new 6.6L gm heavy duty gas engine in 2020

3 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

Well, that came out wrong, love my truck, dead solid. It seems to me that we had usually heard something of interest within 2 or 3 months of a release of a brand new engine, there's just nothing of the structure of this new block. I guess it's the new thing, just like the new 3 liter diesel that's coming out, nothing concrete about the real running versions that are around.

yeah i dunno, i haven’t followed the new trucks closely because i cannot see replacing mine any time soon.  i am very impressed so far with my 6.0!

• Like 1

It will be a direct injected failure with cylinder deactivation.  Even if makes more power it won't run long enough to matter.. be like Rams losing camshafts constantly.  Junk. But hey... lots of fleets still buy Hemis even if it's a 50/50 chance if the heap makes it beyond 50000 miles.

Edited by SierraHD17

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, 2009GMC said:

Searching the 'net for gm heavy duty gas engine 2020 has lots of speculation about a new 6.6L replacing the 6.0L for 2020 HD trucks.

6.6L LXX

400HP

450TQ

Direct Injected

GM 10 speed HD (Allison branded GM built Transmission) ?

I’m guessing that this new HD 6.6 may be a cast iron version of the current aluminum 1500 6.2, Bored/stroked.   Kinda interesting though that the 6.2 exceeds the 6.6 in both hp and torque.  Personally, I think GM should have designed the 6.6 to be a 7.0 which is legendary 427 CI and taken the hp to around 435 and upped the torque to around 500.  Would have established a clear difference between not only the GM aluminum 6.2 but competition’s HD gassers as well.  Anyway, my two bits ?...

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 11:48 PM, SierraHD17 said:

It will be a direct injected failure with cylinder deactivation.  Even if makes more power it won't run long enough to matter.. be like Rams losing camshafts constantly.  Junk. But hey... lots of fleets still buy Hemis even if it's a 50/50 chance if the heap makes it beyond 50000 miles.

No AFM (cylinder deactivation) and no auto startstop on the 6.6 gas, according to another site that claims confirmation from GM. 

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/02/new-gm-6-6-liter-v8-l8t-engine-no-active-fuel-management-auto-stop-start/

Direct injection.  10.8.1 compression ratio.  Variable cam timing.  Cast iron block, forged steel crank. hypereutectic pistons. Very minor over bore compared to the 6.0 and a bit more stroke. Simple and effective upgrade.  Only the 6 speed though. 

A hypereutectic piston is an internal combustion engine piston cast using a hypereutectic alloy–that is, a metallic alloy which has a composition beyond the eutectic point. Hypereutectic pistons are made of an aluminum alloy which has much more silicon present than is soluble in aluminum at the operating temperature.

10 hours ago, Shall36 said:

Anyone else not thrilled about the direct injection part?

Did a little googling before making this post;  the only downside I could find with direct injection is the possibility of carbon buildup on the backside of intake valves.  And, this occurs most frequently on turbo engines.  Newer engine designs have reduced but not eliminated this possibility.  However, some “experts” recommend using only Top Tier premium and have the valve cleaning treatment performed at 50K miles.  I had it done on my daughters 2012 Hyundai Sonata and it now has about 120K miles with no issues.  What are issues that have you concerned about direct injection?  Just curious...

2 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

Did a little googling before making this post;  the only downside I could find with direct injection is the possibility of carbon buildup on the backside of intake valves.  And, this occurs most frequently on turbo engines.  Newer engine designs have reduced but not eliminated this possibility.  However, some “experts” recommend using only Top Tier premium and have the valve cleaning treatment performed at 50K miles.  I had it done on my daughters 2012 Hyundai Sonata and it now has about 120K miles with no issues.  What are issues that have you concerned about direct injection?  Just curious...

Apparently, GM has some sort of 'catch can' tech built into this engine, something they have a patent on. It would address the build up potential. I wish I had a link to provide but the info is definitely out there somewhere in the mass of media coverage.

Current

6.0L

360 HP @5400RPM

380 TQ @4200RPM

Port injection

9.7:1 Compression ratio

87 octane. No AFM / DFM

GM 6 Speed Automatic

2020 6.6L L8T 

6.6L

401 HP @5200RPM

464 TQ @4000RPM

Direct injection

10.8:1 Compression ratio

87 octane. No AFM / DFM

GM 6 Speed Automatic

My concerns with direct injection are carbon on the intake valves and the added complexity and expense of direct injection versus port injection. I’m not sure if the extra complexity is worth it.  Of course, it’s all good until it breaks. Even with improved oil control, the DI motors are prone to carbon buildup. There’s just no way around it. The turbo motors and the European small displacement motors are the worst, but without fuel going over the valves, there’s no way to keep deposits off. 

I’m interested to see how Ford’s new 7.3 does in the real world. It will be interesting to see how the unloaded fuel economy comes out. That motor with the ten speed trans will be a beast. Simple design and port injection. 

I am am interested in the 6.6 but just can’t get over the terrible styling updates. Someone stayed up many nights to think up something that ugly. 

8 minutes ago, Shall36 said:

My concerns with direct injection are carbon on the intake valves and the added complexity and expense of direct injection versus port injection. I’m not sure if the extra complexity is worth it.  Of course, it’s all good until it breaks. Even with improved oil control, the DI motors are prone to carbon buildup. There’s just no way around it. The turbo motors and the European small displacement motors are the worst, but without fuel going over the valves, there’s no way to keep deposits off. 

I’m interested to see how Ford’s new 7.3 does in the real world. It will be interesting to see how the unloaded fuel economy comes out. That motor with the ten speed trans will be a beast. Simple design and port injection. 

I am am interested in the 6.6 but just can’t get over the terrible styling updates. Someone stayed up many nights to think up something that ugly. 

Did ford discontinue the V-10 for their HD trucks?  I know it’s still being sold to RV manufacturers for their gasser pusher option.

Ford has an all new 7.3 gas motor for the 250 to 650 trucks. They are being tight lipped on figures but say it will split the difference between the 6.2 and 6.7. Its design for constant heavy loads in their medium duty trucks. Fleet buyers should be happy given simple design. I imagine they will discontinue the V10 but I don’t know that for certain. It’s a more compact package than the 6.2 as its cam in block.