6 Digits: Clyde the K2EC at 100,000

On January 10th, after roughly 2.5 years of driving, I crossed the 100k milestone

1iRp9BL.jpg

Here's my experience with the K2XX platform, in specifics, the K2EC (Extended Chevy) layout.

Drivetrain: Left rear axle seal replaced at 91,154 miles, as well as the oil cooler lines. Both were warranty items performed at no charge at my local Chevrolet dealer. They reported a small radiator leak, but coolant loss has been below detectable levels (I poke my head under the hood every fuel up, and have yet to notice anything). Other than that, there have been no concerns. Though there was a 4WD software reflash at 17, 285 miles, there has never been any issue with 4WD operation in high or low speed. 

The transmission....shifts like a charm. The first 1-2 shift, after a cold start, is lurchy, but after that it clears up. I have found that driving like a hooligan every once in a blue moon keeps it running great. Seriously, a launch from a dead stop to the govenor, as well as some spirited driving :thumbs: :driving:has a slight positive effect on the ol' butt dyno. At any rate, I have not visited the dealership for transmission issues. The trans, diffs, and transfer case have received fluid drain and fills every 35k so far, so perhaps that is of some assistance. 

The legendary L86....one of the primary requirements on the shopping list. Lives up to the hype, and then some, and some more after that. A freaking HOOT to drive. Amazing mileage when I want, and insane performance when I floor the loud pedal :D  Quaker State Dexos every 5k, my Blackstone reports come back amazing, and no catch can. So far so good!

Brakes are excellent. One fluid exchange at 68,735 miles. Still on the factory pads. I did have to change the left rear shoes (90,084) and cable (91,608) as a result of the axle seal leak, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with the dealer about warranty coverage. 

I'm on my 5th set of wheels. I swapped the factory 18s for polished 20s. Plains tire mutilated my first set, so I had a local set swap on a used set. Plains maimed the left rear, so I used that as an excuse to have Big O swap on 4 new ones. After a retread impact, White's gouging one and scratching another with the lug wrench, and White's shipping roughing the lip of one up, I broke down and got a new set of 4 this past week. At no point did I experience vibrations, runout, handling issues, or other problems due to the quality of the wheels. All defects were somewhat extraordinary cosmetic defects encountered in the real world. Yes, I am extremely picky, perhaps excessively so. :nonod:

• Like 4

Frame? No issues.

Exhaust: I replaced the OEM system with the Chevy Borla system at 25,339 miles. After I botched the installation, I installed a new one at 49,846. I replaced it again at 54,104 miles due to a rattle and a howl. They are sending me a new midpipe for the same howl, so that should hopefully cure it. Otherwise, I LOVE this system. Loud when you need it, quiet when you don't :D

Bumpers? No issues. I clipped a metal fence post with the right front, and the deformation was more easily fixed by replacement than repair. Otherwise they have done well, and respond VERY well to Mother's all chrome. 

Bodywork: To be expected for 2015. The only accident damage I had was from hitting a metal fence post (think like a reflector pole) with the right front. The fender was repairable, the bumper and hood needed replacing, and the grille was replaced, though I still have the original. The headlight was also replaced, due to cracks, though everything functioned normally. I had to PDR a dent on the left front caused by a flying socket, and thanks to Impact, you can't tell it happened!

Paint: I hate water based. Rock chip city. That being said, it's not too bad, just annoying. 

Glass: No issues. On 3rd windshield due to previous voluntary replacements.

Interior: Fit and finish is good. Had to tighten a few bolts to get rid of those pesky vibrations/rattles (like a total of 4), but otherwise no issues. Steering wheel, center console, seating surfaces, and door panels have all worn VERY well. They look impressive for 100k miles. 

Infotainment: No issues. I love Chevy MyLink!

Overall, VERY happy with my Chevy! I love my Silverado. 10/10 stars, would drive again! :D:lol:

• Like 4

9 hours ago, batman900 said:

Good name and good review, AFM still active as well? 

