Fuzzy back up camera

Hi all,

I hope I’m not the only one frustrated with this issue. For a few months, I have had issues with my back up camera being very fuzzy/grainy, which is almost unusable at night. I took it in to my local dealership and found out that there is a technical bulletin for this issue basically saying that if any 12 volt accessory plugged in, it is causing the issue. In my case, it’s a dash cam that is on all the time. Basically I was told that there is nothing they can do and I need to unplug my dash camera to have a useable backup camera. For a 2018 Sierra, I would expect there wouldn’t be these issues as I didn’t have them in my 2014. Has anyone figured out a workaround to still allow the 12 volt accessory to be plugged in but not cause the grainy/fuzzy output?

PIT5552B is the bulletin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Oh there is a fix. We have seen it and have it done. Keep searching.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seems I can order the 2016 OEM assembly for about $110 which includes the lens and cable which connects under the bed to a connector.  Do you know if the cable plugs into the lens so I can just replace the lens from the kit without fishing the wire? 

https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/oem-parts/gm-rear-camera-84062896?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9cGFya2luZy1haWQmbD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT1jaGV2cm9sZXQmbz1zaWx2ZXJhZG8tMTUwMCZ5PTIwMTYmdD1oaWdoLWNvdW50cnkmZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

28 minutes ago, AE1M said:

Seems I can order the 2016 OEM assembly for about $110 which includes the lens and cable which connects under the bed to a connector.  Do you know if the cable plugs into the lens so I can just replace the lens from the kit without fishing the wire? 

https://www.gmpartsgarage.com/oem-parts/gm-rear-camera-84062896?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9cGFya2luZy1haWQmbD0xJm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMmYT1jaGV2cm9sZXQmbz1zaWx2ZXJhZG8tMTUwMCZ5PTIwMTYmdD1oaWdoLWNvdW50cnkmZT01LTNsLXY4LWdhcw%3D%3D

Year of the truck depends on what camera you buy because theres another plug with the camera that powers the locking tailgate

If the power wire draw is to high and is causing the camera to flicker you have some options.

new power source on the 12v acc. cut wire and add relay. It will isolate the feed and reduce the draw. 

add another power the the camera circuit. 

you could even temporary tap the wire over for a day and see if the "patch" fixes it.  

as far as your dash cam. I recommend Rap wire in drive fuse box. fuse it to the real draw. If you want constant power kick panel fuse box again fuse it.  

As I tell everyone. ask dealer for the FULL print out of all codes reported. It will surprise you the history codes. They can show low voltage and and even fault circuits. 

3 hours ago, Nasty said:

Year of the truck depends on what camera you buy because theres another plug with the camera that powers the locking tailgate

The part I gave the URL for is for my 2016 High Country.    

What I want to know is if I can replace the camera without having to re-snake the wire.  Is there a plug on the lens end so that I can just swap out the lens which I believe may be the cause of my blurry image.  It works fine, except for the blurry image.

3 minutes ago, AE1M said:

The part I gave the URL for is for my 2016 High Country.    

What I want to know is if I can replace the camera without having to re-snake the wire.  Is there a plug on the lens end so that I can just swap out the lens which I believe may be the cause of my blurry image.  It works fine, except for the blurry image.

No you have to change the whole thing. Its super easy. Should take 5 minutes. I added backup cam in my truck

• 2 months later...

I got a 2018 Sierra , after I installed the after market LED backup bulb, the camera would glitches.  I brought it to the dealership and they told me it was the LED bulb, so i took it off and put the original incandescent bulbs back and it still glitches sometimes. Listen up GMC! 

• 2 years later...

So. As of for me. I replaced headlight low beam light bulbs half a year ago and that when this blurry screen appeared. I was driving with blurry screen for a half a year. Took it to the dealer and boom! They couldn’t do anything and $1800 later I picked it up from them. I read this thread and remembered about light bulbs. Then I put it in reverse and ... manually shut the lights off as they are always on as day running lights. My screen became hd quality lol. You are welcome everyone!!!

Edited by Tymur

• 7 months later...