Ebay RKE wont program

I purchased a used rke for a 2015 yukon denali.  I followed the instructions in the manual to program but with no success.

I then decided to do the 30 min program and wipe all the keys and start over.  I was able to program the old keys back to the car but the new key was not recognized by the vehicle at all.

Does the key need to be reset or cleared?  Does anybody have any ideas?  Right now I have a 60 dollar key chain :,-(

Not so happy about that,  all the articles and the manual dont say anything about restrictions. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Does this truck have option BTM?  If yes then you can program FOB's/Keys yourself ( as log as you have a known good and programmed to your truck FOB ).

Here is the official version.

Adding Transmitters (Without SPS)

Note:

• Verify all mechanical keys operate correctly before beginning any programming procedures.
  • To initiate, this procedure requires that 1 learned transmitter be available.
  • A total of eight transmitters can be learned to a single vehicle.
  • This procedure adds transmitters only. The procedure does not erase previously learned transmitters.

Note: For the transmitter pocket location refer to the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation document in the owner manual.

1. Place the recognized transmitter(s) in the vehicle cupholder.
  2. Insert the mechanical key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder located on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within ten seconds. The driver information center will display Ready For Remote #2, 3, 4, etc..
  3. Place the new transmitter into the transmitter pocket.
  4. Press and release the ignition mode switch. When the transmitter is learned, the driver information center will indicate that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
  5. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the transmitter unlock button. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 3 through 5.
  6. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the ignition mode switch for 15 seconds to exit programming mode.
  7. Verify each transmitter and key is operating properly. Operate each of the keyless entry functions using the buttons on the transmitter. On vehicles with a keyed ignition switch, verify the mechanical key by starting the vehicle using the ignition switch. When verifying operation, make sure that no other transmitters are near the vehicle.

NOTE: These instructions MUST be followed to the letter.

If this procedure fails then you either already have 8 programmed FOB's or have a bad or wrong FOB.

If you don't have option BTM, you can't do it yourself. Needs to be done at a dealer via SPS.

Hey man thanks so much for the reply.  The steps you listed are what is listed in my owners manual and they work perfect for my original keys.  

I suppose my question now is, does the key fob have to be programmed to the vehicle before the vehicle can be programmed to the fob?

Example, can I take my buddy's denali fob and program it to my vehicle following the steps you listed?

Or does the fob itself need to be coded to my vehicle before I can program it to the vehicle filling the steps listed.

From what I am reading I believe it to be the latter, just sucks cause there is not explanation of this in the manuel.

I called the dealer today and they said the weren't positive but they believe if a fob is programmed to a vehicle that it can not be reprogrammed to another.

Is this the case?

Does your truck have options BTM and or ATH. Found in the glove box label. Some GM vehicle remotes have a two way learn procedure where the fob learns the VIN of the vehicle. I don't think it is the case on your truck but I'm not sure. Once learned, they cannot be relearned to any other vehicle. It is done behind the scene so to speak. I'm still doing some research but not having a lot of luck. GM is not forth coming with this type of info for security reasons I suppose. I'm thinking you have a wrong or defective remote. Do the part numbers on the remotes match?

Hey thanks again for the reply!

My glove box has both ATH and BCM

I am attaching a photo, because I dont know what I am looking at.

Edit: key fob model number is the same as my original,  Ebay seller also said it was for a 2015 yukon xl denali

Edited by MBRedline

At this point it appears you have two options. Return or exchage the fob or take the truck and all fobs to a dealer and have them try it using GM SPS system. It will cost whether it works or not though. Getting a new bad fob is not all that rare.

Hope you can get your money back on the used one. You could also see if there are any new ones for sale on Ebay from a GM Dealer. Lots of Dealers sell on Ebay. Cheaper prices, no tax and free shipping. The Dealer would then only charge to program or you could use a local locksmith. Good luck.