Bilstein 4600 replacement shocks

I recently purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 with the Z60 package consisting of performance Pro Comp shocks.  The ride is rougher than anticipated as I can feel every bump and crack in the road.  In researching replacement shocks, Bilstein 4600 seem to be a quality option to smooth out the ride.  Has anyone else replaced their stock shocks with the Bilstein 4600’s and felt a noticeable improvement in ride smoothness?  Other suggestions for a smoother ride?  Thanks.

Bilsteins are by no means smoother. I had them all the way around but eventually went back to stock. I also went for the ridiculous 20" wheels to the 18" stock wheels and my ride is way better then it ever was. And this is with a Max tow that's sprung heavier in the rear. 

Funny that yesterday I was looking at a couple videos I took while doing some short speed bursts to see what the magnaflow sounded like. I also saw some I had took with the Bilsteins and stock 20" wheels and even in the video the pavement seams and small bumps made a loud banging noise. The camera would really jolt. The new video was much smoother. Just my take on them. 

Thanks for the reply.  Not what I was hoping for but good to know.  When you put the Bilsteins on your truck we’re they the 4600s or 5100?  I have heard positive responses to the 5100s, being comparable to a z71 package, but not sure how they would fit on a z60 package where the rear was lowered 2” and front 1” from the factory.  I also have the 20” wheels which probably don’t help.

What if you were to put the factory shocks and struts from a Z71 truck. I’m sure there are a ton of people that have new sets sitting in their garages. 

Mine wasnt lowered, but it did come with the 20 inch wheels.

just a thought...

Edited by Darksky

I'm taking my Z71 package shocks off mine currently. I replaced them with 5100s. Love the ride now. I'm no longer wrangling a bronco whenever I go over bridges or construction zones. However these Z71 shocks were incredibly smooth in every other regard on the road. 

The factory Tennoco brand "Rancho" shocks are not very good even when new.

Whether you go with Bilstein 4600, 5100 Pro Comp, Eibach etc..... they will all be better than what you have now.

Firmer ride but soaking up potholes and no more bobblehead :thumbs:

The only difference between 4600 and 5100 is the body color and the fact that 5100s have longer travel for the guys who level or lift up to 2"

Otherwise valving and internals are the same.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply.  Not what I was hoping for but good to know.  When you put the Bilsteins on your truck we’re they the 4600s or 5100?  I have heard positive responses to the 5100s, being comparable to a z71 package, but not sure how they would fit on a z60 package where the rear was lowered 2” and front 1” from the factory.  I also have the 20” wheels which probably don’t help.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, stang21 said:

If you are going to lift the front get the 5100’s as they have levels of lift and slightly increased travel. 

If you are leaving the front stock height then get the 4600’s.