• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

Starman ... dude, you are wasting a LOT of oil ... why?

Makes him happy.

His way of doing it.

Oil and filters are cheap and a lot easier than replacing engines when you keep your vehicles for a long time and put lots of miles on them.

I still do 3 K mile oil and filter changes because it makes me happy.

:)

• Like 3

Yeah, I get the personal choice thing.

However, as it provides no benefit, it is very wasteful.  Further, others who read these posts may learn this is the right way to do it.

I don't think there is any body of evidence that current engines benefit in any way from these sorts of intervals - only oil companies and oil change companies.  Have there been oil related engine failures on these engines?

I know, I know - mind my own business - I get that as well - again, however, this is simply a practice that has long been debunked.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2019 at 9:18 AM, AJMBLAZER said:

I believe they come from the factory with synthetic now. 

I got four free oil changes with the truck. Just got the second one, the serviceman told me it's all synthetic now.

Yep, all synthetic - frankly, synthetic has been strongly preferred and orders of magnitude better than non-syn for on the road vehicles for about three decades.

Another debunked myth wrt modern engines - that of having to run non-syn until the rings are seated, then switch to synthetic - or, the even older myth that syn MAKES your engine seals leak.

• Like 1

There is no universal interval that applies to everyone. It depends on conditions. Oil is recycled so I don't consider more frequent changes being purely wasteful. Certainly more expensive.
I changed first at 800 miles. Then drove 3000 between two free oil changes with dealer. Now I have to change before each 7500 as required by my lifetime warranty. Oil monitor on truck agrees most of the time with mostly city driving.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'll be changing mine this weekend, 1300 miles, little later than I'd like but I couldn't find the time. The only reason I do it is peace of mind, I know these engines are broken in when they are built, or whatever, I just like to the idea of getting any contaminants out of the engine, like metal fragments etc. At the end of the day it just makes me feel better so I do it, plus I enjoy doing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForumUser said:

Yeah, I get the personal choice thing.

However, as it provides no benefit, it is very wasteful.  Further, others who read these posts may learn this is the right way to do it.

I don't think there is any body of evidence that current engines benefit in any way from these sorts of intervals - only oil companies and oil change companies.  Have there been oil related engine failures on these engines?

I know, I know - mind my own business - I get that as well - again, however, this is simply a practice that has long been debunked.

HOW I LEARNED TO MIND MY OWN BUSINESS:

I was walking past the mental hospital the other day and all the patients were shouting "13...13...13"

The fence was too high to see/look over but I saw a little gap in the planks so I looked through to see what was going on.

Some idiot poked me in the eye with a stick and they all started shouting "14...14...14"

Sorry ForumUser...this wasn't a "poke" at you personally :thumbs:

Edited by SS502
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

That is funny :-)

At least if someone reads this thread they will see a difference of opinion - and, I hope recognize fact from feelings.

Things have changed in the world - engines and parts and assembly and lubricants.  Changing your oil (synthetic) after delivery and a few hundred or even 1000 miles is unnecessary and wasteful.  Changing it every 3000 miles under normal conditions is extremely wasteful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Makes him happy.

His way of doing it.

Oil and filters are cheap and a lot easier than replacing engines when you keep your vehicles for a long time and put lots of miles on them.

8 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

That is funny :-)

At least if someone reads this thread they will see a difference of opinion - and, I hope recognize fact from feelings.

Things have changed in the world - engines and parts and assembly and lubricants.  Changing your oil (synthetic) after delivery and a few hundred or even 1000 miles is unnecessary and wasteful.  Changing it every 3000 miles under normal conditions is extremely wasteful.

3 K miles still makes me sleep well.

4JNnF6A.gif

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, Black02Silverado said:

Change at 500 miles both oil and filter, then change again at 1500 miles, then at 3000 miles.  

On this Rick and my Father agree. Dad gets diesel like longevity from his gas motors so...…...

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

Makes him happy.

His way of doing it.

This is where Dad and Rick differ and Dad joins DYIER2. Dad gets diesel like longevity from his gas motors so... (am I repeating myself? :lol:)

11 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

Building trucks to a five year service life isn't? Briggs and Stratton now proclaims you NEVER have to change your oil! Factory fill forever! 

There is nothing in the new technology that cancels the mechanics of wear that have remained the same since the dawn of time. 

Materials, techniques and lubricants can and have changed the slope but the slope remains the slope. Not taking advantage of that ?????

Dad is now 90. His first car a 29 A Tour. What hasn't he seen? Why would I toss that reference point? Why would I give the advancements in materials, techniques and lubricants back to the manufactures that steal from me so they are the ones to benefit from their treachery. Great they have created a flatter slope. Change often and it gets flatter still. I can live with that. 

2 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

The reference point has changed - substantively. 

??????????????? Yes it has and I'm not giving it back. Didn't I make that clear? 

2 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

I don't under the treachery comment, at all?

What would you call framing 'less' as 'more'? Giving less and taking more? 

Lunch is calling me loudly. 

28 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

Wasteful is an opinion.  Free country. 

Also - these aren’t high end race engines hand assembled and fitted from parts built on advanced 3 axis CNC machines at McLaren, Porsche, Ferrari, or Honda Racing. They’re mass produced engines built from cast parts. Doing an early oil change (or two) won’t hurt anything at worst. Lots of casting flash, dust, and wear particulate in there. 

• Like 1