Which GMT-800 to buy

15 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I have a 2002 5.3 with max tow.

If you plan on doing any towing id suggest a 1500HD with the 6.0 or a 2500HD

My opinion, year won’t matter much as condition of the veh you buy.  I’d take an 99 with a rebuilt transmission over a 2007 beater

towing will be an 16ft open trailer, 4-5k lbs. That shouldn't be an issue for a 5.3, right?

16 minutes ago, greatmizzou said:

I have a 2002 5.3 with max tow.

If you plan on doing any towing id suggest a 1500HD with the 6.0 or a 2500HD

My opinion, year won’t matter much as condition of the veh you buy.  I’d take an 99 with a rebuilt transmission over a 2007 beater

1500HD with the 6.0 or a 2500HD

The 1500HD with 6.0 was rock!  Love those models....2500's too!  They have their quarks and known cheap areas...engine and drivetrain not one of them.

53 minutes ago, Bxnanaz said:

In the market for a GMT-800 5.3. Will be used for towing my race car mainly, but also on "regular" trips. Do any years seem to be the best, or is pretty much any 99-06/07 good?

Had a 2004, really liked the truck, was last year with 4 way disc brakes. Would think it will be easier to find a 2500 rather than a 1500HD. What is your budget, have you thought about a Duramax from that era?

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

Had a 2004, really liked the truck, was last year with 4 way disc brakes. Would think it will be easier to find a 2500 rather than a 1500HD. What is your budget, have you thought about a Duramax from that era?

Budget is the $5K range. I'm not really looking for a 1500hd. Will either go 1500 5.3 or 2500 6.0

17 hours ago, Bxnanaz said:

I've thought about a 2500 with the 6.0 but the gas mileage is just awful on a 6.0

True. I have a 7.4 and I get as good or better.

However, for towing the kind of weight you want to tow, I suspect a 1500 isn't enough truck. Get a scaled weight on your fully loaded trailer, then consult the owner's manuals, which you can find online. Then you can pick out the appropriate truck and drive train.

How often/far will you be towing?  For frequent towing and longer hauls, IMHO a 2500 will be the way to go.  Yes, the mileage isn't as good, but they're completely bulletproof trucks.  Buy once, cry once.

Yes, a half-ton should be able to tow your trailer.  I towed as heavy as 7,000 lbs with my half-ton '01, including into the Rockies.  The rear axle is the weak link on these trucks.  The 5.3 motor from those years is awesome.

2003 was the mid-cycle refresh for the platform - new gauges/steering wheel/electronics, etc.  If I was in the market, I'd be looking 2004-2006.

If you really want crappy mileage, go find an 8.1 2500.  :-)

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:38 PM, Bxnanaz said:

I've thought about a 2500 with the 6.0 but the gas mileage is just awful on a 6.0

Should think about a 2500 with a Duramax. imo I cannot believe though how even the gmt800 diesel trucks are hold there value.

Edited by Likarok