6 inch or 4.5

Hey guys, driving a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT right now with a 2.5" level, but looking to move to a lift. I have narrowed my choice down to the 4.5" or 6.5" Zone or 6" BDS, but I have a couple questions first. 

1) I am going with 35x12.5 and keeping my stock wheels (20" snowflakes), is there any benefit other than a little extra lift between the 4.5" and the 6"? I guess a better way to ask is, for any of you who looked at both, what made you decide on 1 or the other? 

2) I have looked at the BDS and I see there is an option to get an upgraded lift with coilovers. Here's the deal, this truck is not my daily driver. I drive an Accord every day to work for gas purposes (35 miles each way to work) and keep the truck for weekend driving, trips, and every weekend to my hunting property. The trails getting into camp aren't rough in the least so we can say my offroad driving is minimal. Is there a justification for my case in spending the additional $1600 for the coilover option? 

I was looking at both the 4" and 6" BDS kits before I chose my 6" BDS. I went with the 6" because I wanted the option to run 37" wheels. As for coilovers, I've spoken to BDS twice on this and they only feedback I've heard is off road performance. I know a lot of people may swear by the performance increase they give for on road, I can't comment as I've only had the default option. If I go 37" I may look into it just as a way to control the larger tires, but who knows.

Thanks, Penguin. I figured the coilover option was mainly for off road performance. Like I said, I just don't do that much off roading other than driving into our property and it's no more than a couple hundred yards of dirt. Does it still ride fairly good with the default option? 

It's not the same as stock, but it's not terrible. A large part of it is the size wheels and what load rating tire and what tread. For me it's a truck and I'm ok with a little rougher ride. That said, I daily drive 100 miles for a work commute plus whatever else my day involves locally and it's not bothersome outside the MPG loss.

44 minutes ago, Penguin VII said:

It's not the same as stock, but it's not terrible. A large part of it is the size wheels and what load rating tire and what tread. For me it's a truck and I'm ok with a little rougher ride. That said, I daily drive 100 miles for a work commute plus whatever else my day involves locally and it's not bothersome outside the MPG loss.

I got you. I don't mind the rougher ride either to an extent. I wanted to make sure the cost would be justified buying the coilover option and it sounds like for what I drive, it isn't necessary to do that. I would just get rid of the truck because I kind of feel silly having a 2018 for a hunting vehicle. But, I don't owe anything on it so why not keep it?  

4 minutes ago, Penguin VII said:

I didn't purchase the coilovers, so that's my recommendation. Nothing wrong with a nice hunting vehicle. I recommend some seat covers.

No doubt. I'm going to put some amp steps on there too so I don't ruin my seats just from getting out. Thanks for your help. 

13 hours ago, lapoolboy said:

I have the 6" with coilovers and everyone who rides in my truck comments on how plush the ride is.  Even the service manager at my dealer said it's the nicest riding lifted truck he's ever driven.

What is your tire and rim setup and what is the tire PSI?

2 minutes ago, lapoolboy said:

Stock 20x9 wheels.  35x12.5x20 Toyo Open Country R/T tires ran at 35psi.

Thats legit my same setup. It's def the nicest riding lifted truck I've ridden in (although I'm very interested in riding in one of the ram 1500s with the air ride and lift) but I wouldn't consider the lift to be equal or better to the factory ride. You located in the north east by any chance?

A properly engineered suspension lift should absolutely ride better than stock.

There’s no point adding wheel travel if the springs and dampers don’t take advantage of it.

It’s the difference between something engineered for function (which costs more), versus a setup designed to look good (more affordable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1