Any ill effects from air filter box hose being loose?

I was under the hood running power wire for my audio system and found the clamp on this hose to the air filter box was off  (hose wasn't completely off like shown for the pic rather it was loose with the clamp just hanging there ) Any possible ill effects from this not being sealed tightly for who knows how long?

IMG_2393.thumb.JPG.70232d000a3d86b463359e7db82d7288.JPG

If there is any air leaks at that location, you will not be getting the proper engine performance. You will allow un-metered air into the intake system, which can effect power output and fuel economy. In theory, it could cause issues if it was like that for a very long time - but will not cause any issues sort term. 

Another problem with air leaks downstream of the air filter, is that dirt and dust can enter the combustion chamber. This can shorten the life of the engine (mainly the rings and valves), and to a lesser degree - the bottom end of the motor. 

The best thing you can do, is to tighten that clamp and have a beer. 

If you REALLY want to go all out, you could change the oil as well, but I don't think its necessary. When your engine ingests large amounts of dust, a VERY small amount of it gets into the engine oil. In fact, some companies are making small engines that have "lifetime oil". One of the biggest changes to the "lifetime oil" motor is actually in the air filter system. They also increase the effectiveness of oil cooling system. 

Edited by starman8tdc

Thanks guys! I removed the clamp and there were no signs on the rubber that it had ever been tightened so I believe it has been like that from day one. I have taken the truck in several times to 2 different dealerships complaining about the poor mpg  (11.2 average calculated for nearly 2 years which recently went up to 12.6 average since I'm driving more highway the last few months) based on what others here with the same truck/similar driving habits are getting as well as the rough idle only to be told if no code came up there was nothing they could do. Interestingly enough I just started it up to run down to the gas station and the rough idle is totally gone so I have a feeling this may have had something to do with it and I'll report back next fill up to see if anything changes  (if the mpg does go up they aren't  gonna be happy to see me in that service department!) 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Enough said:

Now we know what that turkey was doing to your truck in February of  '17  !! 

The scratches on your hood actually came from the screwdriver he used to loosen the clamp !!

Lol! Funny thing is we haven't seen any more in the neighborhood since I put their buddy out next to the truck! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, qwank said:

If the check engine light never came on then it probably wasn't even leaking.  just make sure there's no dirt or anything in there.  I think you're ok though

I have a feeling it was leaking some as the hose was very loose on the fitting. I'll take it apart tomorrow to see if there's any dirt inside. 

I had to get our ATS buffed out because a turkey was "fighting" itself in the reflection in the paint.  Unfortunately, he was at it for a while before I caught him, luckily a turkey beak isn't that hard so no deep scratches.  

5 minutes ago, qwank said:

I had to get our ATS buffed out because a turkey was "fighting" itself in the reflection in the paint.  Unfortunately, he was at it for a while before I caught him, luckily a turkey beak isn't that hard so no deep scratches.  

Ouch!

I guess your guys don't realize how much better one of those brown turkey's taste than the hormone injected Butterballs do.

A little polyester pillow filling in a 2 liter bottle over the end of the .22 rifle barrel and.......nothing left but the plucking.  Show the neighbor with the black Audi what those turkey feet do to paint and give them a drumstick. They'll never tell !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 300 Blackout said:

On a side note, the Blue RCSB looks sweet! I enjoyed reading your build thread too. If that Turkey was hanging around my truck I think something would come unscrewed in my head and I’d be like Bill Murray in Caddyshack until that F*er was gone.

Thanks!

Good thing he didn't go over the back fence as that neighbor has a bunch of hunting dogs that were being unusually quiet so I'm pretty sure they knew there was some fowl around!

:D