Noise in cabin or am I going crazy?

SO I've noticed over the past week that as I drive down the road every so often I hear this high pitched sound.  Not a metal type squeal just a high pitched sound.  It's intermittent and I can't replicate it on demand.  Has anyone else had any type of noise like this?  It's hard for me to go by the dealer but I can't replicate it on demand. The girlfriend heard it over the weekend so it made me feel better that it wasn't me just cracking up...

• Like 1

I've got the same thing going on. I though I was crazy for awhile. But its fairly constant on mine at highway speeds. Its not crazy loud or anything just a high pitched sound in the background. I've tried locating it and can't figure it out. It's not brakes because the sound doesn't go away when you hit them. 

I figure if I take it by the dealership they'll just call me crazy and send me down the road. Ha.

• Like 1

OK, so I was thinking about posting about a noise that is bothering me as well but maybe its a similar issue. I hear a high pitched whinning sound(not mechanical sounding) in my cabin as well.  I have narrowed it down to being on the driver side and I think its coming from the 4x4 and light knob area. I have also concluded I only hear it when the vehicle is in auto (4x4), because it recently snowed and it is the first time I have had to use 4x4 and never had the noise prior to that when in 2 wheel drive. It doesn't make the noise when the vehicle is at a stand still like a light but the second I accelerate I can hear it and it drives me up the wall. It is in the background like the other posters have said but enough that once you heard it you cant unhear it!  Also if I take it out of 4x4 the noise is no longer present. Is what you guys are experiencing similar?

**My truck is not a 2019 its a 2016 but what you described was so similar to my issue I thought I'd share.

I have it too.

It's seems to be only when I'm accelerating. If I take my foot off the gas it stops and when I resume accelerating most of the time it's gone but occasionally it will do it again.

I would guess that from a dead stop it does it 60%-75% of the time upon acceleration.

I was wondering if it was some type of noise cancellation run amok/malfunction. I have the premium Bose sound system. If you have the noise, what stereo system do you have?

Edited by fish_guru
more info

16 hours ago, Pyrojodge said:

SO I've noticed over the past week that as I drive down the road every so often I hear this high pitched sound.  Not a metal type squeal just a high pitched sound.  It's intermittent and I can't replicate it on demand.  Has anyone else had any type of noise like this?  It's hard for me to go by the dealer but I can't replicate it on demand. The girlfriend heard it over the weekend so it made me feel better that it wasn't me just cracking up...

Hi, Pyrojodge. We understand how frustrating this high pitched sound must be for you. If you’re thinking about visiting your servicing GM dealership about your situation, we would be happy to work alongside them, to provide an additional layer of support. We hope to hear from you soon.

Anthony J.

32 minutes ago, fish_guru said:

I have it too.

It's seems to be only when I'm accelerating. If I take my foot off the gas it stops and when I resume accelerating most of the time it's gone but occasionally it will do it again.

I would guess that from a dead stop it does it 60%-75% of the time upon acceleration.

I was wondering if it was some type of noise cancellation run amok/malfunction. I have the premium Bose sound system. If you have the noise, what stereo system do you have?

I do have the BOSE system but I have muted it and it persists.  It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the 4wd as I get it if in 2wd, 4wd, or auto.  that seems to make no difference.  I just cant seem to make it happen all the time and it's at no particular time or occurrence.

6 minutes ago, GMCustomerService said:

Hi, Pyrojodge. We understand how frustrating this high pitched sound must be for you. If you’re thinking about visiting your servicing GM dealership about your situation, we would be happy to work alongside them, to provide an additional layer of support. We hope to hear from you soon.

Anthony J.

Thanks for the support.  My issue now is that I can not reproduce it on demand and my trip to the dealer is 45 minutes away.  I really hate to waste my time if I can't get them to hear the sound.

Not very familiar with active noise cancellation so I don't know if the system would be active if the radio was muted or not. 

For what it's worth I just drove around the neighborhood with the sound system completely turned off and it still did it.

Will have to schedule an appointment with the dealer. I can reproduce the noise within 5 minutes or less in a non-highway driving scenario.

53 minutes ago, Pyrojodge said:

Thanks for the support.  My issue now is that I can not reproduce it on demand and my trip to the dealer is 45 minutes away.  I really hate to waste my time if I can't get them to hear the sound.

Thanks for reaching out to us here! I know how important your time is, and I don’t want this situation to leave you with a negative impression of our products. Unfortunately, no action toward a repair can be taken without being able to replicate. However, if this concern does become more prevalent, we would be happy to provide an extra layer of support while working with your dealership.

Anthony J.

I have the same sound driving me crazy! Iam able to reproduce it  around 1700rpm under very easy throttle. This happens every single morning on my way to work.  Cruzing between 73-75 mph it’s faint and comes and goes. I went to my dealer took a service tech for a ride he heard it. Said he knows absolutely nothing about the new trucks and was his  first time in one. So They have reported it to their engineers and told me to wait for a call back. This was two weeks ago!! I called yesterday they said it could take weeks longer no clue.  Really I pay ? for a fully loaded 6.2 Sierra Denali 4x4 brake upgrades etc.. and my dealer tells me I don’t know. Just drive around with a random ringing sound till we call you !! I little help here GM??

I'm very happy that I'm not the only one...  I'm going to make the trip to a local dealer and take a tech for a ride and see what he says.  I don't usually do business with them but it's driving me insane.  It even cuts through the noise with the radio up...

I have an appointment at the dealer for Dec. 4 but based on Bailey's post I'm not expecting much.

I still think it's an active noise cancellation problem. Based on Bailey's post he obviously has the same stereo system. I'm going to try to find and pull the fuse for the radio, or more specifically the amp for the subwoofer, and drive around. If the noise is gone it will confirm my suspicion. If it's still there then back to the drawing board.

I looked up all the TSB's for these trucks and can't find anything close to what we're describing.

1 hour ago, fish_guru said:

Well, I found two fuses for the infotainment system. I pulled them both, drove around, and the noise is still there. So unless there is some other fuse for the ANC system, my theory is debunked.

I got nothing. :sigh:

I know the ANC uses (at least on the 2018 Sierra) the Crankshaft position sensor replicated signal and the interior microphones. I believe it is designed to be independent from the Infotainment so that it works regardless of the stereo being on or off. Also it is USUALLY most active between 800-1600 RPM.

This is the thread that shows how those of us adding aftermarket subs use to disable the ANC:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/199343-2016-chevy-silverado-how-to-disable-active-noise-cancellation/

Yes, I know this is 2018 information but it MAY help.

Edited by SS502
Typo