anyone sends theirs in please post the latest version. 

My truck sometimes sits for several days. Are current range users unplugging or leaving plugged in?

Edited by 2009GMC

On 9/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, TheBlackPearl said:

Thank you very much for the heads up 2009GMC, I really appreciate it!

I ordered one for myself as well.

I've been waiting to buy exhaust until I found a good deal on these so I'll start shopping around later today.

Cheers!

No prob! Feel free to “like” the original post.

What exhaust you looking at?

I can start collecting reputation points! Maybe there is a prize after so many points? Probably not lol. 

On 9/17/2018 at 12:16 PM, L86 All Terrain said:

Interesting, I would have never thought AFM would lead to 3+ mpg improvements, 0.5mpg maybe in my mind if anything at all.. Please don't tell me stop-start will give us another 3mpg on top of that or I will give up and buy a TTV4 Silverado. The big issue I have is that V4 mode on my 2014 has a glitch in communicating with the transmission and it will slam itself into 2nd gear at 35mph and lock it in that gear. Disable V4, and it will never do it, dealer cant solve it either. Thanks for the post OP, I will finally pick one up rather than drive that truck in M5 mode all the time. Cheers

16 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

No prob! Feel free to “like” the original post.

What exhaust you looking at?

I can start collecting reputation points! Maybe there is a prize after so many points? Probably not lol. 

Done and done.

I'm a sucker for the OG Flowmaster 40 series but I might try the super 40 this time.

The plan is to just hack the stock exhaust off right before the flapper and then weld in a Flowmaster with a side exit, before the rear wheel tail pipe. Easy peasy.

I heard that when you acquire enough rep points you get a new model year Silverado!  (jk)

• Like 1

Wasn't ever interested in these for the original price, but now after installing my black widow muffler and seeing this for $78, I think I am going to pull the trigger... I mostly want it for when I'm driving up north on back country roads doing 55-65mph.  The v4 drone can get annoying, and running in M7... I'd rather not as then I'm doing like 1700-1800RPM.  I'm also a bit worried about the drone getting annoying pulling the snowmobile trailer this year on the back roads.  I can't remember if it goes into V4 occasionally while towing, but for sure the drone would get annoying fast.

I'm gonna think on it just a bit more. If I do decide to get one, I likely won't use it all the time.  I still like using V4 mode around town. I am a fan of it.

So to get it updated, you gotta mail it in? Whats the expected turnaround time?

Yes in order to get the disabler updated you mail it in to range. The link is above. You will pay for shipping to and from the company and the update it self is free. I sent mine out Wednesday and today range received it so I will keep you posted on how long the process takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Where on the website  do you see the latest version?

Ive had mine for months now and i have v8.6. 

It works flawless on my 2018 silverado. I havent seen a mention of any higher version yet. Maybe give them a call? 

33 minutes ago, DHaze83 said:

Ive had mine for months now and i have v8.6. 

It works flawless on my 2018 silverado. I havent seen a mention of any higher version yet. Maybe give them a call? 

Whaaaaa, I have to make a phone call?? who does that these days? :D   I was just curious.  Still debating on whether to order or not, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna do it.  Who knows when you'll be able to buy one for such a bargain again.  And I do not plan on tuning until after warranty is out... especially since I am about to get warranty work done due to a loud tick during warmup lol.

Glad to hear it is flawless for you though.  Makes me more confident in this.

Edited by SkiDooNick700

Mine just arrived... it’s v8.4 green. Works on my 16, so I figure I’ll wait to send it in until they have an update for the 19s in case I ever decide to upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk