CST 4.5” lift- what stops down travel?

4 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

There definitely should be some kind if physical/mechanical stop to upward and downward travel. The struts should not be it. 

This how I was thinking, seems like a lot of stress to the shocks/mounts/bushings otherwise.  The below article talks about overextended suspension and adding straps to limit down travel. I wonder if straps should be added to CST lifts given the removal of bump stops. Check out the pic and description of the messed up bushing on the shocks lower mount, which was caused by excessive droop/extension/downward travel.

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/how-to-protect-your-ifs-with-limit-straps/

Edited by cr250Silverado

This how I was thinking, seems like a lot of stress to the shocks/mounts/bushings otherwise.  The below article talks about overextended suspension and adding straps to limit down travel. I wonder if straps should be added to CST lifts given the removal of bump stops. Check out the pic and description of the messed up bushing on the shocks lower mount, which was caused by excessive droop/extension/downward travel.

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/how-to-protect-your-ifs-with-limit-straps/

I completely see your concern. But the thin pc of bump stop that was removed was in no way capable of keeping the lifted suspension from bottoming out. I’m completely interested in doing whatever and everything needed to keep my suspension in excellent working condition but I do not see the point of limiting suspension with straps unless you’re planning on jumping dunes or equivalent which in that case I’d highly recommend more than a medium travel suspension. My installer did mention to me that unless I’m planning on jumping 10’ in the air or as mentioned, dunes, then there’s no way I’m going to damage the suspension.

Sent from above

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 2/18/2019 at 6:41 AM, TXGREEK said:

In addition to the design of the kit which limits any bottoming out, the shocks also have built in bump stops too. Btw, calling CST is the best way to get your question answered.

Sent from above

I know this thread is a bit old but looking seriously the CST lift for my truck. I had a question, how did you decide on the CST Coilovers vs' Fox or King? I'm sure CST will say they are just as good or better but curious if you researched it and what made you decide on the CST coilovers. 

• Like 1

I know this thread is a bit old but looking seriously the CST lift for my truck. I had a question, how did you decide on the CST Coilovers vs' Fox or King? I'm sure CST will say they are just as good or better but curious if you researched it and what made you decide on the CST coilovers. 

Posted a reply but didn’t show up. Ok, I went with CST Coil Overs cause they’re built by the awesome people that build the heavy duty lift so it only made sense especially cause a few people have done the same and only have great reviews on them. I may swap mine out for the adjustable versions so I can tune them based on the road service I’m on. I off road a bit when I hog hunt and have zero complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, old thread I know, but I'm looking hard at the CST 4.5" lift for my 2018 Silverado.  Since some of you have it, does the kit require any cutting or permanent removal or alteration of any frame or crossmember parts of the truck?  I've also looked at the Cognito, but I don't like that it kicks your wheels out a couple inches on each side.

There's definitely cutting involved, The rear LCA mount on the drivers side has to be cut in order to drop the front Dif, like all full lifts. Also the UCA mounts have to be trimmed and the droop stops are removed to install the new brackets. No cutting or removing fins on the front diff is required like some others.

Here's a link to an installation.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1705-lifting-a-2017-silverado-1500-z71-with-cst-and-deaver

• Like 1