Defective Paint - 2015 Suburban

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very similar problem with my 2015 Sierra Denali.  Did you have the permaplate by chance?  That seems to be what did it to mine.  Made it extremely brittle and faded quickly.

GM did absolutely nothing for me, so I got rid of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this post still active? We have a 2017 dark grey Tahoe and the paint looks horrible on the hood and roof. It looks as though it is oxidized. The rest of the vehicle is in perfect condition. They quoted us $1900 to fix it. This is bs as it is only 3 years old. 

Edited by JenJen3

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue with my 2016 Tahoe LS black with 56k miles, I noticed it about 8 months ago, now it’s look like a 22 year old Honda that sat in the sun everyday. It’s frustrating as clay at every few months and manually wash. The paint has so much oxidation. Bought it CPO with 42k miles about a year ago, my 2016 Chevy volt has absolutely no issues.

Edited by Bradleyac

Hello... I am also having trouble with bad paint on my 2016 Chevy Tahoe. I bought it brand new and take very good care of my vehicle. The paint on the hood, roof and on the top of the doors is awful. I have done nothing to cause this. 
I had taken my vehicle in to a collision center that the dealership that I bought it from also owns. They took photos and even told me of the defective paint issues. They sent them to corporate by email. I contacted them 2-3 weeks after and they had no information. I sent them another email today and I received an email and a phone call telling me that GM refuses to cover it and “Wants nothing to do with it” and that “It was from an outside source.” I’m so angry about it. It was a $70,000 vehicle that I still have 2 1/2 years of making $1000 a month payments on. 
I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any information to share with me that can help me. ([email protected])
Dawn Proefrock 

Yep - I have a 2016 Black Tahoe LT with the same issues. the hood started fading and now looks horrific. The roof has also started to go. I am getting the bums rush from both GM and the Dealer, each saying there's nothing they can do. 

I took the car to an independent for a paint evaluation, and he said every single panel will be faded within 12 months. The only remedy is to take the car down to bare metal and repaint. He said it is without doubt defective paint. 

I am about to start seeking legal action, and after reading this thread, it looks more like a class action. 

I'll post more info if I get anywhere with filing a law suit and see who wants in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received a resolution to this issue? I have contacted the manufacturer. They have stated that they will not be offering any assistance with the matter. I will now be leaving reviews on Edmunds and cars.com. I have also contacted NHTSA, although I am unsure if they will address an issue that is not safety related. The dealership body shop told me that the paint will continue to get worse quickly if it is not addressed. The black framing around the windows is starting to peel off as well. I will keep sending emails to the company. Any other suggestions?

IMG_2974.jpg

IMG_2977.jpg

window.jpg

IMG_2978.jpg

Edited by JenJen3

I have a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali that is black.  The paint starting looking dull about 6 months ago and now the entire hood and most of the roof have no clear coat left on them at all.  Took it to my local dealership and they contacted their regional manager and they said there is no warranty on the paint.  It looks horrible and I don't think a $75K vehicle that's only 5 years old should look like this!!!  If anyone has gotten any help please email me at [email protected].  Thanks!

Edited by Tracie

Hello all! I’m so glad I found this post. My 2015 Tahoe is doing the same thing. Went to my detailing guy and he said he’s never seen anything like this. I called my dealer and they asked me to bring the car in. They need to repaint our cars. I didn’t spend this much money to have my car look like it’s 20 years old. I’m so upset. 

I'm having the same issue on my 2015 black suburban.  started as small swirls (I thought a cat scratched it at first) and now whole hood is dull and roof is started to look bad.  It's at dealership right now and they are talking to GM.  Mine was garage kept alot.  it started going bad about 4.5 yrs old.

I have been sending emails to Chevrolet customer assistance and they have refused to answer now. I will be sharing my experience with others on as many forums, car review websites (cars.com, edmunds.com) and community social media groups as possible. I will also be leaving reviews on the dealership websites in my area about the quality of the paint on these vehicles. My paint is no longer smooth to the touch, it is rough like sand paper.  

Edited by JenJen3

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 Suburban with black paint that was purchased brand new from Jim Ellis in Atlanta.  I started having paint issues about a year ago on the hood.  Initially, I thought maybe on of my kids threw a towel on the hood with sand in it.  I recently noticed the roof looks horrible as well and that's when I stumbled onto this post.  I'm very frustrated with the issue.  Another issue I have is the headlight assembly on the drivers side has condensation in it and the blinker won't work.  That happened about a year ago as well.  There is so much corrosion, I have to replace the assembly, not just the bulb.  The part alone is $1,200.  This was my first GM vehicle and will be my last.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I have a 2016 black Suburban with the same issue. I first noticed it a year ago as I was washing the vehicle, and the surface felt different on the hood. I thought a cat had scratched it. And just like others have said, now it looks like someone scratched the whole hood and the entire roof surface with sandpaper. I noticed this just days after the 3 year warranty expired. I had to take the vehicle into the local dealership to address the brake recall last year, and the manager at the dealership agreed that the paint looked bad then. It's so much worse now, and makes the vehicle look so much older so prematurely. Very disappointing and frustrating.

I've also had recurring problems with the infotainment system and screen not turning on, so then the backup camera, radio, clock, navigation and all of that is inoperative. 

If anyone has had any success in addressing this paint issue, please let me know! There are a lot of us with this problem it seems. 

Thanks!

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having this problem. I have a 2016 LTZ with only 35k miles. I take great care of it. The paint on the hood started fading around May this year (guesstimate) and I just noticed it starting on the roof. I have contacted a body shop and it will cost around $2000 to fix. I bought it at dealership in the Houston area, but have not contacted them. The dealership in this area has been horrible to deal with for other warranty work. I would be interested to see if anyone actually gets it fixed by Chevrolet. 

6C3E66DB-D314-400A-AD19-69911D40803F.jpeg

51E97A59-5B98-4856-9FF3-A2A058CCA51D.jpeg

Edited by Sherri Valenzuela