Defective Paint - 2015 Suburban

Update to my post for 2017 tahoe. Dealership will repaint hood and roof for 1500. We have to pay 750. I am not happy about this. I have 30 days to make a decision. It has to be done. It looks like someone has taken sandpaper to the hood. We have always purchased Gm/Chevy. This has been our most expensive and worst vehicle.

I purchased a 2015 Tahoe and have the same issue with most of the damage occuring on the hood and roof.  Pattern of damage was circular and looked like someone took wire mesh to it.  The vehicle is currently in the repair shop being painted.   Local dealer has been very good to me and recommended reaching out to corporate.  Never thought they would assist so I'm paying out of pocket.  Stumbled onto this forum while looking for potential cause.

Based on comments on this thread, we know the condition spreads from 2015 to 2018, even saw a 2014 in there.  Just another one of those things that’s going on with this generation.  It's happening to my truck too.  I waxed the truck every time it was washed so there was always protection from the elements.  This is not happening anywhere else on the truck, but that’s not to say it won’t.  The inferior GM paint job combined with the sub-par paint, takes more of a hit with the sections of the truck exposed to the most sunlight.  Has to be that cause I hand wash the truck with clean water and soap then dry it with a non-abrasive drying cloth.  Never used the dealer or automated car washes.  The ONLY thing that would have “delayed” my process would have been constant garaging.

Any particular color? I have an 18 in Tungsten and haven’t noticed a problem yet. Build date was March 18. Vehicle sits outside. I do keep up on wax though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the very front edge of your hood and the very front edge of the roof?  I would be interested to see some pictures.

I recently bought a 2019 Yukon with 34,000 miles in black, assembled in September of 2018.  The pictures provided here by some members looks a lot, lot worse, but on the front edge of my hood looks a bit worn.  Also, on the hood/roof you can see some streaks in the paint that run parallel to the length of the vehicle.

I am greatly looking forward to the spring/summer when I will be able to wax and buff the car myself.  Back in 2005, I had a 10 year old, black 1995 Jeep Cherokee that had dull paint, but I was able to bring back a pretty nice shine, and this paint on the Yukon is way better than that so I am HOPEFUL that I will be able to do some good and make it look a lot better.

Being an ex-rental, it has seen a LOT of highway miles and a LOT of automatic car washes I am sure.  Although my 2011 Nissan Altima was also an ex-rental and didn't exhibit these streaks, it was not black, so black may be the easiest color to see use and abuse than any other color.  As they say, black is one of the best looking when clean, and one of the worst looking when dirty.  No doubt about it, black shows problems and filth like no other color!

Edited by BlaineBug

How does that install?  Double sided tape?  I would be concerned about water, filth, salt, etc building up between the "brow" and the hood.  Remember those old school vinyl bras?  Often times they would wreck havoc on the paint on the edges.  Create a new problem by trying to solve another.

How does that install?  Double sided tape?  I would be concerned about water, filth, salt, etc building up between the "brow" and the hood.  Remember those old school vinyl bras?  Often times they would wreck havoc on the paint on the edges.  Create a new problem by trying to solve another.

Yeah. It’s just double sided tape. The water can still flow behind it and debris doesn’t get stuck. I would rather look at this than paint chips. Double edged sword in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 black Tahoe with the paint coming off on the hood and roof also.  It looks terrible.  I called the dealership and they sent me to voicemail,   I left a message and still no reply.  For how much they cost, and seeing everyone is having an issue there should be a recall on this paint.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Black Tahoe LTZ. The hood and the roof are both fading. They look super scratched and faded. I’ve taken it to 2 different body shops and they both said this shouldn’t be happening. Anyone had any luck getting it fixed and it being covered by GM? The quotes were anywhere from $1k-$3500k. I hate to have to pay out of pocket considering how much this truck costs. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:56 PM, BlaineBug said:

Like I said, I look forward to warm weather when I give it a good hand wash and then use my orbital buffer to give it a nice polish.  Maybe April, May.  We'll see how this spring goes for temperature.

I am looking to give this a try with my orbital DA in the spring.. I have used the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine after I compounded in the fall and love it.. Keeps the car cleaner..

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53412-Solutions-Ceramic/dp/B07XYPS3PV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=turtle+wax&qid=1582096569&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFFRkJETkhZREZYT0wmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NjM3MDEyV09JWVFSU0VDS1NDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NTAyNDYzTTQxMDNLNE9JUVVLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==