Any ill effects from air filter box hose being loose?

I reset my onboard before taking off today and put on about  50 miles taking my daughter shopping (mostly stop n go with holiday traffic and about 8 miles on the highway at about my usual 72 mph) and it shows 2.1 mpg over my lifetime calculated average combined city/highway. My onboard is fairly accurate based on compared hand calculations on a full tank but I'll wait until next fill up and hand calculate to see if there is really any long term improvement. 

IMG_2397.thumb.JPG.0829a3f7d17fd8f048777f26702f4f11.JPG

6 minutes ago, Marv88 said:

I reset my onboard before taking off today and put on about  50 miles taking my daughter shopping (mostly stop n go with holiday traffic and about 8 miles on the highway at about my usual 72 mph) and it shows 2.1 mpg over my lifetime calculated average combined city/highway. My onboard is fairly accurate based on compared hand calculations on a full tank but I'll wait until next fill up and hand calculate to see if there is really any long term improvement. 

IMG_2397.thumb.JPG.0829a3f7d17fd8f048777f26702f4f11.JPG

Thats exactly what my average says but i have a heavy foot

12 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Thats exactly what my average says but i have a heavy foot

I don't have a lead foot except when getting on the highway sometimes and figured I should get at least what you get since I know you mostly drive city as well. 

Just now, qwank said:

Wow, I beat the ever living crap out of my truck and I'm getting 18mpg

DSC_1511.thumb.JPG.21391802ba3276a8c23195a5709004bb.JPG

All of you guys with the same basic truck who posted your mpg on my build thread are getting way better mileage than I am so I believe something is wrong whether or not it is this (on my last almost all highway trip I  only got 15.3 if I remember correctly!)

10 minutes ago, qwank said:

Wow, I beat the ever living crap out of my truck and I'm getting 18mpg

DSC_1511.thumb.JPG.21391802ba3276a8c23195a5709004bb.JPG

Truck hardly ever moves and its always city.  Freeway if i set the cruise control at 75. Ill average 25 26 the whole trip

5 minutes ago, Marv88 said:

All of you guys with the same basic truck who posted your mpg on my build thread are getting way better mileage than I am so I believe something is wrong whether or not it is this (on my last almost all highway trip I  only got 15.3 if I remember correctly!)

Its those 22s and offroad tires you have

1 hour ago, Nasty said:

Truck hardly ever moves and its always city.  Freeway if i set the cruise control at 75. Ill average 25 26 the whole trip

Its those 22s and offroad tires you have

Yeah there's gotta be something goofy with mine. No off-road tires and they actually rated well for rolling resistance. I'm going down to 20's eventually and we'll see if that makes any difference. 

Did you turn off AFM/DOD?

My guess is your gear and wheel/tire combo is what’s killing your mpg. If you do a fair amount of city driving, the truck is working harder to get you around town. You might want to consider shorter gears. If you plan on keeping AFM active, you can over-gear enough that the truck runs on 4 cylinders a majority of the time.

I had 3.42s and went up to 4.56 and I saw a 28% increase in fuel mileage until I decided to shut off AFM. My wheels/tires are 33.5” and weigh 110lbs each. I went from 12mpg to 15.3mpg and the truck was in 4 cylinder mode about 50% of the time, even in city driving. With cruise set at 70mph I averaged 20mpg. I would imagine you would get even better results.

4 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

Did you turn off AFM/DOD?

My guess is your gear and wheel/tire combo is what’s killing your mpg. If you do a fair amount of city driving, the truck is working harder to get you around town. You might want to consider shorter gears. If you plan on keeping AFM active, you can over-gear enough that the truck runs on 4 cylinders a majority of the time.

I had 3.42s and went up to 4.56 and I saw a 28% increase in fuel mileage until I decided to shut off AFM. My wheels/tires are 33.5” and weigh 110lbs each. I went from 12mpg to 15.3mpg and the truck was in 4 cylinder mode about 50% of the time, even in city driving. With cruise set at 70mph I averaged 20mpg. I would imagine you would get even better results.

AFM is still activated and I got pretty much the same mileage when I had the stock 17's (the tIres I have are the same height as stock 17's)

5 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Just and FYI, I use the Fuelly app to calculate my mpg.  Really easy to use and it keeps track of other things like what maintenance you do to your vehicle. 

Thanks and I'm sure that will be better than my pad and paper! 

A short trip of  11 miles this morning with about 2 miles mostly in stop n go traffic through a construction zone from my house  to the highway, 2-3 miles or so on the highway at my typical 72 mph and the rest uphill on a winding road into the forest and mileage actually crept up .2 mpg according to the onboard. I sure hope this is some kind of fluke as Im not gonna be happy if that loose hose has been causing this poor mileage all this time. One thing I did notice is that it no longer continually runs a bit rough at idle but periodically it will "hiccup" like an engine misfiring and then smooth right back out. 

IMG_2399.thumb.JPG.9e0e2e6492677b90a8db55223590c912.JPG

Edited by Marv88

7 hours ago, Marv88 said:

A short trip of  11 miles this morning with about 2 miles mostly in stop n go traffic through a construction zone from my house  to the highway, 2-3 miles or so on the highway at my typical 72 mph and the rest uphill on a winding road into the forest and mileage actually crept up .2 mpg according to the onboard. I sure hope this is some kind of fluke as Im not gonna be happy if that loose hose has been causing this poor mileage all this time. One thing I did notice is that it no longer continually runs a bit rough at idle but periodically it will "hiccup" like an engine misfiring and then smooth right back out. 

IMG_2399.thumb.JPG.9e0e2e6492677b90a8db55223590c912.JPG

No its normal.  Your mileage is decent. If you disable afm that will help your average some for sure