2 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Wow, these posts get off of topic, so I am going to change my oil everyday for a year, and then never again. I think that might make everyone on this post happy?!?

Just be sure to add 1 quart of antifreeze with each change...you know, in case you ever install a Catch Can...it’ll keep it from freezing up ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SS502 said:

Just be sure to add 1 quart of antifreeze with each change...you know, in case you ever install a Catch Can...it’ll keep it from freezing up ?

The catch can, hell I am going to stuff a 55 gallon drum under the hood with a series of hoses, switches, computers, etc... It will actually be able to refine oil by itself, never need to change or add, completely self contained. Seems that everyone forgets that these trucks are machines, and they will break someday no matter how well you maintain them, if you want them to last forever, park them in the garage and never drive them. Say, you were talking about Easter eggs, now I am hungry....

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

The catch can, hell I am going to stuff a 55 gallon drum under the hood with a series of hoses, switches, computers, etc... It will actually be able to refine oil by itself, never need to change or add, completely self contained. Seems that everyone forgets that these trucks are machines, and they will break someday no matter how well you maintain them, if you want them to last forever, park them in the garage and never drive them. Say, you were talking about Easter eggs, now I am hungry....

Well...uhm...that's the thing... they may break even faster...

so long

j-ten-ner

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

Well...uhm...that's the thing... they may break even faster...

so long

j-ten-ner

Chance you take either way, I was meticulous my 16, and had a valve break at 23000 miles and destroy the engine, there are no guarantees when you are driving something that starts to wear out the first time you start it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Chance you take either way, I was meticulous my 16, and had a valve break at 23000 miles and destroy the engine, there are no guarantees when you are driving something that starts to wear out the first time you start it. 

I'd be surprised if that had anything to do with your oil change interval.

so long

j-ten-ner

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My be careful response had nothing to do with me. It had to do with the self righteous beast you were attempting to converse with. Agree with the beast he’s your friend. Disagree with your a troll, his words. With respect Stan.

Matt. 11:16-19 (Jesus speaking)  “With whom shall I compare this generation? It is like young children sitting in the marketplaces who cry out to their playmates, saying, ‘We played the flute for YOU, but YOU did not dance; we wailed, but YOU did not beat yourselves in grief.  Correspondingly, John (the Baptist) came neither eating nor drinking,  yet people say, ‘He has a demon’; the Son of man (Jesus) did come eating and drinking, still people say, ‘Look! A man gluttonous and given to drinking wine, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.  All the same, wisdom is proved righteous by its works.”

Some people can't be happy with anything you do. I get it. With respect Marty

Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage (barrel #77  1-5-2011) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Materials failure isn't an oil related failure. But you know that. Because it might happen is a reason not to take care of it?

You're going to get dirty again so maybe you shouldn't shower? You will hunger again so don't eat, that sort of thing? :lol:

It's a tool that, "moth and rust consume". Still a cleaned and oiled spade last longer than one that isn't. 

Pretty sure none of this is lost on you so I am lost as to the replies intent. 

10 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I'd be surprised if that had anything to do with your oil change interval.

so long

j-ten-ner

You are correct sir, that is why I will be changing my oil daily in my 18 till the day I get a new truck in 3 years.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I think that I'm going to re-read the thread . Maybe I missed something.

so long

j-ten-ner

Nah, everything has been covered from religion, Easter eggs, catch cans, mileage between intervals, family heritage, insults, compliments, trolls, oil and how it is used, made, maybe disposed of, the physics of oil viscosity, and probably missed a few things, for a simple question, when is a good time to get your first oi change?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

lol

I did my first oil change at about 1000km (600-ish miles).

I don't know if it was a good time. It just felt good.

so long

j-ten-ner

That is the best answer to the OP's question, what makes you feel comfortable. Thank you sir for being the voice of reason!!!!

37 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Materials failure isn't an oil related failure. But you know that. Because it might happen is a reason not to take care of it?

You're going to get dirty again so maybe you shouldn't shower? You will hunger again so don't eat, that sort of thing? :lol:

It's a tool that, "moth and rust consume". Still a cleaned and oiled spade last longer than one that isn't. 

Pretty sure none of this is lost on you so I am lost as to the replies intent. 

I agree, valve was not oil (maintenance) related, do like the idea of not showering, but co-workers and wife will not go for it, I have been eating for a long time, if I did not need too, probably would not (thinking of meals is a PITA) and only point I was trying to make was, things happen that you can not control even when you are applying your best intentions.

So, did we get a definitive answer to the OPs question (paraphrased) “What is a good mileage for the first oil change?” I’m at 1400 miles on a ‘19 6.2. Oil is pretty honey-like but slightly darker than it likely was from the factory. I’m thinking 2k miles, maybe slightly earlier if I can live that long with that $&@)”?!$ squeak that has developed in the dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk