Gas vs. Diesel, please read 1st

2 minutes ago, 2016HD said:

What is your point. I covered that in my post. Diesel get more mpg but not enough to make up the initial costs and repairs.  And like i said Diesel will pull it faster but not buy a huge margin.  Its personal preference!!  

but dont rag on a gas engine because of RPM when that is what they are designed to do. 

Another point- Yes the 1500 engines are as strong or stronger than the 6.0l.  But They will not live at those rpms while fully loaded for the same time as an HD truck.  Not tested or designed to do so Also not setup with the cooling reguired for sustained Load.  

Initial cost and repairs?  Marginal.  Gas guys always got to rag about cost and repairs because they were too broke to go diesel.  It's all ok.  

1 hour ago, bshort said:

Initial cost and repairs?  Marginal.  Gas guys always got to rag about cost and repairs because they were too broke to go diesel.  It's all ok.  

LMAO!!!!!!  :)     Let me know when you need work done! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bshort said:

it is all about priorities.  i have gobs of $ in my 65 gto and a kid in private school.  driving a nicer truck is the least of my concerns.  another guy might look at my bloody knuckles from working on my old car and think “i’ll skip the hot rod and get a nicer truck.” that guy wouldn’t be wrong, but he also wouldn’t be me.

Edited by i82much

On 3/7/2019 at 5:56 AM, DaBomb6988 said:

You wouldn’t have any trouble with the 6l maintaining that speed or more at that weight. Also keep in mind. Max torque is made @4200rpm with a 6l. Which is turning pretty good but they are built for that. That’s the main difference between gas and diesel power output. Gas=High RPM. Diesel=Low RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While max torque is indeed at 4200 RPM, it reaches 90% torque at 2100 RPM.  A nice relatively flat torque curve from there to 4200 RPM.  So in most cases, one really doesn't need to have the motor screaming to get good work out of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bshort said:

Well, not really.  I own diesel trucks that the motors alone cost as much to replace as an entire Chevy pickup costs.  But for my personal use, the 6.0L gasser does a killer job in my 2500.  While I do use diesel in my commercial stuff, I want nothing to do with diesel in my personal stuff ever since the emissions junk started getting piled on.  And seeing who is driving diesel pickups every day, (I cover about 2500 miles a week thru at least 7 states), I am convinced that many folks get diesel pickups more for a fashion statement than really needing it.  As if diesel is some sort of testosterone booster and they can rag on the gasser owners.   Doesn't hurt my ego one bit to have a Dmax 2500 sitting next to my gasser 2500 at the light. Especially when I fill  with E85 for $1.44 / gallon right now.  Even with the lower mpg of E85, my fuel cost per mile is far lower than any diesel 2500  will do.  And I could replace the 6.0L motor in my 2500 with a crate motor and still be at a lower cost than just the initial buy of a Dmax 2500.  Cheaper to buy, operate, and maintain.  Yep, I like my gasser 2500.  And it has enough power to pull my 21,000 lb Freightliner semi truck tractor thru 2 miles of hilly, extremely muddy rural roads to the hard road.  The semi truck just buried itself in the mud and wouldn't move a foot. I have just what I need in a pickup  truck.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 1

I’ll pile on here too. Gasser end of story! Unless you want a Diesel or tow a lot. I have both my diesel is my weekend toy. It’s far from stock and puts a smile on my face everyday I drive it. I buy 6.0l gassers for my work trucks. I’ve had 2 go over 200k without a major repair and my 2015 is sitting at 170k with only a brake job done thanks to a stuck caliper. They all get ragged on barley a day goes by they don’t see 5000rpms. They tow maybe once a month, but I do try and stay under 9000lbs. I can justify hiring a hotshot for anything more then that. I love my diesels, but my work trucks have to be practical. So as long as GM produces a dependable gasser I will own one for work.

7 hours ago, Cowpie said:

I am convinced that many folks get diesel pickups more for a fashion statement than really needing it.  As if diesel is some sort of testosterone booster and they can rag on the gasser owners.   .

lol you should see the fools on facebook and in the 2500 groups. it gets even worse. by the way..looks like he deleted his comment from earlier

Edited by jerseytaylor

12 hours ago, dozerboy said:

I’ll pile on here too. Gasser end of story! Unless you want a Diesel or tow a lot. I have both my diesel is my weekend toy. It’s far from stock and puts a smile on my face everyday I drive it. I buy 6.0l gassers for my work trucks. I’ve had 2 go over 200k without a major repair and my 2015 is sitting at 170k with only a brake job done thanks to a stuck caliper. They all get ragged on barley a day goes by they don’t see 5000rpms. They tow maybe once a month, but I do try and stay under 9000lbs. I can justify hiring a hotshot for anything more then that. I love my diesels, but my work trucks have to be practical. So as long as GM produces a dependable gasser I will own one for work.

You and a lot of other fleet owners agree.  And it is why Isuzu and Fuso are kicking out new  class 5's this year with the GM 6.0 L96 gasser in them.  With the emissions stuff, it just isn't worth the cost and hassle.  The 6.0 is a rock solid platform.  

And this could get more interesting.  Out in California, there is legislation starting up to eliminate diesel vehicles from the entire state by 2050.  From a commercial truck standpoint, I could see this sort of thing coming from a long way off.

On 3/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, bshort said:

Wow. Marginal? You feeling the butt-hurt because you realized just how much less a gasser is? 

To make a statement about my income bracket because I didn't buy a diesel says alot about your character, and just how "not" marginal the cost difference is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ewbldavis said:

Wow. Marginal? You feeling the butt-hurt because you realized just how much less a gasser is? 

To make a statement about my income bracket because I didn't buy a diesel says alot about your character, and just how "not" marginal the cost difference is. 

Huh? Babble on......

All of my personal trucks have been diesels.  Not one problem with any of them.  I prefer how they drive and tow over the gas.  Even if I don't tow everyday, really only a couple times a month, I want to have the power and low revs of the Duramax.  When I'm not towing I still personally prefer driving the diesel.  I'm not worried about additional maintenance costs, its part of the deal (DEF and more expensive oil changes, higher diesel cost).  Its quieter in my opinion and does the job easier.  The other factor is the Allison transmission which is often overlooked in these comparisons but is a big part of the diesel equation..That said, the 6.0 will do everything you need it to and then some.

We order our work fleet with the 6.0 to save some upfront cost.  The 6.0 is bullet proof and we have had no problem pushing them to 300k and beyond, no issues at all with the motors.  The only issues we have had is with transmissions, we have had many that need replacement anywhere from 100-120k.  Offsets the cost of the diesel somewhat forking out tranny rebuilds.

Edited by CRApex
Cleaned it up

On 3/14/2019 at 7:14 PM, bshort said:

So my truck cost 54k, got them down to 42k, same truck in diesel would have been 70k plus, and that's marginal? Tell me something my truck can't do that yours can. It's all ok. More money then brains, keep posting laughs are good.

Edited by gearheadesw

2 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

So my truck cost 54k, got them down to 42k, same truck in diesel would have been 70k plus, and that's marginal? Tell me something my truck can't do that yours can. It's all ok. More money then brains, keep posting laughs are good.

Retain value. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

Anyone that pays 70k plus for even the top of the line fully loaded High Country paid wayyyy too much.  Yours looks like a double cab so I'd agree it will be cheaper than a fully loaded diesel but your numbers example is way off.  Both good trucks and both will get the job done, it really depends what you want or need.

• Like 1