Need help choosing the right 33x12.5 and 20x12 set up. Thinking BDS or Zone 4"

5c62181ce0a4fdf21de617cc64423e5e.jpg

30d4c267206bd6830c43b49c891568a5.jpg

0fb0784a324a90de9906c09560444107.jpg

4.5” Zone set at 5.75” (pic of angles attached) with bilstein 5100s on 33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and 22x10 AFs and it rides great. I’ve run a lot of tires and in my opinion the Toyo AT2 are the best riding tires out there with the Nittos a close second. This is my second Zone kit and I’m more than happy with it. If you plan on running coilovers I’d go BDS, if not I’d go Zone with the 5100s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It depends on what is important to you?  If you just want to get up in the air with a solid set up zone is the way to go. Zone is basic and you DEFINITELY don’t want to go higher later with the zone lift seeing as it does not have a differential drop included like the BDS or CV spacers like the BDS. You  would have some crazy angles going on if you went up any taller you’re going to have some pretty severe suspension angles going on regardless because it doesn’t have those components that the BDS does so that’s going to put your CV axle‘s at a pretty aggressive slant.  I chose BDS because of their Fox coil over system that’s what sold me and I went with the rear leaf packs as well because I tow from time to time and I don’t like the axle wrap you can get with really tall blocks when you need to get on the gas but those are both just additional options you do not have to have they just make things a little nicer.

BDS and Zone are identical kits. Both are 4-6/4.5-6.5” kits. The components are identical. Only differences are the angle of the front cross member and the use of strut spacers vs replacement struts. I’ve run several kits by BDS and Zone

• Like 1

BDS and Zone are identical kits. Both are 4-6/4.5-6.5” kits. The components are identical. Only differences are the angle of the front cross member and the use of strut spacers vs replacement struts. I’ve run several kits by BDS and Zone

About time you stepped in to straighten this thread out. LOL

Yeah, CovetedStyle, I'm afraid you're misinformed my friend.  Zone does include CV spacers and diff drop brackets just like BDS.  JimmyBoy is correct.  I have a 6.5" Zone with Fox coilovers.  Unless you examine the crossmember, you wouldn't know the difference.  One other thing Jimmy didn't mention, although minor, is the Zone kit makes you cut the stock tie rods....BDS kit includes new tierod ends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SSchup said:

That's false information, the Zone 4 1/2" is no different then the BDS 4". It has the same dif drop and CV spacers. They just use different components for the Struts and rear to achieve the lift. Adding another 2" to either is no different then adding a 2" level to a stock truck. The BDS and Zone 4 1/2" and BDS 4" use the same crossmember drop for the Zone 6 1/2" &  BDS 6" kit. Another words both the BDS 6" and the Zone 6 1/2" are just stretched versions of the 4" and 4 1/2" kits.

The bds 4 set up for it but clearly in the picture there is no dif drop nor a mounting point for a dif drop on the control arm drops from zone. Just going off the picture.

The bds 4 set up for it but clearly in the picture there is no dif drop nor a mounting point for a dif drop on the control arm drops from zone. Just going off the picture.

I have the zone, do you want a pic of my diff drop? The zone and bds are identical kits with the few minor exceptions mentioned. Both 4/4.5 and 6/6.5 kits are identical. I’ve had 3 BDS and 2 Zone lifted trucks.

2 minutes ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

I have the zone, do you want a pic of my diff drop? The zone and bds are identical kits with the few minor exceptions mentioned. Both 4/4.5 and 6/6.5 kits are identical. I’ve had 3 BDS and 2 Zone lifted trucks.

Haha I’m not challenging your information you could have fifty trucks with every lift out. Like I said I was basing it of the picture. I know they are similar that was the only thing that stood out to me. If you say it’s there it’s there.:thumbs: 

• Like 1

Haha I’m not challenging your information you could have fifty trucks with every lift out. Like I said I was basing it of the picture. I know they are similar that was the only thing that stood out to me. If you say it’s there it’s there.:thumbs: 

lol I’m still gonna get you a pic when it stops raining. I deal in proof lol

• Like 1

Better yet, the installation instructions (step 36)

http://4x4media.info/instructions/zon/C2456_C2656.pdf

9 minutes ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

Better yet, the installation instructions (step 36)

http://4x4media.info/instructions/zon/C2456_C2656.pdf

I stand corrected, it was a 2wd lift kit in the pic so obviously no dif drop. These are the actual 4wd kits (very similar with $800 price tag difference)

614A37E4-90D9-4DE9-B93D-01ACCDB92D76.jpeg

E22EFB71-3475-4A62-951E-C0165204FA20.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darksky said:

IMHO, a 20” wheel with a 33” tire yields very little side wall. It will be noticeably short, this looks odd on a 4WD truck and is working against your ride quality. The sidewall of your tire contributes to your ride quality by allowing the tire to absorb  some of the shock from the roadway without transmitting it directly to the suspension. The shorter the sidewall becomes, the less it is able to do so. Also, if you’re concerned about curb rash, a taller sidewall keeps the rim further away from the curb, which protects it somewhat 

I also think that on a truck, having the wheels be at the absolute max width for the tire looks funny as well. With a 4” lift you may encounter some scrubbing issues at lock. I would test fit the heck out of whatever combo you pick to ensure the offset you choose is correct for the application. Having ill fitting wheel/tire combinations can make a great truck a PITA as a daily driver.

I have considered going 18" or 17" rims if I end up sticking with a 10" wide. It's almost impossible to find a 18x12 rim though. 

You may think having a wide stance looks funny but for some of us it's what we like. I think it's odd when people have super skinny 35s on. Just looks funny to me. I believe trucks should have a wide stance 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

5c62181ce0a4fdf21de617cc64423e5e.jpg

30d4c267206bd6830c43b49c891568a5.jpg

0fb0784a324a90de9906c09560444107.jpg

4.5” Zone set at 5.75” (pic of angles attached) with bilstein 5100s on 33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and 22x10 AFs and it rides great. I’ve run a lot of tires and in my opinion the Toyo AT2 are the best riding tires out there with the Nittos a close second. This is my second Zone kit and I’m more than happy with it. If you plan on running coilovers I’d go BDS, if not I’d go Zone with the 5100s

What do you mean by 4.5" set at 5.75"? Is that cause of the 5100s you have them set up on their height too?

I've heard good about nitto too... youve got the next body style but what's your roof height? Do you have any rubbing issues? Looks like you got the wide stance I like with only 10" wide 

How quickly do the bjs and wheel bearings wear out with the 4 inch zone/BDS? could it be DD reliably?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I DD mine with 0 issues. As long as you run the lift within spec you’ll be fine