Thank you!

Yes AFM is still alive and well. I've pushed my luck many a times thanks to the AFM and have never run the tank dry. Speeds of 55 mph reliably return 24+ MPG, so I have been happy to keep it. 

Something to note, I will say the Range feature on the DIC is impressively accurate. I know I shouldn't but there have been a few trips where I decided to press on because the Range estimator says I had a few MILES more than the distance to my destination. I have not run out of fuel trusting it, so I now take its word reliably. 

I will add that there was minor surface rust beginning to appear on the frame rail in the left side wheel well. After a treatment of AmsOil HP metal protector nothing has appeared yet. The frame wax isn't too bad, just not as durable in some spots. 

Edited by CadillacLuke24
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Yes I see a ton of smoke come out of my tailpipe if I give it the business and havent done so in while. I’n convinced that oil sits in the intake and when you floor it it sort of clears it out

All modern DI engines do this. Some worse than others. Direct Injection increases crankcase pressures which send misted oil into the intake tube. I would be curious to follow someone with a catch can and see it that eliminates or reduces this. I was following a Hemi the other day when he passed a guy, it spelt like I was following a 1973 Ford with a bad head gasket and worn out piston rings. 

On 1/20/2019 at 12:03 AM, CadillacLuke24 said:

On January 10th, after roughly 2.5 years of driving, I crossed the 100k milestone

1iRp9BL.jpg

Here's my experience with the K2XX platform, in specifics, the K2EC (Extended Chevy) layout.

Drivetrain: Left rear axle seal replaced at 91,154 miles, as well as the oil cooler lines. Both were warranty items performed at no charge at my local Chevrolet dealer. They reported a small radiator leak, but coolant loss has been below detectable levels (I poke my head under the hood every fuel up, and have yet to notice anything). Other than that, there have been no concerns. Though there was a 4WD software reflash at 17, 285 miles, there has never been any issue with 4WD operation in high or low speed. 

The transmission....shifts like a charm. The first 1-2 shift, after a cold start, is lurchy, but after that it clears up. I have found that driving like a hooligan every once in a blue moon keeps it running great. Seriously, a launch from a dead stop to the govenor, as well as some spirited driving :thumbs: :driving:has a slight positive effect on the ol' butt dyno. At any rate, I have not visited the dealership for transmission issues. The trans, diffs, and transfer case have received fluid drain and fills every 35k so far, so perhaps that is of some assistance. 

The legendary L86....one of the primary requirements on the shopping list. Lives up to the hype, and then some, and some more after that. A freaking HOOT to drive. Amazing mileage when I want, and insane performance when I floor the loud pedal :D  Quaker State Dexos every 5k, my Blackstone reports come back amazing, and no catch can. So far so good!

Brakes are excellent. One fluid exchange at 68,735 miles. Still on the factory pads. I did have to change the left rear shoes (90,084) and cable (91,608) as a result of the axle seal leak, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with the dealer about warranty coverage. 

I'm on my 5th set of wheels. I swapped the factory 18s for polished 20s. Plains tire mutilated my first set, so I had a local set swap on a used set. Plains maimed the left rear, so I used that as an excuse to have Big O swap on 4 new ones. After a retread impact, White's gouging one and scratching another with the lug wrench, and White's shipping roughing the lip of one up, I broke down and got a new set of 4 this past week. At no point did I experience vibrations, runout, handling issues, or other problems due to the quality of the wheels. All defects were somewhat extraordinary cosmetic defects encountered in the real world. Yes, I am extremely picky, perhaps excessively so. :nonod:

Hopefully you found a gas station by 100050. 

• Haha 2

Nice.  Great to see happy owners 100K into their ownership.  Maybe Chevy can do one of those "real people" ads about your truck. j/k.  :lol:  In all seriousness great to hear positive durability and performance news.  The avg mileage on the DIC for your truck is really good as well-I know you said it did really well on gas.