Fuzzy back up camera

I just installed one of these:

https://camera-source.com/2014-2015-sierra-silverado-hd-replacement-camera-evi.html

I wasn't expecting much change but was honestly AMAZED by the improvement in quality.  Simple plug-and-play installation with great instructions.  I let the factory guidelines and the aftermarket guidelines on so now I get straight ones that are red/yellow/green and orange ones that turn all displayed at the same time.  Much better resolution and low-light capability than the factory one, all for around $180 ...

Edited by sk
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, sk said:

I just installed one of these:

https://camera-source.com/2014-2015-sierra-silverado-hd-replacement-camera-evi.html

I wasn't expecting much change but was honestly AMAZED by the improvement in quality.  Simple plug-and-play installation with great instructions.  I let the factory guidelines and the aftermarket guidelines on so now I get straight ones that are red/yellow/green and orange ones that turn all displayed at the same time.  Much better resolution and low-light capability than the factory one, all for around $180 ...

Does the new camera fit into the housing just like the old one does? If you can’t tell that it’s been changed, I would definitely consider this.

Edited by steelerdude15

Mod looks 99% like factory, fits just like factory. I think the aftermarket camera has a flat lens and the factory one was curved. I could be wrong, like I said hard to tell. Pay mind to the white wire to disable camera's native guide lines during install, it is mentioned in the directions. You will have to drop the rear tire, it blocks two clips that route the cable and you'll need to open them up and close them by hand. Also helps if during removal of factory camera you tie the factory plug to the camera side connector of the aftermarket cable, then pull out the factory cable while pulling the aftermarket cable into place for install. Otherwise you will have to snake the aftermarket one through the hole in the bed and the hole in the tailgate from top and bottom which is a PITA. I used a long twist tie.

Video quality is an improvement but not substantially. I think it might be a limitation of the screen at this point, but I don't really know. While not a huge improvement, I would say it is worth doing because the factory cam is dangerously close to below minimum viable.

I have a Dieselworks autosync that shows the RVC feed when I use my indicators, for that purpose I've gotten some extra utility from the mod so I'm happy with the money spent all things considered. Shame the fidelity isn't better for whatever reason though.

Edited by Truckboattruck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:02 PM, steelerdude15 said:

Does the new camera fit into the housing just like the old one does? If you can’t tell that it’s been changed, I would definitely consider this.

Yes - fits right into the same location.  You remove the inner tailgate liner, pull out the old camera, then put this one in it's place.  Route the harness down to the junction box above the spare and it plugs in right where the factory one did.  Like Truckboattruck said lower the spare tire first -- it will make the job easier.  Also like he said you can snip the white wire, or you can leave it on like I did and you get 2 sets of lines.  I just routed the white wire where I could get to it easily so that if I want to snip it later will take me about 10 seconds to reach under the rear bumper.

The whole install including dropping/raising the spare and reading the instructions took me less than 30 minutes.