prioritizing wifi on ‘18 gmc sierra

Does anyone know how to prioritize the WiFi on my ‘18 Sierra.  I’m not going to continue to pay for GM’s 4g WiFi.  Going forward I will be using my cell phone hotspot to make the WiFi connection, but whenever the truck is shut down and restarted the truck’s WiFi seems to take the priority even if i don’t have that service.  Thanks in advance!

Did you delete your truck in your phone's wifi history?  If not, and your wifi it on when you get in the truck, it will automatically connect.  You can also download the Onstar app and disable the wifi through that .

Think you can use the truck settings to turn off. Otherwise use your phone connection settings and "forget" the truck wifi.

May I ask why you are not willing to keep it? Guessing you're experiencing slow speeds too. I pay for unlimited and have been for years now. I travel a lot and GPS uses quite a bit of data when it's on all day. Notice frequently that the connection is slow and spotty. Ive recently complained and open tickets with on star so maybe they'll iron out. I will also cancel if it doesn't improve any. I think they use Verizon towers, but could be wrong. My average download speed with my Att Note 8 is 25mb. The truck wifi barely hits 12mb on a good day standing still. Most times in the 2-3mb range which no longer cuts it for much.

Anywho, rant off. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also check to make sure your phone isn't automatically connecting to it. On your mobile phone (iPhone only, I don't know Android) you can go into the phone Settings app, in the Wi-Fi section, look for your trucks Wi-Fi network name and press the "i" info icon and select "Forget This Network". That will prevent your device from automatically connecting to the Wi-Fi in the truck every time you are in it.

Think you can use the truck settings to turn off. Otherwise use your phone connection settings and "forget" the truck wifi.

May I ask why you are not willing to keep it? Guessing you're experiencing slow speeds too. I pay for unlimited and have been for years now. I travel a lot and GPS uses quite a bit of data when it's on all day. Notice frequently that the connection is slow and spotty. Ive recently complained and open tickets with on star so maybe they'll iron out. I will also cancel if it doesn't improve any. I think they use Verizon towers, but could be wrong. My average download speed with my Att Note 8 is 25mb. The truck wifi barely hits 12mb on a good day standing still. Most times in the 2-3mb range which no longer cuts it for much.

Anywho, rant off. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I do the same thing for my WiFi. I use the o star system. They use ATT towers at least that’s what they told me. I experience slow speeds a lot of times too. I have done the same with opening tickets and am told i will get a call back in a few days to see if the problem has been resolved. Never once have I got a call back.

I will continue to pay for it since it’s cheaper than adding a hotspot to my phone. Plus I can cancel at anytime since I’m not locked into a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Onstar currently uses AT&T for wifi data. Prior to 2013 they used Verizon.

The speed you see could be dramatically affected depending on your location. If your cell phone plan is with Verizon or someone else, the truck could get better or worse service in some areas. It all depends on your specific area and which carrier has more towers near you.

I assume what you are asking is, can you get your truck headunit/nab to connect to your phone as a Hotspot, rather than it connecting to your disconnected/deadend Hotspot from OnStar. If so, you need to delete the wifi network SID in the car with the OnStar or My Chevy app. But I think you can also just use settings in the headunit to disconnect from the trucks wifi, and it should stay disconnected. It does for me (2018). Let me know if you want pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Another angle for the slow speeds on the Onstar wifi. Since the service is provided by AT&T they may be restricting the speed to better serve their customers since the Onstar service is open to anyone who pays the subscription fee and may or may not be an AT&T customer.

11 hours ago, iceman1998 said:

So what i would like to happen if possible is to have the WiFi in my truck except be provided by my smart phone rather then GM.  does that make sense?

I doubt you can "chain" two hotspots. IOW, have your truck broadcast a hotspot network ID that people can connect to, that is then backed by your truck connecting to your cell phone's hotspot. You might be able to do something equivalent with a Wi-Fi repeater. Not sure. I've always wanted to try one of these:

https://www.weboost.com/products/drive-4gx

My experience with the OnStar is that is usually isn't as fast as my ATT Samsung phone, but it receives and transmits data in much weaker signal areas than my phone can. I assume because of antenna size and amp power. So, if I got a cell booster, would it combine the best of both (faster 4g speeds of the phone, but better range of the OnStar)? The OnStar saved my ass once in the woods when I forgot to pack the winch and recovery rope, and had no cell signal or radio. After an hour of try top get unstuck, and contemplating walking out 5-10 miles, I remembered the OnStar, which fired up, left me add call minutes, and call the local town tow truck.  

17 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

Another angle for the slow speeds on the Onstar wifi. Since the service is provided by AT&T they may be restricting the speed to better serve their customers since the Onstar service is open to anyone who pays the subscription fee and may or may not be an AT&T customer.

Would a Cellular/WiFi provider, non-the-less AT&T, ACTUALLY "throttle/restrict" speed and access to their services????  Well I've never...  :troll::loser: