Adding fog lamps to lower trims?

MikeNH

I'm still a few months out from replacing the Jeep but if I go with GM it'll be a Custom Trail Boss. Hate that it doesn't have fog lamps. Driven a few rentals in rain storms without fogs and it's super annoying how weak the lights are without them. Anyone with a Custom trim wanna crawl underneath and see if the wiring is there? In my 2003 base model Silverado it had the wiring in the cab and behind the bumper to add them. 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:13 PM, jhplak325 said:

Uncertain if this helps or not, but Chevy offers a fog light kit for the 2019+ trucks. Includes fog lights, switch and harness. 

That does. It fixes the biggest thing I wished the Custom had. Thanks. 

Edited by MikeNH

1 hour ago, DTB said:

I’d be more concerned about the cheapo lights they stuff into the customs. After my 16’s led lights, not sure I could go back to that old crap. 

It is a letdown that GM downgraded the lights on these trucks but I’m not a huge fan of LED. I had them in my Wrangler and while they lit up the road nicely, they couldn’t melt snow off so when we got the “warm weather” snow that was heavy and wet, it plugged up the headlights. They didn’t get hit enough to melt snow. It won’t be as good but I’m sure if I wanted to I could get some LED bulbs as long as they didn’t dump massive amounts of glare like some aftermarket stuff does. 

I’m also not 100% anti-halogen. The lightning on my Grand Cherokee is great. In past vehicles I ran upgraded bulbs and was satisfied too. We’ll see. It isn’t apples to apples but once I get my tax return back and know how much money I have to play with I’ll be comparing a Custom Trail Boss to a Big Horn Ram. Both have things I really like and some stuff I’m not crazy about. 

8 hours ago, MikeNH said:

That does. It fixes the biggest think I wished the Custom had. Thanks. 

Not a problem, I should have included a link to the accessories website https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/front-foglamp-kit-84125494?categoryId=12001

Looks like they offer 2 different kits https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/2019/Chevrolet/Silverado 1500/front-foglamp-kit-84280752

• Thanks 1

I am impressed they priced them only at $300. Seems like a good deal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I got this done to my truck, I didn’t install it myself I took it to the Chevy dealership. It takes a long time for them to get the activation code from GM. The instal cost around 400 without tax.

D4BF34A6-D1DA-4219-AE6D-6B7777C48CC6.jpeg

EB3FE9E5-2242-4863-A9CB-DD617C2AFB8A.jpeg

700E9CFB-E12D-4F6F-A71B-2C7D68B68675.jpeg

Edited by Clifftons
Adding cost
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Clifftons said:

I got this done to my truck, I didn’t install it myself I took it to the Chevy dealership. It takes a long time for them to get the activation code from GM. The instal cost around 400 without tax.

D4BF34A6-D1DA-4219-AE6D-6B7777C48CC6.jpeg

EB3FE9E5-2242-4863-A9CB-DD617C2AFB8A.jpeg

700E9CFB-E12D-4F6F-A71B-2C7D68B68675.jpeg

Edit: disregard that. Didn't see your bill picture til later.  Still overpriced at 135, but far less so than 400.  

400 to install fog lights?  That's insane. Maybe worth an hour of labor, but that's way too much. All you're doing is removing the old bit, installing it, plugging it in to the harness, and then replacing the blank switch in the cabin with the one provided and likely adding a fuse. They wanted 2 hours of labor to do the in channel deflectors.  I laughed and had them on myself in 5 minutes.  

Edited by Ion

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, Ion said:

Edit: disregard that. Didn't see your bill picture til later.  Still overpriced at 135, but far less so than 400.  

400 to install fog lights?  That's insane. Maybe worth an hour of labor, but that's way too much. All you're doing is removing the old bit, installing it, plugging it in to the harness, and then replacing the blank switch in the cabin with the one provided and likely adding a fuse. They wanted 2 hours of labor to do the in channel deflectors.  I laughed and had them on myself in 5 minutes.  

Hmm this worries me. I have a 2018 that didn't come with fog lights.. so I have a new OEM bumper with fog cutouts, fog lights, harness and switch ready to be installed. Is $135/hr the average going rate for dealership labor these days? If it was $400 to do his, I can't imagine what it's going to cost for mine since they're be completely swapping out bumpers etc..