When I have new engines, I heat cycle them a few times, and then change the oil / filter. Then I drive for 30-60 minutes and change the oil / filter. Then after 500-1000 I change oil/filter. Then every few thousand miles for the first 10K miles. After that I go 3K miles for life. I use regular oil during the break in process, and switch to full synthetic after I have reached the factory recommended break in mileage / hours. I always try to change the oil more than recommended during the break in process. 

I also vary the speed / RPM's, limit the load, limit the RPM's and other stuff for a certain period of time as recommended by engine factories and engine re-builders. 

• Like 1

Change at 500 miles both oil and filter, then change again at 1500 miles, then at 3000 miles.  From there I start to take used oil samples and see how far I can extend my drain intervals. 

Like on our 2016 Suburban. The UOA's show I'm good at 15k miles so that is when I change my oil.  I use AMSOIL Signature Series 0w-20 and AMSOIL filters.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 9:10 PM, pronstar said:

Over 35k miles and counting for me.

Bought it CPO with 29k miles and fresh oil emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haha ? you got me there ? glad I scrolled down...I’ve read and respected most all your posts then this LOL. LMAO

5,000 on oem oil & change to  AMSOIL 0W-20+Filter. 15,000 miles intervals, currently have 16,500 miles.  No make-up oil required. 

Ps-have done 15,000 miles OCI for over 25+ yrs. 

Edited by elcamino

• 2 weeks later...

With my ‘16, I did the first oil change at 3k mi.  I switched to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 0w20. Some guys switch to synthetic immediately but I like to run the factory oil a while to break in the engine. Piston rings sometimes won’t seat correctly using synthetic oil because it lubricates so well.