Tonneau cover question, please advise....

12 hours ago, jt metal said:

Are the covers that mount to the side of the rail vs the top mount more prone to leak?

I've had several trucks with the Access Lorado cover and those rails mount to the side of the truck's bed rails.  The Lorado rails have a gasket that seals between its rail and the bed rail, and I've never had water leak along the rails

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bkesting said:

I've had several trucks with the Access Lorado cover and those rails mount to the side of the truck's bed rails.  The Lorado rails have a gasket that seals between its rail and the bed rail, and I've never had water leak along the rails

I've had 2 access lorado soft roll up covers and love them. I have had plenty of leaking, however, it has always been in the front and rear corners. Both covers were professionally installed for what it's worth. Not large leaks, but water would definitely get into the bed.

I don't think one leaks more than the other.  The big difference is if you plan on removing the cover often.  With the ones that sit on top of the rails when you remove them you have clear opening inside the bed from side rail to side rail.  With the ones that mount to the side of the rail you will still have the tonneau rail intruding on each side of the bed.

1 hour ago, E-rich1210 said:

I've had 2 access lorado soft roll up covers and love them. I have had plenty of leaking, however, it has always been in the front and rear corners. Both covers were professionally installed for what it's worth. Not large leaks, but water would definitely get into the bed.

For sure...I've has moisture in the corners too. You can get seal kits to help seal up those areas but I've never tried it. The water I have had has been minimal and never from along the rails

Thanks guys. 

The brand offers both. The top rail version is $100. More. 

If the side mount is dependable. Why spent the extra $100. 

I understand....and believe both will leak at one point or another. 

Truxedo LoPro clamps onto the side. Not a drop from the side. A couple drops near the cab. I’ve had it over a year and love it. The main pain with side clamps is getting shims in between the sheet metal and clamp to make sure when you clamp down it doesn’t bend the metal. Not sure if you have to do the same with top mount. I think the lines on the truck look so much better with a side mount.