Infotainment screen locked up?

Had this happen yesterday. Screen and functions locked up with only limited response to some home screen inputs. Finally froze on the camera icon. was able to access the system through Apple Car Play on the phone but nothing happened on the truck's screen. After turning truck on and off a couple of times and a 2 hour drive it went back to normal.

Infotainment screen locks up on me, also.  Just started doing it recently.  1K more miles on this puppy and it goes in for its first service. I don't want it back until all these bugs are fixed.

Edited by John Balways

On 1/3/2019 at 11:19 AM, Bobv07662 said:

Had this happen yesterday. Screen and functions locked up with only limited response to some home screen inputs. Finally froze on the camera icon. was able to access the system through Apple Car Play on the phone but nothing happened on the truck's screen. After turning truck on and off a couple of times and a 2 hour drive it went back to normal.

We're happy that your infotainment screen is up and running, Bob. Please keep us updated if it acts up again. Thanks!

Anthony J.

Edited by GMCustomerService

On 1/5/2019 at 9:03 AM, John Balways said:

Infotainment screen locks up on me, also.  Just started doing it recently.  1K more miles on this puppy and it goes in for its first service. I don't want it back until all these bugs are fixed.

We're sorry to hear this, John. Please keep us updated when you bring in your truck for service to address this issue. You're always welcome to send us private message if you have any additional questions. 

Anthony J.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I purchased  my 2019 Silverado on 3/9/19, 2 weeks later the infotainment screen displayed black and blue lines horizontally for 3-5 seconds, then the screen turned black, 5 seconds later smoke began rising from the dash filling the cabin with smoke.(@ 250 miles) After two trips back to dealer I received my truck back ( one trip=screen replacement, 2nd trip= replace upper glove box door damaged in disassembly and to realign center console side panels). After driving my truck for a week, as I prepared to go out for dinner with my family, the infotainment screen displayed black and blue lines  again, screen turned black and smoke came from the dash again.(@ 700 miles) WTF. The dealer has had my truck for one week now and I am being told the cause was a faulty infotainment screen control module which cause the screen to burn-out again. I spent 53k for an effin lemon, should have purchased a Ford. Chevy has one more chance to get it right or my attorney will be contacting them to file suit under the Massachusetts Lemon Law.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 6:09 AM, Donjr76 said:

Mine locked up on my 2019 3500hd with 100 miles on it  then the cab filled with smoke and you could smell melting wires. No I’m wondering if and when it gets fixed what is going to go wrong next

Were you able to get this repaired?

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Last week my info screen went black on my 2019 Silverado, <800 mls. It happened twice. Took it to the dealer and it actually failed for them. The service manager told me that they were under the assumption that everything was new and redesigned. They discovered that mine was not up to date. Firmware/O-S what ever you want to call it, so they updated it. I also mentioned about the backup screen being overly bright, he said that the upgrade might help. Sad to say it did not. However it got me wondering, I noticed that the leds for the license plate were directly below the camera and sensor. So this morning, I put a piece of duct tape over each led and low and behold, the screen wasn't as blinding as before. Now all I have to do is figure out some way to fashion a 'hood' to illuminate the license plate without shining directly on the camera.

Happy trails.

• 5 months later...

I bought my 2019 Trail Boss Custom at the end of May and have been fighting this display screen freeze since two weeks after purchase. They first replaced the radio, then replaced the display 4 days later it froze again. I have been a Chevy girl for a long time and for the first time not happy. I am trying to be patient but this is really getting old, I work in the construction industry and need the hands free to work. I spent $50k on the truck, should be a le to turn the key and have it purr like a kitten. Please let me know if I can give the mechanic something to try. They said they will rent me a truck so they can keep mine a few days to try and pin point the problem. I am really missing my 2011 Silverado crew cab ... not 1 issue with old Betty... she was the best truck 

• 1 month later...

Bought my custom trail boss 3 weeks ago. Day one I had to go back because the pos screen froze and all audio stopped working. They disconnected the battery and sent me on my way. Three weeks later it has frozen again and I am not even to 900 miles yet wtf!  Currently sitting in my wife's car with no truck to drive while they look again. Seems almost a year after being out and Chevy still can’t get it right? Come on this is the first new vehicle I have ever purchased but so far just putting me off if this is what I can expect from a $50k truck. 

Edited by 3forDale

Had my info screen go black several times before my first service. Notified the dealer of the problem and they were unable to find anything, but also did not document the problem on my paperwork. Since it has gone out several more times.Today I started the truck and the radio came on but the screen was blank. The volume would turn up and down but nothing visible.I turned the truck off and restarted several times to get the same result. Shift into reverse and the camera comes up but as soon as I shift to drive or park it goes briefly to the home screen then back blank. Even shut the truck off got out and locked it up to find out the radio stayed on until it timed out. After over an hour of fooling around I finally gave up and drove it that way. Got back in started it up and working.This time I was able to take a video of what was happening so we will see when it goes back. Pretty disappointed at this time as it seems to be becoming more frequent. 7000 miles and problems? I already had to take it upon myself to fix the exaust that was rubbing on the bumper cut out and vibrating throughout the cab.

On 11/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, Cpb said:

Had my info screen go black several times before my first service. Notified the dealer of the problem and they were unable to find anything, but also did not document the problem on my paperwork. Since it has gone out several more times.Today I started the truck and the radio came on but the screen was blank. The volume would turn up and down but nothing visible.I turned the truck off and restarted several times to get the same result. Shift into reverse and the camera comes up but as soon as I shift to drive or park it goes briefly to the home screen then back blank. Even shut the truck off got out and locked it up to find out the radio stayed on until it timed out. After over an hour of fooling around I finally gave up and drove it that way. Got back in started it up and working.This time I was able to take a video of what was happening so we will see when it goes back. Pretty disappointed at this time as it seems to be becoming more frequent. 7000 miles and problems? I already had to take it upon myself to fix the exaust that was rubbing on the bumper cut out and vibrating throughout the cab.

Happened to me this weekend, got error message (service rear camera) and then a half blue screen. 

working fine an hour later, took to dealership they will be replacing camera, there's a bulletin to replace camera.

Just had same problem this morning with less than 1,800 miles on the truck. Black screen, radio worked for a while then it shut off as well and the rear view camera comes on but doesn't have the grid shown and Bluetooth doesn't work. anything dealing with the infotainment system is just shut down.

• 3 weeks later...

So if this continues to be a problem after multiple repair attempts (as it seems to be for most people), is it likely to qualify for a lemon law buy back or is the screen not a serious enough issue for them to consider that?

Also, I know this is for a 2017, but has anyone tried this tip  from this video?

Edited by tuna mac