Paying $70k for a truck bothers a great many people on these forums too, usually see people attempting to cut down those that can and do buy them claiming it’s stupidity or a waste of money, haters and trolls never going to stop, better off just leave everyone alone and if that’s what they like to do then so be it. If everyone decided to do the same as everyone else on these forums we’d have a bunch of seriously lazy zero go getter population with badly maintained used vehicles for sale and no one or anything to blame.

Sent from above

• Like 1

I used blackstone. I think it was $90 for all 3 analysis. You can tell a real person goes over the findings and writes up a paragraph or so explaining it which I thought was cool. 

For $30 i'd say send in a sample and see if you can go longer or need to shorten it up a bit. I had it both ways on separate vehicles. 

At some point i'll do the same for the new truck to get a good feel of it. 

7 hours ago, rah7777777 said:

I used blackstone. I think it was $90 for all 3 analysis. You can tell a real person goes over the findings and writes up a paragraph or so explaining it which I thought was cool. 

For $30 i'd say send in a sample and see if you can go longer or need to shorten it up a bit. I had it both ways on separate vehicles. 

At some point i'll do the same for the new truck to get a good feel of it. 

Thanks.  May give it a try.   Being I usually change oil when my DIC Oil percent display is showing 70~80% / approx 7~8K miles, I may do the test about then and adjust accordingly.  

23 minutes ago, Snoringbear said:

Thanks.  May give it a try.   Being I usually change oil when my DIC Oil percent display is showing 70~80% / approx 7~8K miles, I may do the test about then and adjust accordingly.  

I did a UOA on our 2016 Suburban at 7,500 miles on the oil.  I sent in my sample to dysonanalysis.  What I like about Terry and his service is you get a PDF file back along with a .wav file explaining each and every line on the report.  Makes it more personable.  I was also able to take my oil changes out to 15k miles which is nice. 

6 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I did a UOA on our 2016 Suburban at 7,500 miles on the oil.  I sent in my sample to dysonanalysis.  What I like about Terry and his service is you get a PDF file back along with a .wav file explaining each and every line on the report.  Makes it more personable.  I was also able to take my oil changes out to 15k miles which is nice. 

Point being you didn't go at it blind, right? The data told you what was possible as the sample us the result of how you drive and the conditions in your area. Terry did mine as well and for now 5K is my limit. 

Grumpy,

You might consider, based on the finding differences between you and Black02Silverado, changing to the oil he is using.  It may be better.

Seriously, that is probably what I would take away from this very limited data and discussion - if you are using different oil, both have their oil tested by the same lab, and the information varies, it could be from conditions or the oil.  Easiest thing to change would be to replicate oils (gong to the one that did better on the testing), then assess the next cycle and then, if warranted, tell everyone which oil was better in your specific application.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Point being you didn't go at it blind, right? The data told you what was possible as the sample us the result of how you drive and the conditions in your area. Terry did mine as well and for now 5K is my limit. 

Yes, I didn't just extend it.  I had my UOA to show I could go longer.  Now on our 2011 Acadia we couldn't go longer than 5k.

30 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

Black02Silverado,

I am assuming you have same exact oil in both the two vehicles?

Yes.  The Acadia had the 3.6l.  The Suburban has the 5.3.  What also helps the Suburban is an 8qt sump to the Acadia's 5.5qt sump. 

9 hours ago, ForumUser said:

Grumpy,

You might consider, based on the finding differences between you and Black02Silverado, changing to the oil he is using.  It may be better.

Seriously, that is probably what I would take away from this very limited data and discussion - if you are using different oil, both have their oil tested by the same lab, and the information varies, it could be from conditions or the oil.  Easiest thing to change would be to replicate oils (gong to the one that did better on the testing), then assess the next cycle and then, if warranted, tell everyone which oil was better in your specific application.

I have about a 20 year relationship with Red Line and have never been disappointed. Not disappointed now. The issue is a GDI problem that add pack isn't going to solve and is universal to all oil group types. 

I do thank you for your interest and concern. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

On 1/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, Black02Silverado said:

Nice, can I interest you in some AMSOIL?  :jester:

Man, I just realized you sell amsoil!

I didnt mean to sound like an ass with my comment about Mobil1. 

I usually run Mobil1 in everything, but the 1 time I branched off I did use amsoil in a motorcycle and never had any issues. It was an older V-twin and felt like (at the time) it did soften the sound of the noisy lifters tapping. Unfortunately I sold the bike about a month later. 

The dealer I used to work at (Mercedes) ran Mobil1 in everything, I now work for a city and our fleet switched over to nothing but amsoil a few years ago. I'm not sure how many miles they are getting on them though. I know originally they were doing oil samples instead of dump and fills, but not sure if they still are or not. 

10 minutes ago, rah7777777 said:

Man, I just realized you sell amsoil!

I didnt mean to sound like an ass with my comment about Mobil1. 

I usually run Mobil1 in everything, but the 1 time I branched off I did use amsoil in a motorcycle and never had any issues. It was an older V-twin and felt like (at the time) it did soften the sound of the noisy lifters tapping. Unfortunately I sold the bike about a month later. 

The dealer I used to work at (Mercedes) ran Mobil1 in everything, I now work for a city and our fleet switched over to nothing but amsoil a few years ago. I'm not sure how many miles they are getting on them though. I know originally they were doing oil samples instead of dump and fills, but not sure if they still are or not. 

No problem.  I was messing with you.  I would be interesting to know what city you work for,  just curious is all.  You can PM me the info if you want.  Good to see they are using AMSOIL.