2016 Silverado Chirping Noise

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site after a ton of searching for this issue first. This is on my 2016 silverado 5.3 that has 60,xxx miles on it. The chirping occurs at all engine temps and seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine in the bellhousing area. It's definitely more present down there. I've already removed the serpentine belt and started the engine to rule out any belt, alternator, or tensioner noise. I've also listened to multiple other trucks and don't hear this same noise. Any help would be appreciated! 

One possibility could be the Vacuum Pump.

It is known to Tick Tick prior to failing.

I do not hear a "Chirp" on your video but more of a long pause repeating Tick.

Can you get in the area of it to see if that is the culprit?

3 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

One possibility could be the Vacuum Pump.

It is known to Tick Tick prior to failing.

I do not hear a "Chirp" on your video but more of a long pause repeating Tick.

Can you get in the area of it to see if that is the culprit?

I guess it could be considered a tick. Sounds more like a chirp in person. I've listened in the vacuum pump area and nothing. It literally sounds like it's coming from the bellhousing. When you're under the truck it sounds like it's right in front of you when laying on your back looking up. It also seems to be a faster chirp when cold, then as it warms it slows down as far as the speed at which it does it. But none the less it is always there. 

Edited by Falconsfan1988

26 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Are you still under warranty?

Might want to take it in and have the dealer take a peek or listen.

Our K2 trucks naturally sound like sewing machines, especially the more miles that are on them.

This isn't a sewing machine/direct injection sound though. Unfortunately no i'm out of warranty. I actually just bought the truck in November. 

3 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Many of the earlier 14 and 15 models have a bit of a gear whine sound that while somewhat annoying, seem to cause no harm.

Your noise could fall into that category.

Could be, but I have friends with 2015 models and none of them have that noise. And other 2016 I have heard don't. Oh well. 

The torque converter and transmission pump are located in the bell housing. It doesn’t sound like the converter to me. I’m no expert though.

If it were mine, I’d drop the trans pan and look at the condition of the oil and pan for metal. Depending on what you find would dictate the next steps.

It looks like you have an aftermarket driveshaft. Do you know the history of the truck? Any indication it was modified and then returned to stock prior to selling it?

On 1/20/2019 at 1:10 AM, 300 Blackout said:

The torque converter and transmission pump are located in the bell housing. It doesn’t sound like the converter to me. I’m no expert though.

If it were mine, I’d drop the trans pan and look at the condition of the oil and pan for metal. Depending on what you find would dictate the next steps.

It looks like you have an aftermarket driveshaft. Do you know the history of the truck? Any indication it was modified and then returned to stock prior to selling it?

As far as I'm aware it has never been modified. I don't see anything indicating that it ever has been. That is the factory driveshaft also. I'm going to keep researching on it, I've seen a few YouTube videos of the same problem but still no answers. 

7 hours ago, Falconsfan1988 said:

As far as I'm aware it has never been modified. I don't see anything indicating that it ever has been. That is the factory driveshaft also. I'm going to keep researching on it, I've seen a few YouTube videos of the same problem but still no answers. 

Are there any heat shields rubbing? I seem to remember some kind of bulletin for a shield by the starter or bellhousing that could rub and make a noise.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:22 AM, Falconsfan1988 said:

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site after a ton of searching for this issue first. This is on my 2016 silverado 5.3 that has 60,xxx miles on it. The chirping occurs at all engine temps and seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine in the bellhousing area. It's definitely more present down there. I've already removed the serpentine belt and started the engine to rule out any belt, alternator, or tensioner noise. I've also listened to multiple other trucks and don't hear this same noise. Any help would be appreciated! 

Try listening to the top of the engine near the firewall on the passenger side of the engine. If that's where it is I've been told its normal. My 2016 6.2 did it. Has something to do with fuel pressure bleed off if I rememberer correctly

• 4 years later...

Any solution ever found for this? Also is there an updated link to the video? I’m pretty sure I’m having the same issue on my 5.3 2016 suburban. A repeating chirp with a pause between each one that is longer the warmer the car is. Thanks!

This youtube video chirp is more consistent but it may be relevent. The example is at 58:32 minutes. The cause was a bad lifter and cam.

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2019 at 5:22 AM, Falconsfan1988 said:

Hey guys, this is my first post on this site after a ton of searching for this issue first. This is on my 2016 silverado 5.3 that has 60,****** miles on it. The chirping occurs at all engine temps and seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine in the bellhousing area. It's definitely more present down there. I've already removed the serpentine belt and started the engine to rule out any belt, alternator, or tensioner noise. I've also listened to multiple other trucks and don't hear this same noise. Any help would be appreciated! 

is it possible it's your adaptive exhaust valve?

Go underneath and move it by hand, see if it makes the chirping noise. I just secured mine today and it was 100% that noise I've been dealing with for over a year.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/266667-squeaking-underneath-truck-solved/

• Like 1