Cold Air Intake System

I just purchased a new 5.3 for my 2000 Sierra 1500. I decided to add a cold air intake system. I bought the kit that Summit offers mainly because it's boxed for Summit by K&N and comes with all K&N parts.

I thought this would be an easy swap but I found out it wasn't.

I tried for hours to get the shield to fit where my factory airbox goes. After giving up, I called a friend that works for K&N and sent him multiple pictures of of my situation and it had him stumped.

After taking a good look at things, I ran my VIN number and found my truck has the larger radiator for an engine and tranny cooler.

Getting back to K&N, he tells me they do not offer a kit for this setup and he suggests me modifying the shield to make things work.

Has anyone ran into this situation before and if so, how did you modify things to work.

Thank you

Bruce

I have not ran across that but know of the larger radiator in that model Silverado and it does make things interesting.  Hopefully someone will chime in with a suggestion. 

I just put a MIT tube on my 2002 Silverado and kept the stock air box. 

• Like 1

I have been looking an cant find anyone who has had the same issue. I think given you skills it should be easy to fabricate the heat shield or possibly improve on the design.

Sounds like something I would work on, everything I own seems to be custom in some fashion or another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bruce69camaro said:

I was also checking around and didn't have any luck.

I guess it's time to get the tin snips out and do some modification.

Bruce

Post some photos when your done. Your have my curiosity going 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

When I get it done, I'll post some pictures in case this ever happens to anyone else.

I seriously thought about just keeping the stock box in, but I'm $200 in the hole and part of that was a Summit gift card from my wife, so I need to use this kit.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let you know, the snow is not cooperating with us and I haven't had the time to swap in the new system, but when I do, I'll post some pictures just in case someone else like me, runs into the same issue.

• Thanks 1